OH LAWD.. I GOT to share this..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, many of you know my daughter sings and plays the guitar. She has really dove off deep into her guitar playing over the past year, and NOW is considering trying to get on with a guitar shop as a guitar tech. So, I have been tearing down and showing her some of the technical aspects of an electric guitar. So, now we both decided to find a old Gibson Les Paul body and neck, or an epi project or something like that, so we can build her, her own spec guitar. She'll be doing most the work, and myself just as a technical advisor more or less.

But get this.. I found a decent project Les Paul body (I thought). It had a crappy paint job on it which was the first concern. Someone that had any experience would not have done a sloppy finish on a decent guitar body. But, as I was asking him specific questions, he tells me this..

"When I painted it, I masked off the neck joint area so paint wouldn't get in there because I wanted to be sure it had a good clean surface so the neck would be properly grounded to the body when they were put together.. "

At this point, I could not do anything but a blank stare.. hahhah.. I walked away so I wouldn't get spit on a perfect stranger from laughing too hard..

Blimey! What was it made from - a Lightining Tree?

Assuming he removed the neck prior to painting the body he is correct. You don't want paint in the neck joint when you re-install the neck (especially if it's a set neck). Many people argue that it helps improve sustain and it is essential to get a good bond with the glue (set neck).

Assuming he removed the neck prior to painting the body he is correct. You don't want paint in the neck joint when you re-install the neck (especially if it's a set neck). Many people argue that it helps improve sustain and it is essential to get a good bond with the glue (set neck).

True, but it has nothing to do with grounding - there is no electricity flowing between neck and body unless maybe you're playing a gig on an industrial rooftop and have gotten tangled up in the high-voltage (10kv to 20kv) wires feeding the transformers!

John

True, but it has nothing to do with grounding - there is no electricity flowing between neck and body unless maybe you're playing a gig on an industrial rooftop and have gotten tangled up in the high-voltage (10kv to 20kv) wires feeding the transformers!

John

I know electricity doesn't flow throw the neck. I thought he was calling the bare wood to bare wood contact grounding - not in the electrical sense. The bare wood to bare wood creates a better bond to help improve sustain and create a stronger neck joint.

It sounds like the guy was a clueless if he was talking about electrical grounding. I guess I was giving him too much credit.

Top Bottom