Does Fluke come from factory with 'grip strips' on back?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
I just bought a Fluke from a fellow UU member, and to my knowledge, he's was the only owner. It's a standard natural finish Fluke, but on the back it has these two anti-slip strips. The UU'er said they came with it. I think it's a great thing, don't get me wrong. Just wondered if they came standard with Flukes?

They work great, where ever they came from. There's virtually no slipping against my clothing.

Those became standard issue recently...like a couple months back, I believe. You can also buy the strips separately now.

Those became standard issue recently...like a couple months back, I believe. You can also buy the strips separately now.

I was wondering about that. I had never seen or heard of them before. I know that Ovation was beginning to sell some of their guitars with a little non-slip pad since the rounded back made them move while playing. I did not know that the Flukes had such an issue. Thanks!

Love the strips - makes a huge difference - though I think they aren't selling separately right now...

Definitely what Chap said. I bought my tenor flea directly from Flea Market Music five or six months ago, and it came with strips.

Yes, I got a concert neck Flea directly from the factory for the 2011 Ukulele Calendar last November, and it came with the non skid strips.

–Lori

That is the only bad part about the fluke and flea is the slipping. Wonder what they used or where we can get some?

Dumb question: on the Flea, do you put the strips on horizontally (in direction of neck) or vertically (across the body)?

They might 'roll up' under friction in the horizontal, but seem a bit long to go vertical.

This stuff is so hard ... could need luthier input ...

I guess that could work? I used some really thin foam that worked well but it didn't stay put very well.Thanks for the tip.

I guess that could work? I used some really thin foam that worked well but it didn't stay put very well.Thanks for the tip.

Skateboard grip tape will work, I am almost sure of it. I'm going down to my local skate rat shop after work tonight to try it out.

Dumb question: on the Flea, do you put the strips on horizontally (in direction of neck) or vertically (across the body)?

They might 'roll up' under friction in the horizontal, but seem a bit long to go vertical.

Should work horizontally, I'd think. That's how I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work, I'll strip it off and try it the other way.

Can someone post a picture of their uke with these strips? I'd like to add something to my flea.

Just guessing here, but some stuff that ought to work really well is the non-slip shelf lining. You'd have to figure some way to make it stick to the uke (spray trim adhesive, maybe?) but then it should grip clothing really well without feeling sandpapery or snagging sweaters and such.

John

I recently have been in touch with Flea Market Music and they no longer carry the Grip Strips (they sent me the last 2 they had). The adhesive on the strips was not sticking to the back of the strips and eventually they curl up and have to be taken off. I use WD-40 to remove the adhesive from the back. I went thru about 6 sets of strips. They are working on producing a newer improved Grip Strip, but as of this moment it is not ready.

The tape looks to be thin neoprene, about 6 inches long and a little over 3/4 inch wide.

–Lori

Attachments

• flea_tape.jpg
    flea_tape.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom