Should I continue learning the guitar?

Skadar

Reaction score
I've been kicking around with the guitar for 20 years, but only recently (Fall 2010) started to get serious about learning. I started working through Garage Band lessons and using a couple of incredible websites for online lessons.

And then I got a ukulele as a gift. Holy moly. I've had it for a month now and I haven't touched my guitars since. I know this is a common side effect of picking up a ukulele, but what are the chances I'll ever go back to guitar? Should I even try?

I'm 40 now and the chances of me ever rocking out with an amplified guitar in front of a willing audience is slim. I can, however, see myself playing the uke with family and friends and ukulele clubs (already joined one).

Do any of you continue with uke and guitar simultaneously?

I've actually taken up the guitar...Hawaiian slack key (kī hōʻalu)!

~Michael

I play both, but the uke is what got me excited about playing again

I played professionally until 5 years ago and just picked up uke recently.

I also play banjo and mandolin, used to play fiddle but would likely poke my eye out with the bow.

I think the uke is more fun than the mando, and a better solo accomp instrument.

My 2 pennies, keep that guitar arround the uke will only sharpen your skills,,,,, unless we are talking solid body electric and then trade it in for an acoustic so you can be useful to uke players :)

I haven't played my guitar in years... been too attached to my uke. Besides, I just feel more comfortable with the uke! ;)

No.

You should play the uke.

There, I've settled it!

Seriously, I played guitar for 40 years. I have a classic Martin acoustic from 1966 sitting in a case. If I sold it I could probably buy $3000 worth of ukes.

I don't feel guilty.

Play the uke.

You are asking on an ukulele thread if you should keep learning guitar? Silly. :-)

Nothing wrong with being multi instrumental people ;) I play piano, uke, and a little guitar (although the others have dropped off some since I got my ukulele, but it'll even out eventually... maybe :p) I think you should stick with it. You might regret not sticking it out in the future.

No.

You should play the uke.

There, I've settled it!

Seriously, I played guitar for 40 years. I have a classic Martin acoustic from 1966 sitting in a case. If I sold it I could probably buy $3000 worth of ukes.

I don't feel guilty.

Play the uke.
Whoa!

I've been kicking around with the guitar for 20 years, but only recently (Fall 2010) started to get serious about learning. I started working through Garage Band lessons and using a couple of incredible websites for online lessons.

And then I got a ukulele as a gift. Holy moly. I've had it for a month now and I haven't touched my guitars since. I know this is a common side effect of picking up a ukulele, but what are the chances I'll ever go back to guitar? Should I even try?

I'm 40 now and the chances of me ever rocking out with an amplified guitar in front of a willing audience is slim. I can, however, see myself playing the uke with family and friends and ukulele clubs (already joined one).

Do any of you continue with uke and guitar simultaneously?
no, but that's gonna change real soon.

I haven't touched my guitar in a while either.
omigosh yes. well over a year here, i used to play my guitar a minimum of two hours a day, usually more. must.put.myself.on.ukulele.diet. doh!

Consult the Magic 8 Ball.
or the brass monkey. :biglaugh:

I re-started the ukulele almost 2 years ago and had hardly touched my guitar since. I recently picked up a Kala Utar to brush up on some Hawaiian slack key. The ki ho'alu does not work easily on a uke.

I find it to be good mental gymnastics to switch instruments occasionally.

Last edited:
If you can play, whatever it is, play it. However, I sold my guitar...

I maybe the dissenter here. I've played Uke about a year, guitar for about 5.
I love the more complex sounds of the guitar. A Uke does not growl like my D35.
But.... Ukes are way easier to take to the Park or on vacation.
The chord finger patterns really overlap and I practicing one seems to help the other.
I don't ever see giving up either.

Stan

Even if you give up on guitar, it will come back to you when you need it. It's okay to concentrate on one instrument, but it's really great fun to be able to play more than one. That's how I got into it. I self-identify as a bass player, but I do know how to play guitar to a limited degree. I picked up the uke, which I'd only done briefly at the university, so I could use it at church with the children's music. While acoustic guitars are portable, ukes are infinitely more so, and I just love mine.

So the short of the long is this: If ukulele makes you happy, do it, but don't feel that you have to let guitar go forever.

Keep up with it. Uke and guitar coincide. I played guitar for 3 years and then bought a uke and its very similar.

I play guitar, bass, and uke.

Just dedicate a little bit of time to each. Its good stuff

I'm with nephidoc and mmorris1333. I think that uke and guitar complement each other. Keep up with them both.

Top Bottom