PDA

View Full Version : Worth or Aquila for my Ohana PK25G?

sailor
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello all.
Quick question...I picked up the ohana pk25G (mahogany pineapple) a few weeks back because I love the look of it and liked the idea of a soprano with more richness in the mid range and I'd say that it delivers.

It came with the aquila nyguts on it and I'd love to get a little more crispness in the highs to compliment the lovely mid range. Here's where I'm a bit confused. I've always heard that the aquilas are a brighter string than the Worth clears, but on Ken Middletons youtube video comparing ohanas, he mentions in the comments section that he likes this uke with the worth cm's.

Would putting the worths on not create even less brightness, or do I have this all wrong?

Thanks!

kenikas
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Try it and see. Each uke/string combination will sound a bit different and you are the only one who can judge what sounds best to you. Strings are the cheapest way to change the sound of a uke, I say just go for it.

mm stan
01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
What are you looking for more richness or brightness....if had to choose one?????

sailor
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
there's lots of richness now, but i'd like to add a bit more brightness....hopefully while retaining the richness i have now. although, i would sacrifice a bit of the mid range for more a bit more brightness.

sailor
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
come on..where are all the techy string nerds? ;)
i know i should (and probably will) just pick some up and see for myself, but in my online research, it seems people are doing a lot of contradicting when it comes to strings.
i'm confused!

J_Tay81
01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I've got this same model with Aquilas on it. Been more than pleased with the mellow sound.

EDW
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
There are lots of choices in the Worth family. There are clear and brown, and various hardnesses. To my ear the Worths are crisper with a little bit better clarity and balanced overtones. The only way to really know is to try and see what you like when they settle in.

Each instrument is different and each person has different tastes. It can also vary depending on on your style of playing and what kinds of situations you are playing in.

sailor
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
don't get me wrong. i really like the mellow qualities of this uke. it has beautiful tone. it lives beside my couch and is the go to for late night pluking. sounds especially beautiful played softly.
i'm just looking for even a hint more high end...mostly for when i'm playing it louder. just a very small tweek without ruining it's best quality.
i suppose i'm just looking for the perfect sound (to my ear).

either way, i'm very happy with it and the mellowness is why i bought it.

sailor
01-24-2011, 03:31 PM
There are lots of choices in the Worth family. There are clear and brown, and various hardnesses. To my ear the Worths are crisper with a little bit better clarity and balanced overtones. The only way to really know is to try and see what you like when they settle in.

Each instrument is different and each person has different tastes. It can also vary depending on on your style of playing and what kinds of situations you are playing in.

i'll mess around with the worths. can't hurt.

i'm looking at the clears.....they have light, medium etc. do the different 'weights' produce differnt tones?
would the lights be a little brighter than say the mediums?

EDW
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I tend to prefer the mediums. The light seem to have a somewhat thinner sound to me.

Maybe start with CM and see how that works for you.

sailor
01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
i think i'll do that. worth cm's on the way. if i don't like 'em on the ohana, i'll put them on my son's maholo...which could use a bit of mellowing.
thanks.

pat rock
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Interesting question - to put in my two cents, don't forget that Aquilas take a little more time to settle in to their true tone. I have a set on my Kamoa and have found that the tone changes after you play it for a while. Good Luck!