PDA

View Full Version : Shimabukuro limited edtion Kamaka on eBay

bazonkers
01-24-2011, 08:34 PM
In case anyone is looking for one of these limited Jake Shimabukuro Kamaka ukuleles, there is one on eBay right now for a buy it now of $17,000 (or best offer).

It's nice but unless some super wealthy collector just has to have this instrument, I don't think it's going to sell at that high price. Maybe the buyer will accept a much lower best offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMABUKURO-KAMAKA-CUSTOM-UKULELE-AUTOGRAPHED-17-100-/190494726792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a5eda88#ht_500wt_1156

Bid away! :) (It's not my auction, btw.)

countrybumpkin
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I like Jake and I like Kamaka, but ...

experimentjon
01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Hot damn. But thanks for the link. I'll forward it onto someone wealthy I know who might actually be interested in purchasing it.

Michael_
01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Rosewood fretboard? In this price range I would have expected ebony!

johntz
01-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Wow. What did these originally sell for? How much of a premium is this seller asking for?

Doc_J
01-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Hmmm... for $17,000 maybe Jake would sell you his own uke.:)

haolejohn
01-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Hmmm... for $17,000 maybe Jake would sell you his own uke.:)

exactly, but I remember reading somewhere that estimates for his uke were around 20k.
But for 17k we could ahve bought 3 of those new:)

Kanaka916
01-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Wow. What did these originally sell for? How much of a premium is this seller asking for?

I believe the original cost was $5500.

dnewton2
01-25-2011, 02:04 AM
Come on guys it is only a 240% markup. That seems reasonably.:)

mm stan
01-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Even if it was Jake's personal ukulele, I can't imagine anyone paying that much for this ukulele...Sorry it makes me think of scalpers for tickets and this guy saying that he played it for 10 minuetes....he probally
wasn't even intrested in the ukulele at all and someone else who really wanted it to lose out on it...the rich gets richer type senerio...sheesh.

rem50
01-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Hmm????? I wonder if my wife would mind????? Hmmm?????

Kauai808
01-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Will I play like Jake if I have this uke?
Very tempting.

johntz
01-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Even if it was Jake's personal ukulele, I can't imagine anyone paying that much for this ukulele...Sorry it makes me think of scalpers for tickets and this guy saying that he played it for 10 minuetes....he probally
wasn't even intrested in the ukulele at all and someone else who really wanted it to lose out on it...the rich gets richer type senerio...sheesh.

I totally agree with you. Too bad someone who would really of enjoyed it didn't win the lottery for it.

Sake1one
01-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Anyone know how many ukes were in the edition originally?

dnewton2
01-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Anyone know how many ukes were in the edition originally?

Pretty sure it is a series of 100, but something like 30 have been completed and delivered.

70sSanO
01-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Kauai808 posted..
Will I play like Jake if I have this uke?

Kamaka Jake Shimabukuro Limited Edition - $5500
D'Addario J71 Strings - $3.99
Being able to play like Jake - Priceless...

... or $17,000 on ebay.

John

spruce
01-25-2011, 05:06 AM
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ukulelefriend-com-1920s-KAMAKA-GUITAR-ukulele-works-/230574544008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af505488#ht_997wt_1141) would make a nice companion piece....

Ronnie Aloha
01-25-2011, 06:16 AM
The auction would have to be "play like Jake" for $17,000. There was another JS on ebay a month or two ago and that went for $6,500 and only had one bidder.

Personally, I would take five or six MooreBettahs at that price.

I do give the seller credit for keeping the shipping costs down. $20 is very reasonable. Heck, he's probably LOSING money on the shipping. Of course, MGM usually includes free shipping all the way from Hawaii. : )

If my offer of $500 is accepted I'll post photos and a video upon receiving it. Wish me luck!

wickedwahine11
01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
What a shame. I echo the earlier thought that I wish someone else would have won his/her lottery position...somebody that would have truly enjoyed and appreciated that ukulele. Ugh. Even if I had 17K (which I would never have, or pay, for an ukulele) I wouldn't buy it from this person. I think that markup is insanity. I understand that maybe they now need the money, or maybe they don't feel worthy of that ukulele, or maybe they are nervous playing one that expensive, or just that they changed their mind, so they want to get rid of it. So sell it for the $5500 you paid. Or even $7500 if you want to make a profit. I could even see them trying to charge 10K since they are so rare. But I think 17K is ridiculous.

If my offer of $500 is accepted I'll post photos and a video upon receiving it. Wish me luck!
Go Ronnie go! I'm rooting for you. ;)

Tudorp
01-25-2011, 06:24 AM
No disrespect to Jake our brudda. But, there aint' no artist I like enough to pay figures like that for any signiture. Maybe it's because I have never been "star struck". I mean, one that got the opportunity to sit with Billy Gibbons and the boys for a beer before a concert in Houston, and tho cool as heck, but still basically just a beer with the boys, I wouldn't even have paid that much if he gave me his Les Paul. Just sayin. Crazy, that is.. Nice Uke tho.

dnewton2
01-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Oh now I know to bid $501. kidding

I understand that maybe they now need the money, or maybe they don't feel worthy of that ukulele, or maybe they are nervous playing one that expensive, or just that they changed their mind, so they want to get rid of it.

I was thinking this same thing just before I read your post. When was the lottery? Like 4 years ago. A lot of things have happened since then, many jobs lost, maybe additions to families, subtractions from families, list goes on and on. I am not defending this sale I still think the markup is a bit over the top.

Tudorp
01-25-2011, 06:59 AM
their list price is crazy, but if you get it for $500, I'm gonna go eat a double whopper from Burger King (UUBL Joke...) ;)

mds725
01-25-2011, 07:41 AM
No disrespect to Jake our brudda. But, there aint' no artist I like enough to pay figures like that for any signature.

Jake will actually sign an ukulele at no charge before or after his concert appearances. Of course, you have to buy a ticket to the concert and you have to bring your own ukulele.....

Ronnie Aloha
01-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Oh now I know to bid $501.

You Dirty Rotten Scoundrel! : )

Tudorp
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Jake will actually sign an ukulele at no charge before or after his concert appearances. Of course, you have to buy a ticket to the concert and you have to bring your own ukulele.....

By signiture I meant not only his actual signiture, but apparently that uke is "his" signiture uke indorsed by him. I want a Neal Schon signiture Gibson Les Paul, but those things list at just over $10,000 per copy, and I'm not going to consider even that (as if I could) for a guitar, endorsed by a roll model of mine or not.. ;) just saying.. hehheh

pulelehua
01-25-2011, 07:57 AM
This has all the aloha spirit of a puddle of sick.

molokinirum
01-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Now if I only knew a rich person, and convince them to buy it, then I could play it for FREE!!!
Sounds like a plan!!!

DustinCasler
01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
wow. that's just a bit ridiculous.....

Coconut Willie
01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
$17,000??? I can't even afford the original $5,500!!!

bbqribs
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Jake Shimabukuro signed soprano ukulele, a steal at $13,000. (Originally $13)

Miss Michele
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
What does $17,000 look like, anyway?

OldePhart
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
No disrespect to Jake our brudda. But, there aint' no artist I like enough to pay figures like that for any signiture. Maybe it's because I have never been "star struck". I mean, one that got the opportunity to sit with Billy Gibbons and the boys for a beer before a concert in Houston, and tho cool as heck, but still basically just a beer with the boys, I wouldn't even have paid that much if he gave me his Les Paul. Just sayin. Crazy, that is.. Nice Uke tho.

Heh, heh. We're so alike it's scary. :) I just never got the whole "signature" thing. Personally, if somebody's name is going to be inlaid on my instrument it darn well better be my name! This goes back to when I was quite young. We went to Hawaii when I was a little tyke, the summer after first grade. It was a Pan Am flight and the stewardess (yeah, that's what they called 'em back when Pan Am was still flying) came back to coach and told my mother and I that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were in first class and they were signing autographs for any of the kids that wanted to meet them. I couldn't be bothered - was having too much fun drawing on that little thing where you scribble on it and then lift the plastic to erase the picture!

If I remember right both my mom and the stew looked a little aghast when mom urged me to go meet Roy Rogers and I said, "why would I do that?" I suspect mom was hoping to accompany me forward and meet them herself... LOL

John

spruce
01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Ya know when things get to that price level, folks start thinking about how to fake one.....
And it would not be all that hard to do....

Tudorp
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Heh, heh. We're so alike it's scary. :)

hahah.. Yeah, that IS scary. In fact, I think I'm gonna look though the yellow pages for a therapist now, hahha.. Actually, maybe it's just an old guy thing. But I doubt it, because I been that way also as long as I have a memory. I have had similar situation with "celebreties" as a kid that I had other stuff to tear up rather than go meet someone that was supposed to be famous. My Billy Gibbons story is a long one how I ended up drinking a beer with him, but to be honest, it was fun and he even told me sitting right there next to him and I quote, "ya know man. You are an unbelieveably cool dude. You don't give a *&#*@ who I am do you?". After taking a hit off my beer responded "No disrespect brother, but, no.. I don't.. But I'm gonna go sit down in a bit and listen to your work and have a blast tonight..." He laughed his signiture laugh, put his arm around me and said "I like this dude man.. " and we finished our beers.. But again, cool guy, but just another cool guy... Just sayin..

Hippie Dribble
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm with oldephart and tudorp...:old:... implicitly belittling of oneself to carry around a uke with someone elses name on it. I don't get it at all. Like Mark said, he signs em for ya anyway and you can take along a Mahalo for $25. Shucks, I could sell my entire uke collection of 20+ ukes and still not be able to afford that one ukulele. As for the 300% markup, people have gone to jail for lesser evils. A doity cashing in on the popularity of our beloved instrument. Obviously marketed at people with more dollars than sense...jus throwin in me own :2cents:

Dane
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey, if you got one and you're not attached to it, wouldn't you do the same thing? It might be a ridiculous price, but you never know, someone might buy it. Or you might get a good offer.

I'm doing that with some stuff on craigslist right now, I'm not trying to sell the things immediately, so they're a little higher price than normal.

Hippie Dribble
01-25-2011, 03:15 PM
agreed Dane for sure. If I wasn't attached to it I would definitely try and sell it on. My beef is with someone having the gall to ask for over 3 x it's supposed original value after having won it in a lottery!!! Very hard to defend such blatant greed. But you're right, someone might buy it or make an acceptable offer and good luck to em if they do!!!

bazonkers
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Now another one has shown up on eBay. It's a "steal" at only $11,995. I'm still holding out for a cheaper one. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Kamaka-Jake-Shimabukuro-Signature-Tenor-Curly-Koa-/150553871945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230db5c649#ht_720wt_1141

mm stan
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Just goes to show you how much of these type of opportunists who didn't deserve to win the lottery ......there are alot of us who would treasure and play it rather than just to make a absorbant amount of money from it... I hope they get punished by the ukulele gods.....and or elimanated from future lotteries....

collin415
01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Now another one has shown up on eBay. It's a "steal" at only $11,995. I'm still holding out for a cheaper one. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Kamaka-Jake-Shimabukuro-Signature-Tenor-Curly-Koa-/150553871945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230db5c649#ht_720wt_1141

Well, $50 shipping on that one...just puts it out of my range. :biglaugh:

bazonkers
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but if I bought a ukulele for $6500 and then sold it for $12,000 or $17,000, I'd throw the shipping in for free!

bazonkers
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
What does $17,000 look like, anyway?

Almost two of these:

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill1.jpg

Which of course leads to the next question, what does a million dollars look like?

Like this: (surprisingly small!)

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill3.jpg

Dane
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
For some reason this doesn't bother me really. I don't know if it's because I don't personally want one or what. Just because they're selling it doesn't mean they're a bad person. Maybe they just aren't all that into it, so they list it high and hope for offers. You also realize that by listing it high, they get a lot of people talking about it.... like in this thread.... which means word travels around, and the chance of them getting more offers is higher...

kissing
01-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Does it come in concert size? :P

Plainsong
01-26-2011, 02:51 AM
I've been mulling over this Kamaka Jake S. model for a while now, and maybe what I'll say might put people off, but I'll say it anyway.

This is a marketing venture and a mistake for the brand, the company, and the uke community. Let's see, there's a rosewood fretboard, someone else's initials other than yours, and a lame headstock. It's a custom with a uber-custom price and no customized options. And what about all the unique custom instruments Kamaka COULD be making? Nope, they're tied up with this model. And what is it really? It's a great uke, with some great wood. Can't they do that without churning out the same thing over and over? What about new up and coming players to be sponsored? Oh no, we're tied up making this uke. Or they could bring in more staff and take some away from this project onto others, but then what about the customer?

If they want to help the uke craze, then they should keep doing what they're doing, always trying to find ways of doing it better, and keep the custom shop open. This just churns out collector's items. Sure it's a great instrument but come on, it's just marketing.

What this guy on ebay is doing is just a by-product, and it does no favors to the brand IMO.

No offense to anyone that's bought one. I mean you paid enough, you knew well enough that you wanted to get it. :)

Tudorp
01-26-2011, 03:01 AM
I've been mulling over this Kamaka Jake S. model for a while now, and maybe what I'll say might put people off, but I'll say it anyway.

This is a marketing venture and a mistake for the brand, the company, and the uke community. Let's see, there's a rosewood fretboard, someone else's initials other than yours, and a lame headstock. It's a custom with a uber-custom price and no customized options. And what about all the unique custom instruments Kamaka COULD be making? Nope, they're tied up with this model. And what is it really? It's a great uke, with some great wood. Can't they do that without churning out the same thing over and over? What about new up and coming players to be sponsored? Oh no, we're tied up making this uke. Or they could bring in more staff and take some away from this project onto others, but then what about the customer?

If they want to help the uke craze, then they should keep doing what they're doing, always trying to find ways of doing it better, and keep the custom shop open. This just churns out collector's items. Sure it's a great instrument but come on, it's just marketing.

What this guy on ebay is doing is just a by-product, and it does no favors to the brand IMO.

No offense to anyone that's bought one. I mean you paid enough, you knew well enough that you wanted to get it. :)

It dont put me off. I agree wholeheartely. Like I mentioned earlier. I just don't get the "Signiture" thing.. Never have..

rasputinsghost
01-26-2011, 03:34 AM

This is a marketing venture and a mistake for the brand, the company, and the uke community.

I don't think the thousands of signature models that the big guitar companies churn out devalue the instrument much, if at all. So there's that.
Moreover, what's to indicate that this model prevents Kamaka from doing anything? Or that they're substantively tied up? I don't think they were churning out custom models BEFORE releasing the signature.

Sake1one
01-26-2011, 03:34 AM
The only problem is that from a buisness standpoint it was a complete success for Kamaka. I mean a lottey for a chance to buy a 5,500$ ukulele?

NatalieS
01-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I don't get who would want this uke, but I don't blame Kamaka for making them. They endorse Jake don't they? I figure there's a lot of give and take between a company and the artists who play their instruments. Jake is the most famous uke player right now, period. You could say that they're capitalizing on his fame, but I don't see it that way. I think it's the "scalpers" who are trying to capitalize on it by marking up the price so much.

(As a buyer, I don't see the need or want for a Jake uke. I like my own humble little Kamaka HP-1 because it's 100% me. Take that, $17K seller!!)

Dane
01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't think it damages our community at all, it was an intelligent business venture on the part of Kamaka, and if anything it just brings more attention to the ukulele. And I believe they only made 100 of them, so it's not like they are factory pumping out Jake Ukes....

Paul December
01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Jake may be big in the tiny uke world, but he isn't BIG enough in the music world to get the price up anywhere close to $17,000.
There are only a few names that can make a music instrument triple its price, and Jake just isn't one of them.

bazonkers
01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I do have to say that if I had that much money to spend on a single ukulele, I'd rather custom design an amazing ukulele for a fraction of the price. For $17,000 I bet I could have three different ones made in different sizes. I haven't had a uke custom built but I'd imagine $5K would get you a GREAT sounding and looking instrument from a top builder.

Shin
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow, another one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150553871945&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Balsa Dust
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow, another one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150553871945&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeah, but you save with shipping on the first one!:rotfl:

Tudorp
01-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Just a thought. Does anybody really spend that kind of money on Ebay? I mean, if you got that much disposable income to even be in the market for something like that, odds are, you aren't looking on ebay to begin with.. Just sayin..

lordlogan
01-26-2011, 10:22 AM
The only instrument i might pay 17 k for would be the guitar Paul played at the Ed Sullivan show with John, Ringo, Paul and Georges signatures permantly carved into the guitar!

bazonkers
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Actually, it's kind of the best place to look for this sort of stuff. Where else would you look? If someone has one of these for sale, the best place to get lots of possible people looking at it is on eBay.

As for spending money on eBay, when I use to work there, we had a statistic that showed a car was bought on eBay roughly every 60 seconds.

Bosconian91
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
At the moment, this limited edition ukulele may not reach 17 thousand as there will still be a few ukuleles to be made.

$17,000 is a lot of money, specially to us poor majority. However, seventeen grand is not a whole lot for some collectors. I bet his personal uke could fetch $17,000 easily in just a few years.

Tudorp
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Sorry Jake. Your the man. But I aint cougin up $17k for even your personal uke, today, or in the future. If Neal Schon knocked on my door and handed me his personal Les Paul and said I could have it for $17K, I would slap him with the back side of it. And I've liked Neal Schon much longer, hehheh.. Just sayin.. ;)

Dane
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Just a thought. Does anybody really spend that kind of money on Ebay? I mean, if you got that much disposable income to even be in the market for something like that, odds are, you aren't looking on ebay to begin with.. Just sayin..

Well actually, for high price items, often ebay works more like a popular craigslist than anything. A lot of times people will post their item at a crazy high price so that no one will buy it, but then will recieve offers from people, and then remove the listing and do the sale in private. Cuz the seller doesn't want to give that huge fee to ebay!

Bosconian91
01-26-2011, 02:33 PM
eBay is the haven for collectors - of both buyers and sellers.

01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
If I had $17,000 just sitting around collecting dust, that uke would be one of the first things I would buy.

Or maybe I'd buy this boat and save a couple thousand dollars:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-BAYLINER-3486-TROPHY-SERIES-90991132

P-co
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
For that money I would fly to Hawaii and get a custom uke made up, preferably a MB but would go with a Kamaka, then fly to where ever in the world Jake was playing, slip him a grand, take him out to dinner and get him to autograph the uke and fly home with change. Actually sounds quite do-able.

bbqribs
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
For that money I would fly to Hawaii and get a custom uke made up, preferably a MB but would go with a Kamaka, then fly to where ever in the world Jake was playing, slip him a grand, take him out to dinner and get him to autograph the uke and fly home with change. Actually sounds quite do-able.

Now that sounds good!

Uncle Leroy
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Although it is a unigue and highly impresive instrument, I bet that in a side by sound blind comparison most of "us" couldn't tell the difference between this and an HF-3. Just my two cents.

Miss Michele
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Almost two of these:

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill1.jpg

Which of course leads to the next question, what does a million dollars look like?

Like this: (surprisingly small!)

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill3.jpg

Well, my excitement over a million dollars just went out the door.

Plainsong
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
That trip to Hawaii could include the custom MB, and each example of what each K Brand has to offer in the scale of your choice. And staying at some nice places, tipping well..

I agree, I don't think it's going to sound much different than an HF-3 with some master grade wood unless it magically comes with Jake's chops as well.

experimentjon
01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a friend who is looking for one of these Jake ukes. He is willing to pay $6500, maybe a bit more. I told him that he could just get a Kamaka custom for that price. A nice one. But he has the money, and just doesn't have the time to wait for a custom.

Of course, $17k is way out of line. You can get a Rolex Daytona and Omega Speedmaster Pro for that.

If anyone is selling a Shimabukuro at $6500, shoot me a PM and I'll pass the info on.

casarole45
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I have a friend who is looking for one of these Jake ukes. He is willing to pay $6500, maybe a bit more. I told him that he could just get a Kamaka custom for that price. A nice one. But he has the money, and just doesn't have the time to wait for a custom.

Of course, $17k is way out of line. You can get a Rolex Daytona and Omega Speedmaster Pro for that.

If anyone is selling a Shimabukuro at $6500, shoot me a PM and I'll pass the info on.

17k was a buy it now price. There was an option to make offer

Tube
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
If it only had a slotted headstock, but so...

70sSanO
01-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Tube wrote...
If it only had a slotted headstock

Not that I am in the market for one of these ukuleles, but without the slotted headstock, there is really little difference between this an an HF3. As another poster said, the headstock is lame.

If Kamaka made a mistake anywhere in producing this instrument, the headstock is it. In some ways it screams... poser.

John

wearymicrobe
01-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Ya know when things get to that price level, folks start thinking about how to fake one.....
And it would not be all that hard to do....

Fake one, heck I could fake one with the slotted headstock and get a closer match of the grain that he has on his personal uke for under 7K.

having seen one in person these things are not even worth the 5.5K they were asking if you won the lottery. (Personal; Opinion)

Nickie
01-27-2011, 06:42 AM
I'd have RUN to the other end of the airplane to meet Dale Evans and Roy Rogers. They were my heroes! Personally, I don't want an ukulele that cost 17K, or 12K, or even 5.5K. I'd NEVER take it anywhere, and I might even be afraid to take it out of the case and strum it! It had better be insured...

bazonkers
01-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, my excitement over a million dollars just went out the door.

Oh, well then you might be interested in this:

100 million dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill4.jpg

1 billion dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill5.jpg

and of course, 1 trillion dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/trillion.jpg

Miss Michele
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh, well then you might be interested in this:

100 million dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill4.jpg

1 billion dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/bill5.jpg

and of course, 1 trillion dollars

http://www.tonyrushblog.com/media/trillion/trillion.jpg

NOW that's much better! lol

Miss Michele
01-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I'd have RUN to the other end of the airplane to meet Dale Evans and Roy Rogers. They were my heroes! Personally, I don't want an ukulele that cost 17K, or 12K, or even 5.5K. I'd NEVER take it anywhere, and I might even be afraid to take it out of the case and strum it! It had better be insured...

I would probably do the exact same thing! lol It would probably stay in it's case in the closet! haha