Anyone know the REAL story about G String ukuleles?

PedalFreak

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a G-String Tenor. And I've heard numerous stories, ranging from: He closed up shop completely, he downsized and is working on retooling for a small shop, he is only finishing up old orders and he is done. I've had shops tell me they have stuff on order and everything is fine. Other shops have told me that they are not saying the ukes have a warranty because he is out of business.

What to believe???????

I know Derek moved to the Big Island. But that is it. I've emailed him about having a uke built but haven't heard anything back.

Would love to know as well. I LOVE my Gstring I bought from Nuprin, and would love to have another. Great uke, sweet appointments. I plan on replacing the tuners w/Pegheds (the planetary geared, retro looking tuners).

His work is certainly impressive. Perhaps MGM or another of our Hawaii based UU'ers can get the skinny on what is going on.

If he didn't answer, maybe that's the answer right there. I wouldn't beg someone to take my money if they didn't want it.

Freak,

I can only go by what the owners' of two separate, long-time music shops in Hawaii told me (and they both carried/carry (old stock) G-Strings.) Derek closed shop on Oahu and moved to the Big Island. He is only fulfilling his remaining custom orders. He is not making production ukes anymore. Current old stock is being sold without warranty as the company has officially closed.

I would be interested to know which shops told you he is still filling orders.

Would love to know as well. I LOVE my Gstring I bought from Nuprin, and would love to have another. Great uke, sweet appointments. I plan on replacing the tuners w/Pegheds (the planetary geared, retro looking tuners).

His work is certainly impressive. Perhaps MGM or another of our Hawaii based UU'ers can get the skinny on what is going on.

Larry's on Kauai still had a few G-Strings left. You might contact them if you want another one.

Myself, I would rather stick with a company that will be able to do warranty work on my uke.

I have personally never played one but people who I have great respect for as players have said G-Strings were hit and miss. The customs were always great but the production ukes were very inconsistent.

Two of his ex-employees are making custom ukes on their own, Ana'ole and T.D. You might consider picking up one of those instead.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Freak,

I can only go by what the owners' of two separate, long-time music shops in Hawaii told me (and they both carried/carry (old stock) G-Strings.) Derek closed shop on Oahu and moved to the Big Island. He is only fulfilling his remaining custom orders. He is not making production ukes anymore. Current old stock is being sold without warranty as the company has officially closed.

I would be interested to know which shops told you he is still filling orders.

Ronnie, do you know which shops might have that "current stock" for sale? And whether they do internet sales & shipping to CONUS?

Ronnie, do you know which shops might have that "current stock" for sale? And whether they do internet sales & shipping to CONUS?

Gmoney, there's like eight G-Strings for sale on this website. lol. Go to the homepage under "Shop" and click on ukuleles.

Still has stock:
Bounty Music
Larry's
Rockin' Robin Guitars and Music (says they have more on order, but are waiting for him to get his new shop up and running)
Ukulele Academy has 1 Tenor left (was told GString has "downsized")

Another thing is the G-String website says "Online Ukulele Sales Coming Soon."

Still has stock:
Bounty Music
Larry's
Rockin' Robin Guitars and Music (says they have more on order, but are waiting for him to get his new shop up and running)
Ukulele Academy has 1 Tenor left (was told GString has "downsized")

Another thing is the G-String website says "Online Ukulele Sales Coming Soon."

That note about the online ukulele sales coming soon has been up there for 2 years. I emailed the company about a custom order 2 years ago and i havent gotten a reply.

Top Bottom