PDA

View Full Version : Sentimental Regrets...

mm stan
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I sold a nice Kamaka Soprano white label...and now wish I didn't.....any of you sold a
ukulele you wish you kept.......

Honu
01-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the sellers remorse Stan. I almost went through the same problem. I had a craigslist buyer who was ready to buy a gold label soprano from me. I was regretting my decision but thankfully the buyer changed his mind the last minute. Needless to say I have not put my Ukulele on the market since then.

Uke Republic
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear that Stan. I'm happy with all I've sold:) There was one I wanted to keep but the light bill was due

Hippie Dribble
01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
g'day Stan.

Honestly, virtually every uke I've sold leaves a lingering kind of dull ache when I think about them. They always have personal memories attached to them and are so difficult to part with for that reason I guess. I've probably sold on nearly 20 ukuleles now I reckon and some I regret more than others...

I regret selling my pocket uke because my 6 year old son always reminds me of it and wishes he could have had it instead.

Also sold a few vintage ukes that were hard to part with. The two I probably regret most were a Cole Clark "ukelady" and most recently, a Mya Moe Koa concert...

but that's the thing when you're an obsessive/compulsive buyer too, sometimes you just gotta make up the cash somewhere and the decision to sell isn't so much a choice as a decision that gets made for you by default.

sailor
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
i've had terrible regret selling a certain car...haven't thought about it for a while. still hurts (i know it's just a car, but i'll never have this car back).

itsme
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I've never sold an instrument, can't quite bring myself to do that. I have three tenor ukes (mahogany, cedar and spruce), two handmade guitars, four mandolins, etc.

I suppose if it came down to "I have to sell this to buy that" or to pay my bills it'd be different.

bbycrts
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey Stan!

I've sold lots and lots! Since I live in a low-uke city I've ended up buying and selling/trading a lot of ukes, looking for the right feel and sound. I finally found it in Kanile'a.

My one regret has been selling a Tangi Manini. Just too cute - but my fingers just didn't want to work the itty bitty fretboard. I wish I'd tried a little harder with that little gem, though.

pdxuke
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Never that I've regretted, but came close: almost sold my Gibson Uke 1. That would have been a big mistake...

cletus
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd like to keep 'em all, but budget and talent constraints can merely justify the great ukes that I'm lucky enough to own.:love:

Plainsong
01-26-2011, 07:10 PM
My Koaloha soprano that some ukesters convinced me wasn't good at all.

Yeah.....

And my husband misses the Little Martin he got me one Christmas when I was still trying to do guitar.

experimentjon
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Every KoAloha I have ever sold. Soprano, Supersoprano, and Concert. The concert is probably the one I miss the most. But I needed the money to fund other things and wasn't going to sell any of my favorite KoAlohas...those are never getting sold...unless I upgrade to a nicer version of the same thing.

kissing
01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
My Risa concert Uke-stick, Kala Jazz Archtop tenor and the Ohana Vita.

Sorely missed.. but alas I don't have to funds nor the space in my collection to get them back.... not to mention the desire for other new ukes I haven't tried before..

Oh treachery... UAS >_<!

Pippin
01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I have had a few guitars over the years that I wish I still had and a few that didn't mean anything to me.

mm stan
01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the sellers remorse Stan. I almost went through the same problem. I had a craigslist buyer who was ready to buy a gold label soprano from me. I was regretting my decision but thankfully the buyer changed his mind the last minute. Needless to say I have not put my Ukulele on the market since then.

Thanks guy and gals....I feel empty now, yup sellers remorse...and it wasn't even about money...I thought that person needed it more than me.....I was mistaken.....sheesh!!

mm stan
01-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey Stan!

I've sold lots and lots! Since I live in a low-uke city I've ended up buying and selling/trading a lot of ukes, looking for the right feel and sound. I finally found it in Kanile'a.

My one regret has been selling a Tangi Manini. Just too cute - but my fingers just didn't want to work the itty bitty fretboard. I wish I'd tried a little harder with that little gem, though.
Aloha Jon,
Maybe I may not get mine back, but you have a chance to get a tangi mango manini...Ahnko Honu is selling in hawaii craigslist... http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/2173038213.html Good Luck, Stan

beergeek
01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Aloha Stan!

I've sold a few ukes that I wish I could have kept but no real remorse since my stable is pretty nice ;) I've had lots of gear. Out of all of it, I only regret selling 3 things. A custom Sunn amp, a '56 Les Paul Goldtop and a '69 Martin D-35. All sold when I was young and even more foolish than I am now ;)

fitncrafty
01-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Sorry my friend you are going through your remorse.. I can't say as I have sold any instruments and regret it.. The only one I would sell, no one would buy. It would be like selling a lemon..
Hang in there!

Tor
01-27-2011, 01:38 AM
I have never sold an instrument in my life. I haven't sold a car, either, come to think of it. I just use them up (the cars, that is). I can't really recall anything I've sold.. although I know the reason for it all is that I'm utterly without a gene to do business so selling would just be a list of bad deals.

I buy instead. Much more satisfying.

Doc_J
01-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I tend to remember mostly the good things about people and ukes. There certainly were plausible reasons why I sold the ukes I did, but I do occasionally wonder why I sold a few. No real regrets, as I wouldn't have the nice ukes I have now if I hadn't sold others.

dnewton2
01-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Every uke I have sold (both of them) have me feeling sad when I packed them up to be shipped. But I sold them because I did not favor the size. It is still sad at the time but I get over it pretty quickly.

Tudorp
01-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Hello my brudda Stan..

I've only sold one Uke. My very first one that wasn't very good. Since then, gave away a ton of em tho. But none I regret because they were bought or aquired to fix up and give to kids so no attachment to them other then getting to tinker with them.

But that said, over 35 or so years have sold countless guitars that I wish I had back. 2 that come to mind was a vintage Rickenbacker bass, and my very first guitar which was another bass. A vintage (even back in the mid 1970s it was old) Fender bass that was a mess, but it played and I banged on it for awhile. Sure wish I had that old vintage fender back. I sold it for $50 if my memory serves back in the mid 70s. No telling what that bass might be worth today. It's not because what it would be worth, but because it was my first guitar that I found my way with. And even at 14/15 years old, was my first instrument that I actually rebuilt with my own hands because I couldn't afford to buy a new bass, and bought that one in a brown paper grocery bad in pieces.

sukie
01-27-2011, 02:40 AM
After having loaned my KoAloha to a friend 3 months ago, he paid me for it last night. I did have a twinge of sadness when I put the money in my wallet. It was my first "nice" ukulele. I just know that I won't play it anymore so why keep it? I find I only need 3 ukuleles. My Moore Bettah, my Flea -- if I go on an airplane -- and my Lori's ukulele to use when I change strings on the MB.

Skitzic
01-27-2011, 03:04 AM
I don't regret any of my sales. Then again, I don't sell too much...I buy a lot more than I sell. If I think I may want to sell something, I sit with it for at least an hour before listing it anywhere...if there is the slightest possibility that I'll regret it later, I keep it.

I do have a love/hate relationship with a uke and a guitar right now. I go through these phases where I keep thinking this guitar is junk I need to upgrade! Then a few weeks later I wonder why I ever thought I wanted to sell it. It's not the guitar, it's just me being a moody musician. Sometimes it gets to the point where I do some research to see what I should sell it for, then ultimately I decide to keep it even if I upgrade because I'd only get like $100.

mm stan
01-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't regret any of my sales. Then again, I don't sell too much...I buy a lot more than I sell. If I think I may want to sell something, I sit with it for at least an hour before listing it anywhere...if there is the slightest possibility that I'll regret it later, I keep it.

I do have a love/hate relationship with a uke and a guitar right now. I go through these phases where I keep thinking this guitar is junk I need to upgrade! Then a few weeks later I wonder why I ever thought I wanted to sell it. It's not the guitar, it's just me being a moody musician. Sometimes it gets to the point where I do some research to see what I should sell it for, then ultimately I decide to keep it even if I upgrade because I'd only get like $100.

Aloha All,
I played it for a while before the buyer came over to buy it...it was a very sad time and I really enjoyed it...it reminds me of when loved ones passes away....I get this empty feeling inside and from time to time
think about it.. does this feeling get easier as time passes by, I don't know yet..but I'm kickiing my own butt about it now...sheesh!!

Sake1one
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Yah dude. I am seriously regretting one sale I had on craigslist. It was one of the first ukes I built from scratch. The action was too high, the frets were rough and the wood selection wasn't the best...but i miss it so much.

SailQwest
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you have seller's remorse, Stan.

I don't have even the slightest regret about any of the ukes I've sold. Part of it might be that living on a sailboat really restricts my space for acquiring "things." At this point, my husband has a strict "one in, one out" policy for ukuleles.

Several that we did not have space for, but couldn't bear to sell, are living with my SIL, who we converted from guitar to uke.

Miss Michele
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I would never sell my Lanikai (my baby)! I'm so sorry Stan! Even though I have never sold a uke, I have sold collectibles that I wish I still had. I feel ya!

Miss Michele
01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I sold a nice Kamaka Soprano white label...and now wish I didn't.....any of you sold a
ukulele you wish you kept.......

I still feel like a newbie asking this but, what's the deal with the labels? Are there certain ones that are better than the rest? Thanks :)

mm stan
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I still feel like a newbie asking this but, what's the deal with the labels? Are there certain ones that are better than the rest? Thanks :)
Aloha Miss Michele,
Kamaka white labels are just a way to dating when they were made in which time period...and yes in ukuleles in general, there are some that are definetly better than others and this was one of them for me...Thank you for the nice words...MM Stan

Hippie Dribble
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Aloha All,
I played it for a while before the buyer came over to buy it...it was a very sad time and I really enjoyed it...it reminds me of when loved ones passes away....I get this empty feeling inside and from time to time
think about it.. does this feeling get easier as time passes by, I don't know yet..but I'm kickiing my own butt about it now...sheesh!!

I say good for you Bruddah. I know you were putting the interests of a friend over and above your own desire to keep the uke, because you thought he would need it and get even more enjoyment out of it than you.

Good things will come to you my friend.

ksiegel
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Haven't sold any ukes (yet), but don't intend to. I do regret selling my 12-string guitar, and a lovely 3/4 size Aria 6-string when I was in College 30-something years ago.

And I regretted selling the '73 Triumph Tiger 750, but the neurosurgeon who fused my neck advised me not to ride anymore - he said the fire department was risky enough.

-Kurt

NatalieS
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I've acquired and eventually sold about 15 ukes, and I don't have regrets about any of them. There are certain aspects of a few that I miss, but not enough to want them back. I'm much less of a collector than I used to be, not just with ukes but other things as well. As long as I have one of something I want/need, the rest just seems excessive. I hope to goodness that UAS never strikes me again.

dkcrown
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
It is difficult for me to decide to sell one of my ukuleles, but after I have made the decision to sell, there is no looking back. I have sold six of my ukes and I belive that they have all gone to good homes.

joeybug
01-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Haven't sold any Ukes (don't plan to either, they all mean too much to me) But I do understand sellers remorse and I am sorry you're feeling that Stan, you're such a generous guy, like Eugene said, it'll come back to you in goodness!

*hugs*

Mim
01-28-2011, 03:03 AM
I am at a point where I am thinking of selling my Taylor Guitar for needs reasons. It is a 614 CE and georgeous. I may have to find a way to keep it though, because I know a day will probably come when I will surely regret it! But all I play now are my ukes, but if my kids end up being guitar players, I would love for them to play my Taylor!

mm stan
01-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and your thoughts...
I guess maybe doing a good thing and selling it to a person who will value it may pay off...
but it is fresh now, and I feel like it was a boneheaded decision.....just wish I don't feel
worse as the years go by!!! sheesh..
P.S. I had a chance to back out of it when I was selling it , because the buyer was
concerned about the price and wanted really cheap...last lost opportunity, I guess...