Super Soprano options?

At Ohana we do an all-solid soprano body with a tenor neck. It is called the SK-30L. It's been very popular recently. We had one on the stand at NAMM and it went straight away after the show.

It lists at $209, but you get it for much less than this online.

Anuenue has a couple options, the Lani 1 (Koa $260) and Papa 1 (Mahogany $150) longnecks.

Kiwaya has the KSL-1 and KSL-2 (I think these are right around your top-end).

The Concert Flea sorta counts as a long-neck soprano, too.

The "petroglyph stuff" embellishing on the Anuenues is, unfortunately, a deal killer for me.
A friend said twenty years ago "I wish they'd leave Kokopelli alone."

Lehua makes a long neck soprano. I've played the Lehua and it's a very nice instrument.

This came up on a quick eBay search. Looks nice but I don't know anything about it.

I would like one of those KA SLNG s but they seem sold out. I do have one of the ohanas and it is real nice. The tenor neck makes the strings real tight so that enhances the sound. The Kala has a concert neck though and not a tenor so there would be a difference in string tension. The Ohana is a solid uke and the kala is a laminate but Kala might also have a solid one too... haven't seen those around either.

At Ohana we do an all-solid soprano body with a tenor neck. It is called the SK-30L. It's been very popular recently. We had one on the stand at NAMM and it went straight away after the show.

It lists at $209, but you get it for much less than this online.

thanks ken. i didn't realize ohana had this. it's definitely a very good option for me...i have another ohana and like i a lot. being solid, they can't be beat for the price.
that might be the only reason i wouldn't get it though as this uke may do some time sitting in my car, going on the boat in the summer etc.
nevertheless, i'm tempted.

Anuenue has a couple options, the Lani 1 (Koa $260) and Papa 1 (Mahogany $150) longnecks.

Kiwaya has the KSL-1 and KSL-2 (I think these are right around your top-end).

The Concert Flea sorta counts as a long-neck soprano, too.
i was looking at the anuenue's last night and almost pulled the trigger on the lani 1...but the petroglyphs held me back...which is to bad.
the kiwaya's are a little to much $ for my experiment in super soprano.
haven't got my hands on a flea...that could be an option. nice and rugged too.

Lehua makes a long neck soprano. I've played the Lehua and it's a very nice instrument.

This came up on a quick eBay search. Looks nice but I don't know anything about it.

hmmm. pretty. i'll look into the brand.

I would like one of those KA SLNG s but they seem sold out. I do have one of the ohanas and it is real nice. The tenor neck makes the strings real tight so that enhances the sound. The Kala has a concert neck though and not a tenor so there would be a difference in string tension. The Ohana is a solid uke and the kala is a laminate but Kala might also have a solid one too... haven't seen those around either.
the price of the kala is right on since it may get banged around a bit with travel etc...wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
i spotted the ohana on ebay. how do you find the tenor neck on a soprano body? must be a bit top heavy, no?

thanks ken. i didn't realize ohana had this. it's definitely a very good option for me...i have another ohana and like i a lot. being solid, they can't be beat for the price.
that might be the only reason i wouldn't get it though as this uke may do some time sitting in my car, going on the boat in the summer etc.
nevertheless, i'm tempted.

I enjoyed playing it at NAMM. I have not reviewed this model however. Think carefully before you choose. If you do decide to get one and want to change the strings, use concert size, not tenor. My personal choice would be Worth CM or BM.

Maybe a great koa option is a Mele "Jumbo" Soprano

Its a $450 on ebay.
My friend bougth this model and a Mele concert model. He likes so mutch the jumbo soprano sound and he sold the concert.

Its a $450 on ebay.
My friend bougth this model and a Mele concert model. He likes so mutch the jumbo soprano sound and he sold the concert.

it doesn't have the extended neck i'm looking for in the super soprano that is a beautiful uke...i want it.
my next buy after this super soprano is planned to be a solid soprano (in addition to the solid pineapple i have now). i was waiting for the new martin, but
this mele might change my mind. if i designed a uke, it would look just like that.

I'm leaning strongly toward my next uke being a soprano body with a concert neck. I've only seen I think one of those and it was a K-brand (Kanilea? - that or KoAloha). I still love the concert scale for strumming and I'd like that with a soprano body for the "traditional" uke sound.

John

Chap and I had a discussion about this last weekend. Super Soprano versus long neck soprano. Same thing or not? I always thought a super soprano was a soprano body with a concert scale neck. Now I see Ken's post about a soprano body with a tenor neck..

Is there a concensus on what these two designations mean?

I'm leaning strongly toward my next uke being a soprano body with a concert neck. I still love the concert scale for strumming and I'd like that with a soprano body for the "traditional" uke sound.

Same here, but ideally something other than koa for me, since I have a Koaloha concert already. I'm kind of hoping Mainland will come out with one in mahogany...:drool:

I've played the concert neck soprano from Koaloha at:bowdown: Acoustic Vibes. Definitely a fine little uke.

Chap and I had a discussion about this last weekend. Super Soprano versus long neck soprano. Same thing or not? I always thought a super soprano was a soprano body with a concert scale neck. Now I see Ken's post about a soprano body with a tenor neck..

Is there a concensus on what these two designations mean?

And the Mele soprano with a bigger body and regular neck to further muddy the waters...

Same here, but ideally something other than koa for me, since I have a Koaloha concert already. I'm kind of hoping Mainland will come out with one in mahogany...:drool:

+10 ON THAT! Are you listening, Mike? Only, I want mine in mango!

John

i've been doing a lot of looking around online today (as opposed to working). it seems some of the 'long necks' are tenor scale which seems like to much to me.
definitely narrowed down to the super sopranos which seem to all be concert scale.
i decided i couldn't go wrong with the kala at the sale price ($89), but it seems no one has any in until march(ish). and i mean no one. figured it could be the traveler and if i really liked the super soprano, i would get a nicer one for home down the road. the soprano sound and concert scale seems like it would be perfect.
if mainland had one i would get one for sure...they were the first place i went looking...love the rope binding.

Top Bottom