Should I sell my other ukes?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Fluke concert and, along with my Flea soprano, I almost feel like that's all I need. I'm pretty new to the uke game but ever since I got the Fluke I have no more raging UAS. I wonder if I should sell off some of my other ukes? I'm a college student, and money is always tight...

Or would I regret it?

Thoughts?

Interests change a lot in the Uke game. If you have some you loved, I wouldn't let em go because you will want em back. If you are so so on some, get rid of them. That's what I do.

If you need money, sell it. Just keep the ones you like. You can always buy another one next time!

I'm pretty new to the uke game but ever since I got the Fluke I have no more raging UAS.

UAS is notorious for hiding and waiting until you are most vulnerable...

:uhoh::uhoh::drool:

Interests change a lot in the Uke game. If you have some you loved, I wouldn't let em go because you will want em back. If you are so so on some, get rid of them. That's what I do.

Good point.
+1 for your avatar.

UAS is notorious for hiding and waiting until you are most vulnerable...

Wise words......I would trust this statement and plan accordingly.

If you do sell, save the money, you will need it again for sure!

I agree that your taste in ukuleles may change and you may be wishing you had one of your old ukes back.

Here's my story... I had a KoAloha soprano as my first ukulele that I got in March 2007. In May 2007, I bought a tenor ukulele. Over the next 3 years I would pick up the KoAloha now and then, but I just wasn't feeling it. But it was too nice a uke to just leave out as a beater. So it sat in the closet all that time. Last April I saw another tenor I wanted to buy, and decided to sell the KoAloha. I really didn't have to sell it in order to get the new tenor, but I used it to jusify spending money on a new ukulele. For me I got a ukulele I really like and gave up one I didn't really play. I probably would have regretted it if I just sold the KoAloha just to get rid of it. But if you really need the money...

John

I'm a college student and a hoarder. I say keep them. The exception is if you're going to be putting the money into something else that makes you happy. That's the reason that I've sold off a few of my underplayed instruments.

Ah J_Tay81,
As you say you're new to the uke game, as you get better so will your taste...but you will never forget your favorites who helped you along the way!!....Have Fun and Happy Strummings...MM Stan
All of us are searching for the "right one" .....once you find it, you'll know, which to let go!!!

Last edited:
I recently went through this myself, and got rid of many ukes (after all, all I need is one). What I did was put the so-so ones in the closet in their cases. After nearly a month, I realized I didn't miss them and had no desire to play them. That's when I knew I'd be fine without them. :) I'd say if you need the money, and don't see yourself missing them, then I'd go for it.

I agree with Nat. The tester is to see how often you play them. I say if you haven't picked one up in 3 months, you don't need them. As you go along the uke journey, you'll inevitably find more ukes that you'll want to buy, but cross that bridge when you come to it. I've sold off many, but still have a couple that are sentimental and therefore priceless. If this isn't a problem, sell them, use the money on more necessary financial demands and keep on strummin that fluke and flea, till such time as your fingers get itchy again for something new and fresh!!! :)

All really good bits of advice. I may try that trick where I keep some in the closet for awhile and see if I play them. That said, I'll probably always keep the Dolphin. It plays too well to let go of and it's a cheery bright yellow. I dig it. I was mostly considering the banjo ukulele and (maybe) the Ohana pineapple.

The banjo uke I find just sounds too harsh and I no longer have an interest in clawhammer style of play. And the Ohana is fine, but really, I tend to like a concert size (a new discovery for me).

When I was just married and about 22 or 23 back in 1980 I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom, Natural, with natural mahogany sides, a natural maple top, bindings, gold hardware. I needed rent money and sold it with a 100 watt 2 x 12 amp for $400. (I paid $545 for the guitar and case) I regret that but I needed rent money. A custom sells for $2,800+ now, Oh well, you got to eat.

If you need the money and aren't enjoying some of them, cut them loose. Remember you never see a hearse with a U-haul behind it.

I am also of the mind that what I don't use I sell. That goes for ukes and other instruments and things. Someone else will enjoy them.

It's only stuff. You will eventually get more stuff.

I am also of the mind that what I don't use I sell. That goes for ukes and other instruments and things. Someone else will enjoy them.

It's only stuff. You will eventually get more stuff.

hi EDW...and I for one am so glad mate that you live out that philosophy. That mya moe you sold me has become my most favorite uke and the one I reach for always. Thanks so much Ed!!!! :):):)

wait three months.

Top Bottom