How do you play a Eb (E flat) Chord?

nuadre

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Trying to learn "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal on my concert uki :D Using the chords from here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/seal/kiss_from_a_rose_crd.htm

Can't figure out how to do a Eb chord and can't find it anywhere. Looked on the chord chart but all I found was an Ebm chord and that sounded strange, really not what I'm after. Is that actually the Eb? :S

Can someone tell me how to do an Eb chord pleease :D

Edit: ahh just looked through other versions and they all have different chords! Should I just use the one that sounds right to me? And why do others have different chords for the same song?

Eb is 0331 and Ebm is 3321

here, meet my friend ukebuddy who can answer the first question! (save the link you'll find it handy, often!!)

Other versions may show differant fingerings if the tuning for the ukelele is not for C tuning

Eb is Eb major, also written as (though not often )EbM and Eb is the same chord as D#, why?? cos thats the way it is

Eb minor is written as Ebm (or following the above ruling D#m)

Each of the sharps, is the flat of the chord following it....clear as mud?????

Last edited:
Eb is 0331 and Ebm is 3321

Just found it on the chart! But on the chart is says 3331, but you say 0331. Yours sounds better but can you explain the difference? Is it just preference/there's more than one way to play a chord? Thanks kanaka :D

here, meet my friend ukebuddy who can answer the first question! (save the link you'll find it handy, often!!)

Other versions may show differant fingerings if the tuning for the ukelele is not for C tuning

Eb is Eb major, also written as (though not often )EbM, Eb minor is written as Ebm

Wow that was quick! Thank's gazukes. With ukebuddy how do I find a flat chord? Do I just look for the sharp note? E.g. Eb I look for D#?
Also, when it gives you 4 ways to play the chord, would you use the same number chord for each of the chords you play?

e.g. if chord progression is Gm F G would you use the 1st way of playing the chord for each of Gm, F, G, or can you say play the 2nd version of F and firsts of Gm G?

Thanks again! Love this forum

Well you can answer your own question if you look at what notes each of those fret markings make. 3331, would be Bb, Eb, G, Bb. What notes make a basic Eb triad? Eb, g, Bb. Kanaka's version doubles the G, the one in the book doubles the Bb. So sonically it's down to preference, but ergonomically his version has gotta be easier.... depending on where your fingers just were.

Edit: Enharmonics work like this:

The chromatic scale moves in half-steps. Moving up from C to C:

C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, #A, B, C

Now down from C to C:

C, B, Bb, A, Ab, G, Gb, F, E, Eb, D, Db, C

Another name for C could be B#. Another name for B could be Cb, F could be E#, or E could be Fb... Sonically these Eb=D# and so on. Notice they're the same notes.

To sharpen or flatten means to move one half-step from the tone in question. # means go up, b means go down. So if you see something with two or three sharps or flats, move that many halfsteps up or down.

Last edited:
Well you can answer your own question if you look at what notes each of those fret markings make. 3331, would be Bb, Eb, G, Bb. What notes make a basic Eb triad? Eb, g, Bb. Kanaka's version doubles the G, the one in the book doubles the Bb. So sonically it's down to preference, but ergonomically his version has gotta be easier.... depending on where your fingers just were.

Now down from C to C:

C, B, Bb, A, Ab, G, Gb, F, E, Eb, D, Db, C

Another name for C could be B#. Another name for B could be Cb, F could be E#, or E could be Fb... Sonically these Eb=D# and so on. Notice they're the same notes.

To sharpen or flatten means to move one half-step from the tone in question. # means go up, b means go down. So if you see something with two or three sharps or flats, move that many halfsteps up or down.

ooo wow that makes a lot of sense thanks plainsong. I have basically no knowledge of musical theory. Always thought it went like
C, C#, Db, D, D#, Eb, E, E# etc etc all one one scale. >.< Wow I feel silly haha thanks alot!

Also what do you mean by "doubling" a chord? E.g. you say Kanaka's version doubles the G.

Aloha Nuadre,
I play my Eb....0331 which I like...I hope it helps.....Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Also what do you mean by "doubling" a chord? E.g. you say Kanaka's version doubles the G.

If you have another look at uke Buddy, when the chord Is D#, version 1, on the right, it tells you what the note of each string is as the string is fretted, made shorter.....now` have a look at version 2, see it has 2 A# NOTES, so its not doubling the chord, but doubling the notes within the chord.

Hope this is helping you an not too confusing, (truly I am not much ahead of you in this class!!!!!)

Hello nuadre

Eb chord contains Eb, G and Bb notes. It is identical to D# chord, incidentally.

There are many shapesto play Eb chord:

0 3 3 1

3 3 3 1

0 3 3 6 (use index finger to barre 3rd fret)

3 3 3 6 (ditto)

3 3 6 6 (technically a Eb5 chord, i.e., contains no G)

8 7 6 6

0 7 6 6 (high up but easy to play)

8 10 11 10

8 10 11 13 (has a nice ring to it)

0 10 11 10

12 10 11 10

and so on

As for me, I avoid a song with Eb. If I must, I use 3 3 3 6

Cheers
Chief

thanks, that makes total perfect sense. music theory is not one of my strong points, even though my grandfather (read : bless his heart) was an accomplished and talented jazz musician.

Last edited:
g'day nuadre. Eb is a tough one when you're beginning the journey of playing fretted instruments, because it really means you need to learn how to barre chords, as with a guitar.

If you're familiar with guitar chords, Eb is a similar shape to how you'd play a Bb on a guitar.

Easiest way for me is to play it 3331 with the index finger barred over the whole of the 1st fret.

Alternatively, a sweeter and richer chord shape for Eb is to play it 3336, this time with the index finger barred over the 3rd fret and using the pinky on the 'A' string.

Either way I think it's a very important chord to learn if you can. Cheers and happy playing!!!! :)

I have been playing (or trying to play) the Eb 3331 but I like the 0331 much, much better!!! Mahalo Kanaka & mm stan for the tip!!!

I usually play Eb as 3336.

Although, if a song calls for a lot of Eb chords, I mightjust transpose the dang thing to give me easier chords. :)

JJ

As for me, I avoid a song with Eb. If I must, I use 3 3 3 6

Cheers
Chief

8 7 6 6, or 3 3 3 6.

I just like the way it sounds better.

Plus, I don't read tab or notation - I have to go by ear.

-Kurt

Oh, I think we forgot to answer one of the OP's questions. It was something about how when he looked up a song, it had completely different chords. That would be because that version of the song is in a different key. I'm not going to go too in-depth here but a key is that part of the sheet music at the beginning where there could be lots of flats or sharps. It tells you which notes (not chords, the notes IN the chords!) are going to be flat or sharp.

For example, let's take a normal chord progression. C, F, G, C. Let's say you're playing that at a jam session. Then maybe someone wants to sing, but it's too low or high for them. So then someone shouts: "In F!" Ok, the key has changed from C to F. What are the chords then? It's F, Bb, C, F. If someone shouted: "In Bb!" The chords would be: Bb, Eb, F, Bb.

The key of C has no flats or sharps, F has one flat and that is Bb, Bb has 2 flats and those are Bb, Eb.. Google BEADGCF to learn more. I'm sure there are plenty of music learning sites.

You don't even need to play the chords to see this is true. Just play them as a note, and you'll see that it's the same thing.... but at a different pitch.

If you want to play along with something already recorded, you'll need to hunt down the song in its original key. Sometimes that can get annoying.

Thanks to my lack of piano skills, I never learned to think in chords, like my husband did. So as I'm typing this, I don't want to come off as a Pointdexter know-it-all because I have to think about this stuff too. :)

Top Bottom