Proper bridge position on a bariton Ukulele

leftywedge

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and would thank anyone who helps me out.
I have an Hilo, model 2655 bariton Ukulele (I know, not the best but I like it!).
I can't get the B in tune. My bridge distance is longer on the first string (E) in compare to the 4th string (D). If I go with the logic of a regular guitar, the bridge should be slanted inwards. Is this true for a Ukulele? Or it should be parallel with the frets?

Second question: when removing the bridge on this Ukulele model, any suggestions? Any special procedures I should know?

Thanks!

Leftywedge.

Aloha Lefty wedge..
Welcome to the UU and the forms and the ukulele...Have fun and enjoy....the bridge should be parrallel to the frets so don't take off the bridge yet....Try and changing your strings first with some new ones...
and get a digital chromatic clip on tuner....has the bridge been off before??? I've got two hilo sopranos...too......Good Luck, Happy Strummings....MM Stan

Last edited:
Ditto...I'd try a new set of strings before anything. Usually the factory made instruments get the bridge in the right spot. If its a new uke, maybe even return it or ask Hilo what's up.
The reverse slant bridge sounds odd, but I don't know baritones well. Maybe its a left-handed model??

Thanks MM Stan and KSQUINE for your input.

As you mentioned Ksquine, it could be a lefthanded Ukulele. For a fact I know the bridge is about 3/8" off from parallel on the first string.
The strings are about 2 years old.

I'll try changing the strings first.

Thank you both for your input.

Have a great day!

LW

If the first string is longer than the 4th string, you must have a lefty ukulele. Changing strings will not help but 2 year old strings are due to be changed anyway.

You probably have a unique instrument and shouldn't change it. Why not string it up as a lefty and learn to play it left handed -- your right hand probably has more strength and dexterity if you are right handed. If you are a lefty as your name might imply you may have an instrument that is custom fitted for you. If you can't just learn to play it that way learn to play it right handed with the first string on top and played by the thumb and the bass strings on the bottom. Elizabeth Cotten, one of the best guitar players, played a standard guitar left handed -- check out the old YouTube videos of her playing.

Konala

Look for some instrument information inside the sound hole. Hilo should be able to tell you if you have a lefty that has been restrung right handed.

Top Bottom