Open G tuning for a Concert Uke?

AaronD

Reaction score
I just picked up a concert uke. I've been playing the banjo for a little while. Is it possible to tune a concert uke to match a banjo tuning - DGBD?

Thanks!

Yes,

You will likely need different strings...I will let someone else chime in about the proper strings for that tuning though as I have never tried it.

Is it possible to tune a concert uke to match a banjo tuning - DGBD?

Hi AaronD

If you're interested in using the same chord shapes (that is, keeping the relative relation among strings same as banjo), then you can tune the A string (1st string) down to G. You get G C E G and that's same as the banjo capoed at 5th. There is no danger of damage etc.

If you want to match the banjo strings, you are better off putting on a baritone ukulele strings which is tuned to D* G B E. Then, you can tuine the 1st string to D. Note D* is one octave lower, so you get exactly same pitches as banjo. A concert has a shorter scale length so you may find the strings too slack but there won't be damage. Also, baritone strings may be too thick and may not sit well on your nut slots.

If you want to do this, you may want to get a baritone ukulele eventually.

Cheers
Chief

Go with the open "C" tuning "GCEG". On a concert uke getting the "DGBD" tuning is going to be difficult. The concert scale is too short and you will lose tone and volume. The open "C" tuning is slack key ukulele.

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I just tried to the open C tuning, and it's nice to bring all my open tuning chord shapes to the ukulele. I mainly got the ukulele to have something smaller that I could fool around with when it's not practical to bring my banjo.

I picked up a baritone uke first, but it was big enough not to feel super-portable. The concert uke is a lot of fun.

Top Bottom