PDA

View Full Version : Low G is not tuned correctly with tun-d

HojoKing
01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey all:

I got my first uke this weekend with a Low G setup. I used an iphone app called tun-d to tune it. For some reason, I can't get it to tune the G string. It tuned the C E A strings w/o a problem. Is this normal? Is it because the Low G setup that caused the app to not recognize it? I'm looking to purchase this snark from amazon real soon. Any input will hep this newbie. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Clip--Chromatic-Instrument-Tuner/dp/B003VWKPHC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295895452&sr=8-3

sailboats
01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
It has been my experience with some tuners they do not always pick up some low strings. Do not know about that particular app though. What I have done to remedy the situation is just going from the 5th fret. barring it at the 5th and tuning it as a C.

SweetWaterBlue
01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Get yourself a clip on chromatic tuner if you can. I find they work a lot better, especially in noisy situations.

SailingUke
01-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Get yourself a clip on chromatic tuner if you can. I find they work a lot better, especially in noisy situations.

I agree,use your phone for making calls to invite folks to come play ukulele !!

mm stan
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I personally like the small size and the digital octaves and notes of my Cherub.... google Cherub WST 550C Happy Strummings...

HojoKing
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks all. I will order the snark chromatic tuner right now. Will attempt the 5th fret tuning tonight. Thx.

I Ukulista
01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Use comparative tuning.
You have the C string tuned.
Tune the G string by pressing the string at the 5th fret (which is C) when they start to sound very very close to being the same, your Low G will be tuned.

Lori
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Sometimes a low string doesn't register for some reason. I usually try the harmonic on the 12th fret, and then it seems to snap out of it, and then I can tune normally. A chromatic tuner that feels the vibrations, instead of using a microphone is the best way to go.
–Lori

Dane
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
dont get any problems with clip ons

Ingrate
01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
The Snark should work without any problem. You can save a couple of bucks if you buy the blue Snark SN-1. It works fine with 'ukuleles, but lacks the microphone of the SN-2. (It only works as a clip-on tuner - via instrument vibration) You can find them on eBay for ~$12 each, delivered.

shrink9
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
I know that I may be in the minority on this thread but I am quite fond of the Cleartune app for the iPhone. I no longer carry ANY tuner--just rely on the Cleartune. It is very easy to use and has amazing accuracy. FWIW.

I Ukulista
01-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Just don't forget comparative tuning......The old fashion way for all those times you are without technology. Hard to imagine really.

Dane
01-25-2011, 08:17 AM
I always check my tuning by playing all 4 strings on C notes simultaneously. Pretty easy to tell when one is out of tune.

If you're wondering what that is it's

A---3---
E---8---
C---0---
G---5---

SweetWaterBlue
01-25-2011, 09:28 AM
There is another phone option, that I DO use when I am without a tuner. On my phone (a crappy old Sony Ericsson TM506) I have a chord app. It also has a tuner, but instead of listening to your uke it just plays the strings as they should sound. I find that it works quite well to give me the G string, and I do it with comparative tuning from there.