What do you all think of the Eddy Finn Ukes?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
Has anybody heard or played one. I can't say as that I dig the shark fin sound hole shape, but I may be in the minority. Anybody mess with them at NAMM?

They are awesome, and smell good to boot. What I could hear from them they sound really nice. I will be gettting some in for review soon. Keep your eyes open. I know eddyfinn, Mim, salualady also know more than I do about them.

I didn't play one (no point with the showroom floor noise), but I was in the booth looking around, and Mike Schwab (a UU member) said that the designer that used to work for Bushman designed it. I think Bushman's had a pretty good reputation for sound at one time, so these might sound as good. I am sure you could PM eddyfinnguy and get more details.
–Lori

Has anybody heard or played one. I can't say as that I dig the shark fin sound hole shape, but I may be in the minority. Anybody mess with them at NAMM?

I have yet to play one but I have their dealer info and catalog. They have 3 models mahogany that are traditional soundholes. Many models are solid tops and lams with a listing of a solid koa , solid mahogany and solid acacia. They also have a entry level soprano in many colors called the minnow plus a soprano banjolele.

any updated comments on Eddy Finns?

I played one at UWC in 2011 - I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed with it - especially after all the NAMM hype. The action was pretty high at the nut and very high at the bridge, and it didn't have much volume or sustain. Nobody else who tried it seemed very excited about it either - I don't remember anybody playing it more than a couple of minutes before passing it on to the next person. Maybe they've improved the ukes since then, I don't know, but that early specimen wasn't much more than a gussied up dolphin, IMNTBHO. :)

I guess all the excitement about how great the sound hole smelled should maybe have been a clue that there wasn't much else to get excited about. LOL

John

I have a bubinga concert (low G), which is okay, but not anything remarkable. The funny thing is that last April, I fell in love with one (the appearance, not the sound) in a small shop in Madeira Beach, FL. The shop owner earnestly and successfully talked me out of buying it. Three days later, back home in St. Louis, I called him, credit card in hand, and he talked me out of it again. Three months later, I ordered one online (not from one of our preferred vendors). It sounded absolutely horrible, and I sent it back - the only time I've ever returned a uke, and I've bought quite a few. About two weeks later, I saw one at a uke festival. It wasn't as pretty as the one I saw in Madeira Beach, but it sounded way better than the one I had purchased online, so I bought it. My Eddy Finn craving has now been put to bed. (And I never understood that sound hole smell thing.)

I never been in the same room as one but don't care for the models with the odd-ball sound hole. Wouldn't want one for that reason but love their banjoleles! Top notch.

Be sure not to order one from Amazon because they make it sound like you're buying from Eddy Finn but you're really just getting one that's not set up at all. Also, I thought the one model I got sounded really thin, which a tenor uke really shouldn't. Want to try out some of their other models just to compare.

Last edited:
I saw a few at a local shop. Love the fin and design, but as someone stated above...the action and play was not to the level I need now. I tried a sop, a concert and a tenor, all not living up to my play needs.

I would just caution anyone to not pass final judgement on any uke that went from factory to a customer.
That's true not just with Eddy Finn but any production ukes.

I am now very familiar with Eddy Finn ukes, and I think the quality is excellent. After a setup, I think they
play and sound great.

I saw a few at a local shop. Love the fin and design, but as someone stated above...the action and play was not to the level I need now. I tried a sop, a concert and a tenor, all not living up to my play needs.

Pretty much exactly my experience. I've tried a few and was underwhelmed. In the price range I'd choose a Kala or Ohana instead.

I got a killer deal on an EF-25-S a few years back. It was pretty and I wanted to try a soprano w/o spending a ton (just in case it was not my cup of tea). I now have a small herd of ukes, but still like my EF. It does not compare with my Loprinzi walnut soprano (husband plays the EF now) but does have a sweet voice, nice fit and finish, decent action and intonation, for the price. Certainly production ukes will vary and set-up is important. I have played many ukes that were about the same price but we're plain janes with not nearly as nice sound. I would want to get a good deal on one, though, 'cuz once you start to go much beyond $150, there are better probably better choices.

I was another person underwhelmed at their initial offerings. I was excited about the fact that they were going to be different looking than the majority of the other brands out there, but they should have done more about the quality and quality control first. Having said that there is a new guitarlele model made out of a light wood (maybe basswood?) in our local store that I do like. If I didn't already have a Yamaha guitarlele I'd seriously consider it.

I'm wary of an instrument that has smell as a primary selling point.

You folks are throwing unworthy stones.
The Eddy Finns are a very solid, very affordable design.
Better than most at that price point.

Just to add my thoughts, having recently taken delivery of an Eddy Finn EF60-C (concert) Bubinga......I will post a brief review in the reviews section once I have played it a little more, from my relatively inexperienced perspective.

I was slightly disappointed at the finish of the uke, the soundhole cut is unfinished, could have been a better finish to it, and I could see some slight marks where the neck and body join up on the top of the body. The bubinga top, while a beautifully grained wood, has a slightly rough area which I hope is not a flaw in the wood, on inspection closer it seems absolutely fine. Of course , the rather horrible Made in China sticker to the rear is not the finest detail! Having said that, it is actually a beautiful little uke, the abalone and the shark fin sound hole making it very eye catching.

However, the sound.......I have noted some of the rather negative comments about Eddy Finns on this thread and am surprised. This little uke has an amazing sustain, the Aquilas seem to suit it well, and it plays very easily despite the slightly high action, maintaining intonation well. I love the sound and the looks and can probably live with the blemishes, although Ithink a uke that cost £160 here in the UK could have been finished better - granted, not a high end expensive uke, but a middle of the road one with good looks and amazing sound for the price level.

I also love the Eddy Finn hard case I bought for it, I know the uke and the case designs are a love it or hate it type of design, but I am very pleased overall with both. I really wanted a bubinga uke in concert size and the choices are very limited in the UK - this Eddy Finn was the only one I could find in the country at the moment, although there are one or two tenors in the Bubinga available.

The Eddy Finn agents in the UK are unfortunately removing the scent tag apparently, so they are not delivered with them, but hey, I was just pleased to find the uke somewhere in the country!

I really like my little guy...I mean...I admit...I don't know half the stuff that most people on this site know...but I think it sounds good. I have the all Koa one...and it's very bright and loud sounding without being tinny.

So...um...the hole is supposed to smell? I...um...never noticed...*goes and sniffs her uke*.

(mine must not have come with a sniffy hole, because it smells like glue...and if I keep trying to detect a scent I might have to go to rehab :eek:)

Last edited:
My primary uke is Eddy Finn EF-15-T tenor. I have read comment about Finns being a bad uke. I did a self set-up by sanding down the nut and bridge saddle, strung it with Aquila Reds (low G tuning) and I couldn't be happier

I have an Eddy Finn tenor EF-16T. I thought it stood out among the others in it's price range at the local shop. I saved my pennies and bought one for myself for Christmas. I love the size and it is sparkly (lacewood model) and it sounds ok. It seemed to me to have a dull thud sound rather than the beautiful ring I hear from other ukes. Aqilla reds certainly help. This is a nice $150 uke but it left me wanting. It isn't solid wood so I leave it on a stand next to my computer and it gets played often. It sounds pretty good on island songs. It didn't take long before I started my new uke fund. The Pono AT was more than double the price but worth 10 times as much in playability and sound.
The Eddy Finn has gotten and will get a lot of use but if I had to do it all over again and were going to buy one uke...you get what you pay for and I would be willing to pay a little more.
Dan

Top Bottom