PDA

View Full Version : Does Fluke come from factory with 'grip strips' on back?

J_Tay81
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I just bought a Fluke from a fellow UU member, and to my knowledge, he's was the only owner. It's a standard natural finish Fluke, but on the back it has these two anti-slip strips. The UU'er said they came with it. I think it's a great thing, don't get me wrong. Just wondered if they came standard with Flukes?

ukeeku
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I have played a lot of them and none have ever had that. maybe it was a dealer thing.

J_Tay81
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
They work great, where ever they came from. There's virtually no slipping against my clothing.

Chap
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Those became standard issue recently...like a couple months back, I believe. You can also buy the strips separately now.

JT_Ukes
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Those became standard issue recently...like a couple months back, I believe. You can also buy the strips separately now.

what he said.

J_Tay81
01-24-2011, 12:21 PM

I was wondering about that. I had never seen or heard of them before. I know that Ovation was beginning to sell some of their guitars with a little non-slip pad since the rounded back made them move while playing. I did not know that the Flukes had such an issue. Thanks!

harpdog
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Love the strips - makes a huge difference - though I think they aren't selling separately right now...

mds725
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Definitely what Chap said. I bought my tenor flea directly from Flea Market Music five or six months ago, and it came with strips.

Ukulele Jim
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
So where can I get some of these strips?

EDIT: I suppose I could go to my local skateboard shop and get some grip tape...

Lori
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes, I got a concert neck Flea directly from the factory for the 2011 Ukulele Calendar last November, and it came with the non skid strips.

–Lori

Mouthy1
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
That is the only bad part about the fluke and flea is the slipping. Wonder what they used or where we can get some?

Ukulele Jim
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
That is the only bad part about the fluke and flea is the slipping. Wonder what they used or where we can get some?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Grip-Tape-Sheet/dp/B002LUSITW

aido
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Dumb question: on the Flea, do you put the strips on horizontally (in direction of neck) or vertically (across the body)?

They might 'roll up' under friction in the horizontal, but seem a bit long to go vertical.

This stuff is so hard ... could need luthier input ...

Mouthy1
01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I guess that could work? I used some really thin foam that worked well but it didn't stay put very well.Thanks for the tip.

Ukulele Jim
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I guess that could work? I used some really thin foam that worked well but it didn't stay put very well.Thanks for the tip.

Skateboard grip tape will work, I am almost sure of it. I'm going down to my local skate rat shop after work tonight to try it out.

Dumb question: on the Flea, do you put the strips on horizontally (in direction of neck) or vertically (across the body)?

They might 'roll up' under friction in the horizontal, but seem a bit long to go vertical.

Should work horizontally, I'd think. That's how I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work, I'll strip it off and try it the other way.

RyanMFT
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Can someone post a picture of their uke with these strips? I'd like to add something to my flea.

OldePhart
01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Just guessing here, but some stuff that ought to work really well is the non-slip shelf lining. You'd have to figure some way to make it stick to the uke (spray trim adhesive, maybe?) but then it should grip clothing really well without feeling sandpapery or snagging sweaters and such.

John

brUKEman
01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I recently have been in touch with Flea Market Music and they no longer carry the Grip Strips (they sent me the last 2 they had). The adhesive on the strips was not sticking to the back of the strips and eventually they curl up and have to be taken off. I use WD-40 to remove the adhesive from the back. I went thru about 6 sets of strips. They are working on producing a newer improved Grip Strip, but as of this moment it is not ready.

Lori
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
The tape looks to be thin neoprene, about 6 inches long and a little over 3/4 inch wide.

–Lori

RyanMFT
01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Lori! UU'ers are the best!

Chris Tarman
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
The tape looks to be thin neoprene, about 6 inches long and a little over 3/4 inch wide.

–Lori

Those appear to be very similar to the pads that come with bike helmets. Most bicycle helmets come with extra pads of varying thickness so you can adjust the fit. I used to have several of them laying around, and may still have them somewhere, but I probably threw them away. I actually haven't had much trouble with slippage from my Flea, but I can see where it would be a bigger issue with a Fluke, because of the more curved back.

h00k00
01-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm using a piece of black anti-slip tape on my Fluke. The tape is originally for stairs and seems to stick quite well to the plastic back.

J_Tay81
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I emailed The Magic Fluke Co. about maybe getting some strips for my Flea as well. Here is the reply from this morning:

Morning John,

At this time we don't have the grip strips available. We will be offering them again, we are looking at some adhesive options.

I would just recommend to keep checking the website. It might be a couple months. Thanks again for your email!

Best Regards,

Beth

Lori
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I think you could cut up a neoprene mouse pad, and use something to stick it onto the uke. Not sure what would work best, and not be permanent... maybe start with double sided poster tape and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, at least you can remove it cleanly. I think the bike helmet pads are a good idea too. If they can stick to styrofoam, then maybe they would stick to a Flea/ Fluke.

–Lori

philpot
01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
If you want grippy, I think skateboard grip tape would work the best. Its almost like sandpaper, and most kinds come with adhesive on the back so you dont have to worry about figuring out a way to attach it. Try it! I don't have a problem with hangin on to mine, so I wont be trying it but grip tape is cheap. Try it!

grandpoobah
03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but has anyone found a neoprene solution? I still don't see strips on their site. My flea works well, but darn if the fluke doesn't just flip over when i play it.

I'm not really into the grip tape solution as I often play with my shirt off cause I'm really macho, but I also have delicate skin.

stmace
03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
I use pieces cut from a roll of grip you place under a rug. For adhesive, I use the (As Seen on TV) heavy duty removable gummy tabs made for securung corners of of rugs.

OldePhart
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
...cause I'm really macho, but I also have delicate skin.
:boggle: :)

I use the non-skid shelf liner that you can buy in rolls at Wal-Mart or what have you. (Soft rubbery stuff with holes in it.) I attach it using a liberal dose of 3m trim spray adhesive (basically aerosol rubber cement) applied wet instead of waiting for it to dry to tackiness. This works pretty well though the material does tend to creep some with time and I have to slide it back into place.

Note that this is on traditional shaped ukes, don't know if the trim adhesive will stick to the back of a fluke or not.

John