First Ukulele Decisions

xcstar1753

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to decide on a first ukulele. I've played a friend's Lanikai LU-11 soprano and was really unimpressed, so I'm thinking I want something with more to the sound and that's easier to finger, like a solid-topped concert or tenor.

I've been reading on these forums for weeks, trying to learn as much as possible, but I still have a bunch of questions:

1. After reading all about them, I still don't understand why the plastic Fleas and Flukes cost so much. Is it because they have to pay US labor?

2. From this forum, It seems like the best brands in the midrange are Kala, Flea/Fluke, Ohana, and Mainland. Is that an accurate assessment?

3. Could a used, solid-topped concert or tenor be found for $150?

Thank you for your help.

1. That's an interesting question and observation. I'm sure they'd be cheaper as asian imports but it's nice they are made in the USA.

2. All of the above plus Lanikai

3. You can actually get a brand new solid spruce top (with laminate back and sides) Lanikai or Kala for around $120 to $150. I have a concert, it's bright sounding and a really nice instrument.

From what I've read it seems like just ordering from Amazon or Sam Ash or Austin Bazaar or some other mass retailer (to get the prices you mention) might mean I get a uke that isn't set up well, with high action etc.

1. How much of a real problem is that? Do I just gamble on the cheaper price, or go with someone like MGM and pay more?

2. Are there other online shops that offer setup service that I could compare to MGM?

Thanks again.

I bought my first uke from Amazon and I've been having a blast with it. It doesn't have the best intonation and I do get some buzzing (probably mostly from poor technique). I'm considering having it professionally set up... but I'm not convinced that it will come back with any real difference.

I just ordered my second uke from MGM (it will be here tomorrow or the next day). It's solid wood and hopefully setup correctly, so I will be able to see what a properly setup uke sounds like.

I bought my Lanikai S-C from amazon and it was setup just like I like it. Low action out of the box. If it's not, however, you can sand the saddle yourself (really easy) or return it to amazon. They make returns super easy.

Also add Makai to your list, they are made in the same factory as Ohana and Mainland and are hard to beat for the price. I got my spruce top tenor from MGM and it's a great uke for the money.

...to learn as much as possible, but I still have a bunch of questions:

1. After reading all about them, I still don't understand why the plastic Fleas and Flukes cost so much. Is it because they have to pay US labor?
1) i dunno' they have a look and feel that can't be beat, sound like they are made in heaven. and the right amount of crunch, of course. plus they look real snazzy.

generaly you have 2 options you can either buy a cheapo uke and if you like playing the uke you upgrade and upgrade and side grade and all variations there-of

or you can buy the best uke you can afford and delay the first upgrade but after that you'll buy another uke because you want another size/tuning/wood and all combinations of that.

but if you get a kala spruce topped uke you'll be more than pleased I have the flame maple tenor wich is basicly the same as the spruce top mahogany laminate tenor the flamed maple only has a fancy fineer (and I love it!) and it's nice and loud (super bright with aquilas) and sounds balanced with worth brown tenors

Top Bottom