C major and it's first inversion.

takesuoutswitch

Reaction score
Are 0003 and 5433 the same chord or is the latter the first inversion since E is the lowest note rather than C?

With standard tuning, the former is called a root position C chord since the tonic (C) is in the bass. The latter is indeed a first inversion C chord. In music theory, a chord with the third in the bass (in this case, the E) is called a first inversion chord, and is notated with a superscript 6. More formally, it is called a 6/3 chord since the chord is constructed with intervals of a third (G) and a sixth (C) above the bass(E) . The 3 is implied, so people just call first inversion a 6. Second inversion has the fifth in the bass, and is called a 6/4 chord (since it is constructed with intervals of a fourth (C) and a sixth (E) above the bass (G). An example of a way to finger a second inversion C chord would be 9787 (or 5787 to double the tonic).

Don't quite understand " E is the lowest note".
0003 is GCEC, 5433 is CEGC. 5433 is just a higher position for a C. Uses the same chord form as the B, just one fret higher.

0003 is GCEC, 5433 is CEGC. 5433 is just a higher position for a C. Uses the same chord form as the B, just one fret higher.
He means that the E in the 5433 (CEGC) is the lowest note (root?) in the chord. This makes it the first inversion. I've never seen a C superscript 6. Good thing, because I might mistake it for a C6, which is different.

With reentrant tuning C is the lowest note in the first form, E is the lowest note in the second form. I can never remember first inversions vs. second etc. (especially since inverting the third and fifth with the root in the base is also an inversion) so I just think of the second as C/E - and that's how you'll usually see it notated in guitar-friendly music books.

Now, if the uke was tuned low G then the first form would be the inversion (G as lowest note or C/G) and the second form would be normal (C in the bass note).

John

Top Bottom