PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele World Congress- Not for Sale

hoosierhiver
01-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Hi folks,
I've been approached several times lately by some "johnny come lately's" wanting to cash in on the current ukulele craze so I'd like to state clearly that the Ukulele World Congress is a party for our friends in the ukulele community, it is not a commercial event. Do not come with the intention of making money or promoting your product. Small homegrown luthiers like Boat Paddle and Dave G are always welcome and folks are welcome to bring any vintage or CBU's they want to swap or show off. The UWC will remain a free event for ukulele lovers by uke lovers.

WhenDogsSing
01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Good for you Mike...!!!

Chris Tarman
01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
Right on! I hope to make it there someday, but even if I don't, it's good to know that there ARE events like this.

Uke Republic
01-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah! 4 the people!
Not only are Mainland ukuleles great so are the owners! It's a great thing you do at UWC and i'm planning to be there this Summah!!!

dnewton2
01-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Even for Eleventy Billion Dollars???:)

Very cool of you, I guess I should make an attempt to make it to UWC sometime.

SweetWaterBlue
01-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Yeah! 4 the people!
Not only are Mainland ukuleles great so are the owners! It's a great thing you do at UWC and i'm planning to be there this Summah!!!

I agree. And we all love you too Sailor Jim for the things you do for the uke world, and especially us here in uke-challenged Hotlanta.

dkcrown
01-24-2011, 05:57 AM
That's great Mike. I hope to get to the UWC at some point in the future. Unfortunately for me, it falls in the middle of baseball season, as I coach two teams and am Vice President of our local chapter of Babe Ruth baseball. Oh well, someday....

I did love all of the videos and photos from last years UWC. Hopefully there will be many more this year for all of us folks that can't attend.

Mauimaster
01-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Good for you Mike...!!!

I agree 100%!!!

bbycrts
01-24-2011, 06:10 AM
It is the greatest party EVER and Mike and Tookta are the world's greatest party hosts! Thanks for putting it on Mike - and for keeping it pure!

cashew
01-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Man, I am EVEN MORE excited about attending my first UWC this year :)

Mim
01-24-2011, 06:48 AM
I am so excited to attend a uke function that I don't have to work to be there!!! I have yet to attend one like that! EVER! I am bringing me, myself, and 2 or 3 of my personal ukes, and that is IT!!! Woo-hoo! How nice will that be?! Sooooo excited about it! Like giddy excited! It is gonna be sooooo awesome!

ukeshale
01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks, Mike. I hope it stays that way for good. Looking forward to it.

rem50
01-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Way to go! Keep it simple and fun!

Ukeffect
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Good on you Mike! I have come to see this as the Ukulele Woodstock...(erm, less drugs though!) I have cash saved for the trip this year...I WILL make it...(even if I have to sell some ukes to get there)!
:cool:

mm stan
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Aloha Mike,
Way to go bruddah, you tell 'um like it is....plain and simple to the point!!! Money does not buy everything...UWC was created to have fun...MM Stan

Howlin Hobbit
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
the UWC is the only event of this nature that I really wish I could make. if I ever arrive at the position where I can afford the transportation, etc. I'll be there with bells on.

(and pants too, since they probably won't let me on the bus without them.) ;-)

Paul December
01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
What about the rumor of free Mainland Banjoleles for all who attend?

hoosierhiver
01-24-2011, 08:45 AM
What about the rumor of free Mainland Banjoleles for all who attend?

I'll keep playing the lottery, we'll see what happens...

gnomethang
01-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Aww - I searched the site but couldn't find out when/where this is. Is it on a sticky?
In any case - keep it real!

Nickie
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
This sounds great! I wish I could come. I think there should be a major ukulele event in every part of the world, so everybody could make at least one a year. We had ours in December, I think it was, I only got to visit for a short time.

hoosierhiver
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Aww - I searched the site but couldn't find out when/where this is. Is it on a sticky?
In any case - keep it real!

Here's the Youtube page,check the profile section for info. It's the first weekend in June, Brown county Indiana

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleWorldCongress

ukeeku
01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Awesome. It seems like people are always looking to make money and add themselves to cool stuff and seem to kill it really quick. Look a lalapoluza or woodstock 2.

Pippin
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
My wife and I hope to be there and take lots of pictures. We want to cover the event in Ukulele Player.

CoLmes
01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Mike, so when are you running for president again?

Dominator
01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Good on you Mike! I have come to see this as the Ukulele Woodstock...

That's how I explain it to people.

Glad you plan to keep things the way they should be Mike. UWC is very special just the way it is.

gnomethang
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Many thanks - It might be a bit far from the uK but then again I don't have a summer holiday planned!

seeso
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Hell yeah, Mike! Power to the people!

OldePhart
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
This makes me even more sure I'm going to move mountains to be there! I've promised myself at least one uke-specific "road trip" this year and, if my bosses don't pull the cheap rug out from under me, this will be it.

John

elisdad
01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Mike, I sure like how you roll.

Indianarick
01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Kismet! I start playing ukes, find out there is a UWC just about an hour away. I have been bugging Mike to visit Mainland soon too. I only have three ukes so far...well, i gave one to my brother in law for xmas...so down to three. But i need a Mainland!

pat rock
01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Rad. The Dunkin Donuts Ukulele World Congress just doesn't sound right!

Chris Tarman
01-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Rad. The Dunkin Donuts Ukulele World Congress just doesn't sound right!

I kind of like the sound of "Verizon Ukulele World Congress" though.

ADD
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll be there hopefully making my first ukulele in Pete Howlett's Uke Build. It'll happen if we have enough people to sign up for his First U.S. Uke Build. Thanks, Mike, for making this a possibility. There will be time to play in the evening so I'm told. Sure hope so. Will be bringing a uke or two. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Chopper
01-25-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm planning on being there. Free is the way to be!

Monkeyswithladders
01-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I've been looking forward to this party since last June :D The anticipation grows with each day too!

eddyfinnguy
01-25-2011, 05:38 AM
I'll keep playing the lottery, we'll see what happens...

Any good number tips???

eddyfinnguy
01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
I kind of like the sound of "Verizon Ukulele World Congress" though.

If you like that, you'll love "Lucas Oil Ukulele World Congress" LOUWC :)

pulelehua
01-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Nice to read this right after the schmuck on ebay with his $17k Jake ukulele.

Faith restored. Thanks, Mike.

Hankthetank
01-26-2011, 04:40 AM
How about you let me have a piece of UWC for $1. Cmon man! Hook a brother up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dane
01-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Good for you Mike!

mailman
01-26-2011, 10:43 AM
If folks are interested in ukulele festivals (and who isn't, right?) they have those all over the world. Vendors, workshops, celebrities....the whole works. Pick one near you and have a ball!

But there is only ONE UWC. Don't let anybody try to turn it into something it isn't, Mike....

salukulady
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
All my support and enthusiasm for keeping this real. You and Tootka are the best. My children will eat beans and dirt before Mom misses this trip.

OldePhart
01-27-2011, 01:13 PM
All my support and enthusiasm for keeping this real. You and Tootka are the best. My children will eat beans and dirt before Mom misses this trip.

Beans! You let your kids have beans with their dirt! Wow - you must be some kind of supermom! LOL

John (with tongue firmly in cheek, lest there be any doubt)

cb56
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
But will I be able to check out some Mainland ukes at UWC? I hope so!

sebi
01-28-2011, 01:20 AM
You're the man, Mike! I agree 100%.

hoosierhiver
01-28-2011, 03:22 AM
But will I be able to check out some Mainland ukes at UWC? I hope so!

Alot of people come by the Mainland shop in Nashville during the afternoons.

salukulady
01-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Beans! You let your kids have beans with their dirt! Wow - you must be some kind of supermom! LOL

John (with tongue firmly in cheek, lest there be any doubt)Well, on Saturday night they do.

OldePhart
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Alot of people come by the Mainland shop in Nashville during the afternoons.
Any chance there might be mango super sopranos or cedar cutaway baris hanging about the shop by then? ;) ;) :Onkneesbegging:

John

OldePhart
01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
You know, I've given this some thought, and I think I have a better understanding why people have approached you trying to buy a piece of the action. With "congress" in the name it's fairly reasonable to expect it to be for sale... LOL

John

Dane
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
You know, I've given this some thought, and I think I have a better understanding why people have approached you trying to buy a piece of the action. With "congress" in the name it's fairly reasonable to expect it to be for sale... LOL

John

aha! A knee-slapper indeed my friend.

ADD
01-28-2011, 05:17 PM

John

OldePhart, you're so smart...and funny!!!

OldePhart
01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
OldePhart, you're so smart...and funny!!!
:o Well, the latter, maybe. If I was smart though my retirement plan probably wouldn't consist of "investments" in guitars, amps, ukuleles, native American flutes...

Just sayin'

John

OldePhart
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
BTW, on a more serious note - who should I talk to about finding lodging up there during the UWC? Camping in a tent or the car isn't nearly as fun at fifty-something as it was in my twenties, so if somebody can recommend a decent motel (doesn't have to be fancy, just clean with good beds and hot showers) convenient to the UWC I'd appreciate it. Actually, a hotel with wifi would also be handy - depending on what's going on at work I may need to at least check e-mails once a day.

John

kilaana
01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike, you're the best! Don't change a thing... UWC is absolutely perfect just how it is. Well, except that maybe it should last a week. Or two.

ADD
01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
BTW, on a more serious note - who should I talk to about finding lodging up there during the UWC? Camping in a tent or the car isn't nearly as fun at fifty-something as it was in my twenties, so if somebody can recommend a decent motel (doesn't have to be fancy, just clean with good beds and hot showers) convenient to the UWC I'd appreciate it. Actually, a hotel with wifi would also be handy - depending on what's going on at work I may need to at least check e-mails once a day.

John

Hope Mike will post that info as I need the same info. Thanks for asking the question.

mailman
02-03-2011, 03:43 AM

John

John, I'm well past my tent camping days, too. I attended UWC last year, and I stayed at the Brown County Inn. Nothing fancy, but clean and perfectly acceptable. Probably a ten minute drive (or less) from the field. WiFi, too, if I remember right....

hoosierhiver
02-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Here's a link to Brown county lodging, http://www.browncountylodging.com/

This cabin is nearby, if anyone wants to coordinate the rental, I'm sure there would be alot of people interested.
http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/ridge.html

OldePhart
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I probably ought to make reservations pretty soon. Just haven't decided whether to drive or fly, yet.

John

mangorockfish
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
This cabin is nearby, if anyone wants to coordinate the rental, I'm sure there would be alot of people interested.
http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/ridge.html[/QUOTE]
I think that this would fall under "what happens at UWC stays ay UWC".