Leash/Strap for Bnajolele?

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
Sorry ref subject line. "Banjolele"
Anyone installed a Uke Leash or strap on Gold Tone Banjolele? Body (with brass tone ring) so heavy I need to support it, as well as the Head, for stand-up playing. I haven't figured-out a safe, non-damaging way to connect it. Ideas?
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
I don't know the brand, or name of it, but I've seen people using a strap that goes around the neck, and seems to clip on to one of the tensioners (or whatever they're really called).

Lori (on this forum) makes the uke Leash, which is great (I reviewed it here - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/11/uke-leash-review.html )

In standard format though, it only supports the neck, so wont help with your head. She does however do a strap button attachment to turn it into a regular strap, so it is adaptable. Suggest you get in contact with her and see if she can fashion a clip for attaching to the tensioners.

Actually, because of this thread, I went and looked at banjo straps, and it seems there's another option, that appears safer for the instrument, called a cradle strap. On it, the strap is actually strung through the tensioners, and fastened to itself at the bottom.

Diagram here: http://www.banjoteacher.com/Gear/Straps/indexCradleBanjoStrapInstallation.htm

Now I really want one or two of these. Hey Loorrrrrrii....

I can't remember who it was, but someone did a video (or just photo) here somewhere showing how to use one of Lori's UkeLeashes with a banjo uke. You attach the headstock loop to one of the tensioners close to the neck instead of around the headstock. It seemed like it would work like a charm. Hopefully soon I'll get to try it when the Mainland soprano banjo ukes come out!

I am currently developing a Uke Leash for using on Banjo Ukes. For the Mainland Banjo Uke I have, it is easy to adapt the Uke Leash design for Banjo Uke. I am going to offer an altered design specifically for Banjo Ukes. On the Mainland, I can use the Headstock straps to make additional connections to the brackets. The Gold Tone banjo uke I saw doesn't have as much space under the brackets, so a shoelace tie connection is being considered for that situation. I might have to go to the music store and check it again. If you have any special requests for the connection of the banjo strap, let me know and I will be happy to make one to your specifications. For my Mainland Banjo Uke I ended up connecting one end at the head stock, and the other end to the bracket near the tailpiece. The weight of the neck made it a little unbalanced when I connected it cradle style to the body.

Suggestions are welcome.
–Lori

Lori,

I experimented a little with this, on the two banjo ukes I have at hand...for the Waverly, the leash would fit fine under the tensioners (for cradle-style), except that the female plastic bracket won't fit underneath. It would work fine if both ends of the leash had the headstock-style connecters (but I'd worry about the plastic connector coming loose under the body), or some other method of threading just the leash through the tensioner.

On my Anuenue, the tensioners don't have enough room under them, like the Gold Tone you mentioned.

To work for both, I think you'd need, as you mentioned, a shoelace-style end on the leash, long enough to thread under the tensioners half-way around the pot.

Last edited:
Lori,

I experimented a little with this, on the two banjo ukes I have at hand...for the Waverly, the leash would fit fine under the tensioners (for cradle-style), except that the female plastic bracket won't fit underneath. It would work fine if both ends of the leash had the headstock-style connecters (but I'd worry about the plastic connector coming loose under the body), or some other method of threading just the leash through the tensioner.

On my Anuenue, the tensioners don't have enough room under them, like the Gold Tone you mentioned.

To work for both, I think you'd need, as you mentioned, a shoelace-style end on the leash, long enough to thread under the tensioners half-way around the pot.

Thanks for the input. The Banjo Version of the Uke Leash will have male connectors on both ends of the main strap, with the ability to use either 2 headstock strap attachments, or a new accessory that would accommodate the use of a shoelace type cord. The Head Stock type arrangement should be fine in that application, at least it is very similar to the way cameras are attached to straps, and they get pretty heavy. If the strap material is too slick, then it might slip under heavy stress, so perhaps leather would be a better material for that part.

In the end, if you have to tie a knot, the strap configuration is only as good as your knot. But, that is the case with many straps. I will try and test out the different configurations to see if I can make it fail.
–Lori

Hello,

The shoe lace idea will probably work with the GT Banjolele. Y'all are correct about the too small spacing under the tensioners for the standard webbing. As heavy as the GT Banjolele & GT Banjolele Deluxe bodies are (w/ internal brass sound ring) a cradle type wrap would balance them well. The GT "Banjo Ukes" and others (without the heavy sound ring) would probably need the head support as metioned above. Lori, I am looking forward to seeing your solution and will probably order when available.

Top Bottom