PDA

View Full Version : How do you humidify?

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 01:01 PM
What method are you currently using to humidify your uke if any? What is best? I live in San Diego...is it necessary here?

NukeDOC
01-27-2008, 01:30 PM
good question. ive been wondering that myself. but wasnt going to worry too much about it until i acquired a custom uke.

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a book case with doors on it. I was thinking of converting it to a uke storage cabinet. It might be a fun project? There is not much information about this sort of idea on the net? Here is an interesting article on humidity for ukes etc...

Check it out:

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf

deadeye
01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
its so cold in the uk i dont think i have to worry about it

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
its so cold in the uk i dont think i have to worry about it

Technically cold air does not hold moisture like warm air. In many cases, cold areas can be a big problem for wood instruments.

rayan
01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
We have a video and article coming up next month that will teach you how to build your own uke case humidifier.

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
We have a video and article coming up next month that will teach you how to build your own uke case humidifier.

The humidifier itself.....or the entire case that can hold like 4 ukes??
Thanks Rayan..

tripl3thr33
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM

nice, i like DIY stuff haha, even though i dont get around to do much.

rayan
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
The humidifier itself.....or the entire case that can hold like 4 ukes??
Thanks Rayan..

Just how to make a humidifier. That would be sweet to rig up a macguyver uke case though.

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Just how to make a humidifier. That would be sweet to rig up a macguyver uke case though.

"Macguyver Uke Cases".....sounds like a business name to me..hahah. Actually, I was telling Nuker that I have a book case cabinet that I might convert and make weather tight and create uke holders inside so I can regulate the humidity. I get sick of always having to open the hard case for each uke...it would just be more convenient this way too....

You ever heard of anything like this?

NukeDOC
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a book case with doors on it. I was thinking of converting it to a uke storage cabinet. It might be a fun project? There is not much information about this sort of idea on the net? Here is an interesting article on humidity for ukes etc...

Check it out:

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf

hmmm. this idea reminds me of something i saw in a liquor store last night. there was a cabinet with glass front doors. inside were cigars. none were individually cased. so i examined the cabinet, and turns out the whole thing was a humidor. looked something like this...
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.cigargroup.com/gallery/mother1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNG_N8bT3fGTVQ0KAYRGTBeSiawPFQhttp://www.cigargroup.com/gallery/mother2.jpg
i cant remember what the optimal humidity was for cigars (which reminds me that i need to check my humidor... my cubans are probably all dried out by now), but there must be a site on a DIY humidor cabinet like the one i saw. and there must be humidifiers and hygrometers designed for something with that much inner volume. by the looks of the one i saw last night, if you ripped out all the shelves from inside, and installed some string swing (http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/ACC/CC01.jpg) wall hooks, it could easily house and display two tenor sized ukes.

cant wait to see what you come up with.

deadeye
01-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Technically cold air does not hold moisture like warm air. In many cases, cold areas can be a big problem for wood instruments.

dont scare me!!

UKESTAR
01-28-2008, 04:54 AM
dont scare me!!

Sorry...just trying to help. Humidity it much higher in warm areas with moisture, such as Hawaii or the tropics anywhere. Look into getting at least a Herco humidifier for about $10 for your uke case.

uber_goober
01-28-2008, 06:19 AM
In addition to the Herco, you may want to check out Planet Waves' Humidipak:

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?id=7

They're supposed to be pretty cool as the add or remove humidity in the case as needed.

Personally, I just use a Herco when I'm traveling for the weekend. At home, all my acoustic instruments are kept in one room (out of their cases). I keep the room closed with a humidifier set to 45%.

NukeDOC
01-28-2008, 06:37 AM
man, all this is making me think.

i just leave my instruments up hanging on the wall, basically on display. but mostly because they are easy to access when i wanna play... which is almost at any given moment while i am at home. and they are right next to a main door that goes to the back yard.

my room, where i keep all my instruments, fluctuates in temperature, since its winter. so its about 60-65* when im not home, and gets to about 70-72* at night while im asleep.

should i be concerned?

GX9901
01-28-2008, 06:41 AM
There's this article (http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf)about humidifying ukes that could be of interest to people living in dry climates.

NukeDOC
01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
There's this article (http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf)about humidifying ukes that could be of interest to people living in dry climates.

thats the same article that ukestar posted. hehe.

GX9901
01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Oops, I didn't realize someone already posted that article.:p

Regarding humidity, I think the threat is real if you live in a low humidity climate. I just brought a Koa Works tenor back to Minnesota from Hawaii and within 2 weeks the bridge started lifting despite my efforts to keep it humidified. The ambiant humidity indoors in the winter here is about 25% and I keep it in the case most of the time, which is humidified to about 40%. Of course, I think a factory made uke is going to be more resistant to extreme climates, but it's still good to keep an eye on the climate the intruments are in and try to keep it in the "happy zone".

deadeye
01-29-2008, 03:48 AM
i just checked out and wales is normally 80% humidity! i had no idea!!

better get one of those do-dads then....

UKESTAR
01-29-2008, 07:59 AM
i just checked out and wales is normally 80% humidity! i had no idea!!

better get one of those do-dads then....

Gel packs right? They soak up the extra humidity..

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-29-2008, 07:38 PM
haha yeah DIY ukulele projects.. sounds awesome

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
just reading through the thread again and i just leave mine on a stanf lieing around the house! LOL!

UKESTAR
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
SD ukes...hey, here is a link that explains the average humidity per month here in San Diego.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/climate/san-san-month.htm

NukeDOC
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
wow. i always thought that it was drier here in san diego. so then i guess we shouldnt be too worried about getting a humidor as we should about getting packs of silica gel to keep in our cases?

UKESTAR
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
SD ukes...hey, here is a link that explains the average humidity per month here in San Diego.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/climate/san-san-month.htm

Now the question is....what if there is say....a 6 day span in any given month where the RH gets out of whack...super high or super low? Is this enough to ruin your treasured uke??

UKESTAR
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
wow. i always thought that it was drier here in san diego. so then i guess we shouldnt be too worried about getting a humidor as we should about getting packs of silica gel to keep in our cases?

Hahah....wow this is confusing...ha. You bring up a good point with the gel packs too..

If I had to guess, I would say that maintaining a consistent/healthy RH is what matters most...hmm:eek:

NukeDOC
01-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Hahah....wow this is confusing...ha. You bring up a good point with the gel packs too..

If I had to guess, I would say that maintaining a consistent/healthy RH is what matters most...hmm:eek:

so i need to turn one of my closets into a big humidor and keep all my wood instruments in there for storage, maintaining a RH of 45-55%.

yeah. that'll really happen. hahaha.

UKESTAR
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
so i need to turn one of my closets into a big humidor and keep all my wood instruments in there for storage, maintaining a RH of 45-55%.

yeah. that'll really happen. hahaha.

Yeh...haha...I am just going to turn my entire condo into one giant humidor just to be safe..ahha. Gotta go...need to start sealing off all of the windows and doors...

What the heck?? We need answers...haha

NukeDOC
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeh...haha...I am just going to turn my entire condo into one giant humidor just to be safe..ahha. Gotta go...need to start sealing off all of the windows and doors...

What the heck?? We need answers...haha

seriously, though, once my brother moves out of the house, i was thinking about turning his room into my lounge/music room. is there such a thing as a hygrometer capable of monitoring the RH in a large bedroom? or would a room humidifier just regulate that automatically once i set its parameters?

UKESTAR
01-31-2008, 02:42 AM
seriously, though, once my brother moves out of the house, i was thinking about turning his room into my lounge/music room. is there such a thing as a hygrometer capable of monitoring the RH in a large bedroom? or would a room humidifier just regulate that automatically once i set its parameters?

I think I remember Guitar Center near Grossomt Center Mall having a humidified room for their really expensive guitars etc. I would call them maybe or go check it out.

A music room/lounge is a cool idea....don't think my skill level is high enough yet to do something like that yet though....haha

NukeDOC
01-31-2008, 08:16 AM
I think I remember Guitar Center near Grossomt Center Mall having a humidified room for their really expensive guitars etc. I would call them maybe or go check it out.

A music room/lounge is a cool idea....don't think my skill level is high enough yet to do something like that yet though....haha

yah i thought about that. floor area-wise is about the same as the room. but they have a much higher ceiling.

as far as whether im good enough for it... i know for sure im not. but when you're a do-it-yourself-er like me, having things set up correctly just makes future projects that much easier.

basically im looking at a tv/entertainment ctr on one end of the room with a couch and coffee table. and the computer, sound recording equipment, and all music instruments and gear on the other side of the room. basically, my getaway... and a nice place to entertain a "guest". haha

UKESTAR
01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
yah i thought about that. floor area-wise is about the same as the room. but they have a much higher ceiling.

as far as whether im good enough for it... i know for sure im not. but when you're a do-it-yourself-er like me, having things set up correctly just makes future projects that much easier.

basically im looking at a tv/entertainment ctr on one end of the room with a couch and coffee table. and the computer, sound recording equipment, and all music instruments and gear on the other side of the room. basically, my getaway... and a nice place to entertain a "guest". haha

That sounds like a cool idea for sure....the concept of having all that cool stuff in one room. I think I want to move ahead with the humidor cabinet idea.... It sounds trivial, but I get sick of digging into my uke cases every single time I want to play.....would be way nicer to open the cabinet and just grab the uke I feel like playing most...I am in the constant search of how to make things more user-friendly...always modifying and customizing....my girlfriend now calls it "customitis"....pretty funny.

UKESTAR
01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Some food for thought on the DIY humidified case for ukes. Below is based on a cigar humidor, but I assume they need to be fairly similar in function and build quality.

"There are a few important characteristics of effective cabinet humidors. For one, the humidor pump that maintains the constant humidity levels must be rated to support the cabinet humidor volume capacity. Another is that the shelves must be slotted in order to allow for a constant and consistent internal humidity level and disbursement of air volume. Finally, one should ensure that only high quality materials are used in the manufacturing of the cabinet humidor. One of the most popular woods is Spanish cedar wood for the internal compartment as this wood type best maintains humidity levels."

NukeDOC
01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
hahaha i was wondering if i was going to have to put up wood paneling on the walls to help maintain the humidity levels. i hope i dont really have to though.

no_surf_today
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I could just put it outside I suppose. We're at 70%, but with a 60% chance of rain it could get humidified to the max real quick.

This topic brings to mind a question about humidity concerns in the opposite direction from what I normally see posted. Should there be any concern for a wooden instrument being kept in a "higher" humidity than that in which it was born? I'm in the Galveston/Houston, Tx USA area. I've had a Canadian cedar top guitar which sounded like a wet noodle (exaggeration) during the sping and summer months but it tightened up sweetly during the dryer fall and winter. I kept it cased for one wet season and upon opening the case found the pick guard about six inches lower than the place it was supposed to be with a glue streak to mark it's decent. I see Kalaeloa Airport at 48% Humidity today. Is that normal? If so, are there any concerns for an instrument from Hawaii being kept at say 70 to 90 percent humidity? I'm not really worried for my little Chinese made learner that's on it's way, but someday there will be something of solid native Koa to take it's place.

andrew
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
This topic brings to mind a question about humidity concerns in the opposite direction from what I normally see posted. Should there be any concern for a wooden instrument being kept in a "higher" humidity than that in which it was born?

My understanding is most wood instruments should be stored at around 50% RH. Anything far from that in either direction is bad for the instrument.

Keonikapila
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I could just put it outside I suppose. We're at 70%, but with a 60% chance of rain it could get humidified to the max real quick.

This topic brings to mind a question about humidity concerns in the opposite direction from what I normally see posted. Should there be any concern for a wooden instrument being kept in a "higher" humidity than that in which it was born? I'm in the Galveston/Houston, Tx USA area. I've had a Canadian cedar top guitar which sounded like a wet noodle (exaggeration) during the sping and summer months but it tightened up sweetly during the dryer fall and winter. I kept it cased for one wet season and upon opening the case found the pick guard about six inches lower than the place it was supposed to be with a glue streak to mark it's decent. I see Kalaeloa Airport at 48% Humidity today. Is that normal? If so, are there any concerns for an instrument from Hawaii being kept at say 70 to 90 percent humidity? I'm not really worried for my little Chinese made learner that's on it's way, but someday there will be something of solid native Koa to take it's place.

Excessive humidity can cause a number of problems too...the wood can start to swell...that can throw off the intonation, the tone won't be as "crisp", the top can start to bow, some of your joints could start to separate as well. If you live someplace with high humidity, you might need to actually de-humidify your case

Best bet would be to get a recommendation from the manufacturer of your instrument. Most of the better shops have climate controlled buildings with constant humidity levels, so the regional humidity level wouldn't be the best way to determine your storage level...

bundy
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
i was wondering if i leave my uke around my room or wherever, can i leave a humidifier inside the uke?

VengefulTikiGod
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
i was wondering if i leave my uke around my room or wherever, can i leave a humidifier inside the uke?

2nded. I play it daily, I'd just as soon not have to keep it in the case all the time, only to remove it a few hours later.

UkEdman90
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I use a little cigar humidifier -$6 in my hard carying case for now. and i have a digital hygrometer i bought from PetsMart off all places for $10. I have them secured by velcro in my case. It stays a perfect 48% all the time. :nana:

freedive135
07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I have posted before about the avg. low humidity here in Denver and that the store I shop has a whole store RH system and the 2 cracked Koalana Ukuleles they have in the store. One of them had a 6 in crack down the back starting at the fretboard.

It scares me to spend the money on a high end Uke.

Plainsong
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
I have some ye olde Herco humidifiers and to be honest I don't even know if I'm using them right, although I followed the not-so-detailed instructions. The confusion is how much water to leave in the plastic case. But anyway, I have a couple of cheap in-case hygrogometers that I'm not even sure are accurate, but seem to be close enough. It's not such a problem in the summertime, it's winter I worry about.

But I have a little room humidifier, so that should help come October through May.