Ohana CK-60c

bbqribs

Reaction score
So I got the Ohana mahogany cutaway concert, and showed it to my teacher. He looked it over and asked me how much I paid for it. I said "How much do you think?" and he answered "40 dollars." Oh well. I'm happy with it, and think its just the right thing for me in this stage of my development.

I am sorry your teacher wasn't more supportive. I had an accordion teacher and he always acted like you had to have these accordions that cost 1,000's of dollars and I just couldn't afford that. Ohana is a good dependable brand. Enjoy.

Thanks. The only thing I can think of was that he knows I've gotten some steals on ebay in the past. Still "ouch." He is also a little out of touch with prices, like when he suggested go out and buy a Kamaka tenor, since I like my soprano one so much! But truly, I feel like the Ohana is a perfect fit, for now.

I think all those mid level ukes, the Ohana and Mainland are excellent and affordably. Also for me I am exploring my likes and dislikes so that when I get the high end uke I won't make an expensive mistake.

I've played Kamakas and Koalohas and Ohanas and others in between. For learning, general playing and just having a good time, there isn't that much difference. While I would rather have one of the Ks or an expensive custom, as long as it has decent tone (every ohana I have played does), has good intonation, and stays in tune, there is nothing wrong with an intermediate priced (or even lower priced) instrument.

I don't know this guy, but so far he sounds like someone is either uninformed, a total snob, insensitive, or all of the both. I hope he is good teacher to make up for it. I wonder if he knows this song is a satire?

Last edited:
I've played Kamakas and Koalohas and Ohanas and others in between. For learning, general playing and just having a good time, there isn't that much difference. While I would rather have one of the Ks or an expensive custom, as long as it has decent tone (every ohana I have played does), has good intonation, and stays in tune, there is nothing wrong with an intermediate priced (or even lower priced) instrument.

I don't know this guy, but so far he sounds like someone is either uninformed, a total snob, insensitive, or all of the both. I hope he is good teacher to make up for it. I wonder if he knows this song is a satire?

Love your vid, I'm going to watch it again later on today. My teacher is good. He is 80 and doesn't lust after ukes online like the rest of us. Many stories of how he has gone through dozens of ukes, including Kamakas hand selected for him. (including being sat on, being hit by a jealous wife, and hitting someone with one himself)

My teacher is good. He is 80 and doesn't lust after ukes online like the rest of us. Many stories of how he has gone through dozens of ukes, including Kamakas hand selected for him. (including being sat on, being hit by a jealous wife, and hitting someone with one himself)

More teacher stories please...:eek:ld:

Love your vid, I'm going to watch it again later on today. My teacher is good. He is 80 and doesn't lust after ukes online like the rest of us. Many stories of how he has gone through dozens of ukes, including Kamakas hand selected for him. (including being sat on, being hit by a jealous wife, and hitting someone with one himself)

Well that is what really counts then. I have sat at the feet of great teachers with strange opinions in my life too. The learning was worth it and I just let the rest roll. When I was in High School, I took private trumpet lessons in the summer so I could learn enough to get in the band. When my teacher found out I was going to be in the marching band, he about had a heart attack. He said all that bouncing around would ruin my embouchure. He taught me more in a few months than I learned in 4 years from the band director. I did it anyway (that was the whole idea in the first place). Maybe that is why I never became an Al Hirt?

Being able to be a bit eccentric is one of the few benefits I am finding as I get older.

Last edited:
So I got the Ohana mahogany cutaway concert, and showed it to my teacher. He looked it over and asked me how much I paid for it. I said "How much do you think?" and he answered "40 dollars." Oh well. I'm happy with it, and think its just the right thing for me in this stage of my development.

He's 80. He still thinks that $40 is a lot of money for a 'ukulele.

He's 80. He still thinks that $40 is a lot of money for a 'ukulele.

Yeah. This guy lived through the Great Depression. So he was probably being supportive and actually complimenting your uke--because $40 in his day would have bought you a heck of a uke!

Top Bottom