How do you humidify?

UKESTAR

Reaction score
What method are you currently using to humidify your uke if any? What is best? I live in San Diego...is it necessary here?

We have a video and article coming up next month that will teach you how to build your own uke case humidifier.

We have a video and article coming up next month that will teach you how to build your own uke case humidifier.

The humidifier itself.....or the entire case that can hold like 4 ukes??
Thanks Rayan..

nice, i like DIY stuff haha, even though i dont get around to do much.

The humidifier itself.....or the entire case that can hold like 4 ukes??
Thanks Rayan..

Just how to make a humidifier. That would be sweet to rig up a macguyver uke case though.

Humidifier case?

Just how to make a humidifier. That would be sweet to rig up a macguyver uke case though.

"Macguyver Uke Cases".....sounds like a business name to me..hahah. Actually, I was telling Nuker that I have a book case cabinet that I might convert and make weather tight and create uke holders inside so I can regulate the humidity. I get sick of always having to open the hard case for each uke...it would just be more convenient this way too....

You ever heard of anything like this?

I have a book case with doors on it. I was thinking of converting it to a uke storage cabinet. It might be a fun project? There is not much information about this sort of idea on the net? Here is an interesting article on humidity for ukes etc...

Check it out:

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf

hmmm. this idea reminds me of something i saw in a liquor store last night. there was a cabinet with glass front doors. inside were cigars. none were individually cased. so i examined the cabinet, and turns out the whole thing was a humidor. looked something like this...
url
mother2.jpg

i cant remember what the optimal humidity was for cigars (which reminds me that i need to check my humidor... my cubans are probably all dried out by now), but there must be a site on a DIY humidor cabinet like the one i saw. and there must be humidifiers and hygrometers designed for something with that much inner volume. by the looks of the one i saw last night, if you ripped out all the shelves from inside, and installed some string swing wall hooks, it could easily house and display two tenor sized ukes.

cant wait to see what you come up with.

dont scare me!!

Sorry...just trying to help. Humidity it much higher in warm areas with moisture, such as Hawaii or the tropics anywhere. Look into getting at least a Herco humidifier for about $10 for your uke case.

In addition to the Herco, you may want to check out Planet Waves' Humidipak:

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?id=7

They're supposed to be pretty cool as the add or remove humidity in the case as needed.

Personally, I just use a Herco when I'm traveling for the weekend. At home, all my acoustic instruments are kept in one room (out of their cases). I keep the room closed with a humidifier set to 45%.

man, all this is making me think.

i just leave my instruments up hanging on the wall, basically on display. but mostly because they are easy to access when i wanna play... which is almost at any given moment while i am at home. and they are right next to a main door that goes to the back yard.

my room, where i keep all my instruments, fluctuates in temperature, since its winter. so its about 60-65* when im not home, and gets to about 70-72* at night while im asleep.

should i be concerned?

There's this article about humidifying ukes that could be of interest to people living in dry climates.

Oops, I didn't realize someone already posted that article.:p

Regarding humidity, I think the threat is real if you live in a low humidity climate. I just brought a Koa Works tenor back to Minnesota from Hawaii and within 2 weeks the bridge started lifting despite my efforts to keep it humidified. The ambiant humidity indoors in the winter here is about 25% and I keep it in the case most of the time, which is humidified to about 40%. Of course, I think a factory made uke is going to be more resistant to extreme climates, but it's still good to keep an eye on the climate the intruments are in and try to keep it in the "happy zone".

i just checked out and wales is normally 80% humidity! i had no idea!!

better get one of those do-dads then....

Top Bottom