Uke Strings

sailboats

Reaction score
This might be answered other threads but....

What strings to people prefer? I know that It can depend on the individual uke but there still has to be some strings that are, in general, better than others.

I really only have experience with two brands. Aquilas and D'Addario uke strings. local store dosent carry much for the uke.

I have not been a big fan of the D'Addario strings I have tried. (especially since they only have tenor strings with a wound 3rd string at the my local store...and I am not a big fan of the wound string.)

thoughts on some strings brands I should try? I am just going to order some online.

Hey sailboats - I hope you've got the strings you need already; it looks like youre in store for a foot+ of snow tonight! Good excuse to stay home and play though!

But seriously, I've really enjoyed trying a variety of strings. They greatly change the playability and sound of all my ukes.
A few recommendations from the few I've tried:
- southcoast strings: I was just PM-ing with another member about these. I quite like them - very balanced, not too mellow, not too bright. You've got to order them from the southcoast website, but shipping isn't too slow or too expensive (even to Canada!). And they make all sorts of different styles.
- some sort of flurocarbon: I've tried Worth Browns and Fremont Blacks. Both are good. The Worths a nice and warm sounding and comfy to play. The Fremonts are also warm but i find they lose volume and sustain quite significantly up past the 10th or 12th fret. Both are very durable. I ordered both from Elderly - also pretty good shipping to Canada but you've got to ask for alternatives if they give you an overly-high initial shipping quote.

There are hundreds of posts on strings in this forum. Try using the "search" feature. Though you may be overwhelmed at the amount of information and differing opinions.

For just one to get you started though, here is a 34 page thread on string differences. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38361-string-differences

And to answer your original question, I use Fremont Fluorocarbon Blacklines on my high g tuned uke, Worth clear lights and Worth clear browns on my pineapple uke, and Worth clear heavy hard low g (WCHLGHD) on my low g ukulele.

I have also tried Aquila, D'addario J54, D'addario J71, Savarez Alliance and Corum, Hilo, Kamaka, Guadalupe, Southcoast and Worths BT, CT and CM among others. The ones I settled on are just the ones that work best for my ears on my ukulele. Like everything else, string choice is subjective. I wish there was a magic answer, but it takes a bit (or in my case a LOT) of trial and error to find what is best for you.

Worth Browns on my Kala Baritone. Aquila DGBE set on my Kala Archtop Tenor, Aquila gCEA on my Soprano ukes.

I just bought 12 sets of strings from different companies.

Like everyone else said there's the strings that are marketed for the uke: Worth, D'addario's, Aquila, freemont etc.

But I just took some Aranjuez Classic Gold guitar strings off. They sounded really good.

I also bought some Augustine, Conde Hermanos, Savarez, D'addario flamenco set & composite set.

I just put some D'addario T2's on and they're stretching out now.

I say try whatever. Find High Tension GBE strings for the CEA and an Extra High E string to use as your G string.

Aloha Sailboats,
Different strings react differently on different ukes... and it depends on youur preference...if you like bright or warmer tones....type of uke or wood...reacts different....If I had a bright sounding ukulele, I would
look of thicker warmer sounding strings, I'd try some fleurocarbons...and if I had a warmer sounding uke and wanted a brighter sound...I'd try thinner guage type string...or Aquila...only way to really know is to try them....Good luck...MM Stan....

I have half a dozen ukes

I have tried half a dozen strings on those half dozen ukes

Eventually I found the strings that:

a) worked on that uke
b) sounded good to my style

The upshot was, that some ukes had different ukes, some had the same ukes, but importantly, I went with what sounded good to my ears.

Slightly costly process, but now I am settled for each uke, I now know exactly which strings to by for each.

Hey sailboats - I hope you've got the strings you need already; it looks like youre in store for a foot+ of snow tonight! Good excuse to stay home and play though!

Seems like my town was the only one who didn't get hit by the snow! I work for the local College and we have 13 campuses across Nova Scotia.... looks like my campus was the one of the few not to get closed today!

Dispite the lack of snow I did take the opportunity to play all night

Top Bottom