Midweek interview

SWEET! Very nice article! :nana:

Hell Yeah! My roommate showed me the article yesterday! I was all, AWWwwww s#@t :cool: Then I saw my boys from Ong king getting coverage two pages back, and I am just glad that Midweek is showing love to such deserving poeple. :worship: All the best to you!

ooo nice! is this JUST online or is it in the newspaper one too? if it is in the midweek, i gotta check it out and save it. then i could brag that i've been a part of it since the beginning :p

so the rumors regarding a UU uke are real.........

Hey Ryan. Great article. I did'nt see it in the Mililani Issue. Hmmmmmm. I gotta go look again. Good job man. Good job.

Nice to see that you are getting some media attention. Getting started is very hard when noone sees you ;)

I am surprised to see that the journalist cut out the part where you praise the forum members for their continuing effort to make your "company" (mentioned 4 times in the article) flourish... Up to today, I thought UU was a "community", but it appears we may be getting wound up in the capitalist treadmill after all... :D

Up to today, I thought UU was a "community", but it appears we may be getting wound up in the capitalist treadmill after all... :D

For us it's a community. For them it's both. They're pretty crafty too. They're getting members to advertise for them for a chance to win a donated ukulele. That's pretty smart business.

Ah, I dug through the stack of newspapers and found the Friday midweek and after going through it twice found the article around the middle of the paper. It's a half-page on the bottom. Nice article. I can't wait to see the Kala. Hopefully when it comes out, I can justify the purchase. Not sure if my mother will believe that I need another uke. XD

For us it's a community. For them it's both. They're pretty crafty too. They're getting members to advertise for them for a chance to win a donated ukulele. That's pretty smart business.
Telepathy is in action here. I did not want to put it so bold, but 20 years from now, business school students may be analysing UU to learn about smart business strategy. But let's not get cynical, UU participation is free and a valuable online resource of information :)

Ah, I dug through the stack of newspapers and found the Friday midweek and after going through it twice found the article around the middle of the paper. It's a half-page on the bottom. Nice article. I can't wait to see the Kala. Hopefully when it comes out, I can justify the purchase. Not sure if my mother will believe that I need another uke. XD

i just found it too. its good to see how far UU has come since it first opened.

I am surprised to see that the journalist cut out the part where you praise the forum members for their continuing effort to make your "company" (mentioned 4 times in the article) flourish... Up to today, I thought UU was a "community", but it appears we may be getting wound up in the capitalist treadmill after all... :D

Magazines, Newspapers, any journalistic media outlet will always pull what interests their readers. Not only that, the editor has the right to cut the story to make it fit into the space allotted. Midweek is a HAWAII publication so of course the focus of any article in it is going to be on the people from Hawaii.

It's not that difficult of a concept to understand.

The job of any media outlet is to cater to its reader or viewer.
To them, the story here was, "3 local boys from Kauai started a ukulele website thats taken off." There are a lot of things that I talked about on the phone that never made it to print, and that is just a natural part of the editorial process. It would have been great if we could have mentioned every single person on the forum in the article but that just wasn't a possibility. I did try to stress that the community is what makes the website special. If you watched our Brown Bags Interview, that's ALL we talked about. That being said, I think Melissa did a great job with the article and I'm very grateful for them to even feature us in Midweek.

Last edited:

Deach, you're such a Sassy Sally :p

I just got my copy in Saturday's mail. I may just go and frame mine.

Hey guys, I still have the Brown Bags Show on my DVR. I figured out that I have to go buy a DVD re-writeable disc so I can copy it to that then edit it on my computer. I'll get it posted soon.

Top Bottom