PDA

View Full Version : Super Soprano options?

sailor
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
What's available out there in the non-custom super soprano size.
Looking mid-range pricing, so the K brands are out for now....let's say a $400 'cap'.

Ken Middleton
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
At Ohana we do an all-solid soprano body with a tenor neck. It is called the SK-30L. It's been very popular recently. We had one on the stand at NAMM and it went straight away after the show.

It lists at $209, but you get it for much less than this online.

Chap
01-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Anuenue has a couple options, the Lani 1 (Koa $260) and Papa 1 (Mahogany $150) longnecks.

Kiwaya has the KSL-1 and KSL-2 (I think these are right around your top-end).

The Concert Flea sorta counts as a long-neck soprano, too.

cletus
01-25-2011, 03:30 AM
The "petroglyph stuff" embellishing on the Anuenues is, unfortunately, a deal killer for me.
A friend said twenty years ago "I wish they'd leave Kokopelli alone."

Skitzic
01-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Lehua makes a long neck soprano. I've played the Lehua and it's a very nice instrument.

This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Leolani-Soprano-Long-Neck-Ukulele-Zebrawood-Side-Tuner-/370475703209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642129ba9) came up on a quick eBay search. Looks nice but I don't know anything about it.

Paul Cote
01-25-2011, 04:27 AM
I would like one of those KA SLNG s but they seem sold out. I do have one of the ohanas and it is real nice. The tenor neck makes the strings real tight so that enhances the sound. The Kala has a concert neck though and not a tenor so there would be a difference in string tension. The Ohana is a solid uke and the kala is a laminate but Kala might also have a solid one too... haven't seen those around either.

sailor
01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
At Ohana we do an all-solid soprano body with a tenor neck. It is called the SK-30L. It's been very popular recently. We had one on the stand at NAMM and it went straight away after the show.

It lists at $209, but you get it for much less than this online.

thanks ken. i didn't realize ohana had this. it's definitely a very good option for me...i have another ohana and like i a lot. being solid, they can't be beat for the price.
that might be the only reason i wouldn't get it though as this uke may do some time sitting in my car, going on the boat in the summer etc.
nevertheless, i'm tempted.

sailor
01-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Anuenue has a couple options, the Lani 1 (Koa $260) and Papa 1 (Mahogany $150) longnecks.

Kiwaya has the KSL-1 and KSL-2 (I think these are right around your top-end).

The Concert Flea sorta counts as a long-neck soprano, too.
i was looking at the anuenue's last night and almost pulled the trigger on the lani 1...but the petroglyphs held me back...which is to bad.
the kiwaya's are a little to much $ for my experiment in super soprano.
haven't got my hands on a flea...that could be an option. nice and rugged too.

sailor
01-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Lehua makes a long neck soprano. I've played the Lehua and it's a very nice instrument.

This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Leolani-Soprano-Long-Neck-Ukulele-Zebrawood-Side-Tuner-/370475703209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642129ba9) came up on a quick eBay search. Looks nice but I don't know anything about it.

hmmm. pretty. i'll look into the brand.

sailor
01-25-2011, 06:53 AM
I would like one of those KA SLNG s but they seem sold out. I do have one of the ohanas and it is real nice. The tenor neck makes the strings real tight so that enhances the sound. The Kala has a concert neck though and not a tenor so there would be a difference in string tension. The Ohana is a solid uke and the kala is a laminate but Kala might also have a solid one too... haven't seen those around either.
the price of the kala is right on since it may get banged around a bit with travel etc...wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
i spotted the ohana on ebay. how do you find the tenor neck on a soprano body? must be a bit top heavy, no?

Ken Middleton
01-25-2011, 06:53 AM
thanks ken. i didn't realize ohana had this. it's definitely a very good option for me...i have another ohana and like i a lot. being solid, they can't be beat for the price.
that might be the only reason i wouldn't get it though as this uke may do some time sitting in my car, going on the boat in the summer etc.
nevertheless, i'm tempted.

I enjoyed playing it at NAMM. I have not reviewed this model however. Think carefully before you choose. If you do decide to get one and want to change the strings, use concert size, not tenor. My personal choice would be Worth CM or BM.

sailor
01-25-2011, 06:56 AM
thanks ken!

fabioponta
01-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Its a $450 on ebay.
My friend bougth this model and a Mele concert model. He likes so mutch the jumbo soprano sound and he sold the concert.

sailor
01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Its a $450 on ebay.
My friend bougth this model and a Mele concert model. He likes so mutch the jumbo soprano sound and he sold the concert.

it doesn't have the extended neck i'm looking for in the super soprano that is a beautiful uke...i want it.
my next buy after this super soprano is planned to be a solid soprano (in addition to the solid pineapple i have now). i was waiting for the new martin, but
this mele might change my mind. if i designed a uke, it would look just like that.

OldePhart
01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm leaning strongly toward my next uke being a soprano body with a concert neck. I've only seen I think one of those and it was a K-brand (Kanilea? - that or KoAloha). I still love the concert scale for strumming and I'd like that with a soprano body for the "traditional" uke sound.

John

olgoat52
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Chap and I had a discussion about this last weekend. Super Soprano versus long neck soprano. Same thing or not? I always thought a super soprano was a soprano body with a concert scale neck. Now I see Ken's post about a soprano body with a tenor neck..

Is there a concensus on what these two designations mean?

cletus
01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm leaning strongly toward my next uke being a soprano body with a concert neck. I still love the concert scale for strumming and I'd like that with a soprano body for the "traditional" uke sound.

Same here, but ideally something other than koa for me, since I have a Koaloha concert already. I'm kind of hoping Mainland will come out with one in mahogany...:drool:

I've played the concert neck soprano from Koaloha at:bowdown: Acoustic Vibes. Definitely a fine little uke.

cletus
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Chap and I had a discussion about this last weekend. Super Soprano versus long neck soprano. Same thing or not? I always thought a super soprano was a soprano body with a concert scale neck. Now I see Ken's post about a soprano body with a tenor neck..

Is there a concensus on what these two designations mean?

And the Mele soprano with a bigger body and regular neck to further muddy the waters...

OldePhart
01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Same here, but ideally something other than koa for me, since I have a Koaloha concert already. I'm kind of hoping Mainland will come out with one in mahogany...:drool:

+10 ON THAT! Are you listening, Mike? Only, I want mine in mango!

John

sailor
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
i've been doing a lot of looking around online today (as opposed to working). it seems some of the 'long necks' are tenor scale which seems like to much to me.
definitely narrowed down to the super sopranos which seem to all be concert scale.
i decided i couldn't go wrong with the kala at the sale price ($89), but it seems no one has any in until march(ish). and i mean no one. figured it could be the traveler and if i really liked the super soprano, i would get a nicer one for home down the road. the soprano sound and concert scale seems like it would be perfect.
if mainland had one i would get one for sure...they were the first place i went looking...love the rope binding.

EDW
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
I always thought that the sopranos with long necks look like giraffe ukuleles.

Maybe the flea folks would make a new design with giraffe spots on the body, like they did a number of years ago with the cow spots.

;-)

sailor
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I always thought that the sopranos with long necks look like giraffe ukuleles.

It become something new, an alternative. Maybe the flea folks would make a new design with giraffe spots on the body, like they did a number of years ago with the cow spots.

the tenor necks do look funny. i can't imagine they'd be to balanced either.

experimentjon
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
the tenor necks do look funny. i can't imagine they'd be to balanced either.

I've tried the KoAloha tenor-neck soprano. Suprisingly it is a lot more comfortable in hand than I had imagined from the pictures. Personally, I still don't like how disproportional it looks, but if you're worried about comfort and ergonomics while playing, it is perfectly fine.

cletus
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
+10 ON THAT! Are you listening, Mike? Only, I want mine in mango!
Mainland sopranos with concert necks:
Hell, yeah!:old:

EDW
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Right now there is a Kiwaya long neck soprano over at

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Kiwayas are terrific and well worth the $$

Doc_J
01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Although a little out of the OP price range, those Mya-moe super sopranos are sure nice.
This one is mine, just finished.
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=387&submit=Track

cletus
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
although a little out of the op price range, those mya-moe super sopranos are sure nice.
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingnumber=387&submit=track

oooh la lah!:drool::drool::drool:

grownupboy
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
you know - there's a flea with a concert neck available. it's not the most glamorous around but i gotta say the flukes and fleas (with rosewood fingerboards) aint half bad for the price!
g

sailor
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
you know - there's a flea with a concert neck available. it's not the most glamorous around but i gotta say the flukes and fleas (with rosewood fingerboards) aint half bad for the price!
g

point taken....and they do interest me.

i'm looking for a traveler, so i've definitely considered it, but i just can't part with over $300 (after the rosewood and shipping) for something plastic when there are things like the kala slng around (if and when they show up again) for around a hundred. i don't think the sound justifies it either.
on the other hand when shopping for a nicer 'home based' uke, i couldn't part with 300 knowing there are a lot of nice solid wood ukes around for not to much more.

if i got a great deal on the other hand, it could be perfect.

Paul Cote
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
The Ohana is lovely sounding. You can hear it on youtube. Its all solid for 150. Its definitely a giraffe though but thats what makes it way cool as the strings are so tight it sounds great. SK-30L

sailor
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
The Ohana is lovely sounding. You can hear it on youtube. Its all solid for 150. Its definitely a giraffe though but thats what makes it way cool as the strings are so tight it sounds great. SK-30L

that thing sort of is tempting me for $150. i have the ohana solid mahogany pinapple and love it.
how sensitive are solid mahogany bodies? say in the summer it spent a few hours in the car, then spent a day or 2 on a boat and then went home to it's air conditioned home.
i suppose any solid uke have problems?

sailor
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
anyone have an idea if these vineyards are the same as the ohana's? they sure look similar.

http://www.praiselandmusic.com/catalog/images/UK-150ML-1-L.png

http://www.ohana-music.com/sopr/sk30l/mod_f.jpg

OldePhart
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Although a little out of the OP price range, those Mya-moe super sopranos are sure nice.
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=387&submit=Track

Oooh, pretty! :drool:

Paul Cote
01-26-2011, 01:57 AM
that vineyard looks identical to me. Never heard of vineyard.

haolejohn
01-26-2011, 02:02 AM
anyone have an idea if these vineyards are the same as the ohana's? they sure look similar.

http://www.praiselandmusic.com/catalog/images/UK-150ML-1-L.png

http://www.ohana-music.com/sopr/sk30l/mod_f.jpg
I have played VIneyard ukes and used to own a pineapple solid mahogany. Pretty decent ukuleles for the price. UkeRepublic sells vineyard and he takes care of his ukes with set ups and what not.

I know there is a lot of love an interest in the tenor neck soprano but I played one that Mim carried and I felt that the uke was very unstable. the neck was just too big. It was fun to play sitting down but once I stood up, it just felt unbalanced to me.

Paul Cote
01-26-2011, 02:10 AM
I dont' see that vineyard on vineyard guitar's website so where are you finding them?

haolejohn
01-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I dont' see that vineland on vineland guitar's website so where are you finding them?

go to www.ukerepublic.com I know he has some in stock.

Paul Cote
01-26-2011, 02:23 AM
cool I go to Atlanta quite a bit... I might stop the online shopping lol

haolejohn
01-26-2011, 02:35 AM
cool I go to Atlanta quite a bit... I might stop the online shopping lol

let us know next time you come to ATL, We have multiple uke togethers and we love hosting out of towners. Met a great guy from Canada once as he was passing through. Nothing like meeting at a coffee shop for some brew and some tunes. Also, Mike will set up a viewing for you. It has cured me from Online shopping.

Uke Republic
01-26-2011, 03:40 AM
The Vineyard long neck soprano requires a tenor size bag. Available in lam and solid mahogany.