So six strings??

freedive135

Reaction score
and here I thought a Ukulele had 4 strings.

I went into a store today to see what Uke's they had (never been to this one) and they had alot of different Kala's.

Well I see this nice looking what I thought to be a Uke shaped Mandolin and I noticed it was missing a couple o'strings.

I picked it up and did a few of the strums I have learned on my 4 stringer in class and it really sounded nice.

So do you play a six string like a four and how would you pick which string to pick when finger picking????

Do I need one of these too?

It was real hard not to take the Maple Soprano to the counter but I figured I still hadn't told the other half I got the last one yet and 250.00 is harder to explain than 65.00.

Hey Freedive135,
Yep. Ukes come in 4, 6 and 8 string models. As far as the pickers choice, you mostly see them on 4 string models. There are a lot of uke players that also pick on 6 or even 8 strings. As far as playing goes, you play it like a 4 string. You just have to press down 2 strings compared to single strings on a 4 string uke. When it comes to picking, I'm sure another UU member will answer that for I am not a picker. I like the 6 or 8 string for the full sound when you strum.

Dino, you forgot to mention the 5 string . . . As far as picking goes and with the limited picking skills I have, I pick pick both. There are folks who can pick just one of the two.

Last edited:
I'm in one of those nasty debates with myself (you know, those lie-awake-at-night arguing with yourself...calling names, accusations, the weeping, the apologies, the making up...) over whether to buy a resonator uke or a six-string (tenors, of course). Both are about the same price.

I really like the sound of resonator ukes, but... the idea of the six strings intrigues me, it adds more complexity and challenge to playing, and adds another topic of conversation when I get started on describing ukes to the Great Unwashed.

So I'd really appreciate comments from six-string players about the value and joy of having one, to help convince my other side and end this string of sleepless nights.

Dino, you forgot to mention the 5 string . . . As far as picking goes and with the limited picking skills I have, I pick pick both. There are folks who can pick just one of the two.

Hey....you are right. I forgot about that unique one. I remember this guy who used to make a 5-string down Hekaha behind Cutter Ford in Aiea. His family used to run a pawn shop and he used to sell out of there. Boy....this was way before I really decided to start playing.

Top Bottom