Ordered Lanikai LU21, then changed order to LU21C - mistake or not?

misty

Reaction score
So this is my first ukulele. I just introduced myself in the newbie forum. Anyway, I ordered a Lanikai LU21, after reading UkeHunt.com. I ordered it on eBay from a seller in my state with good reviews. I understand about setup problems etc.

But I looked at their listing and saw that for $30 more I could switch it for the LU21C. I looked on YouTube to try to judge the size difference and decided to go for it, after seeing small women playing concert size. I haggled down to only $20 more and changed the order.

Now I am worried I screwed up. Will it be hard to learn on? Will my hands be too small? Will it be hard to play a soprano if I want to?

I guess I just need reassurance! I think I got a good deal, the concert for $138 with a (supposedly $25) DVD thrown in for free. Keep in mind everything costs more in Oz!

I'm sure the concert will be fine for you. I'm a girl with stubby small fingers and I can play a tenor with a wide neck if I want to. I'm sure you'll be fine with the concert size, especially if someone has setup up the instrument nicely for you. Welcome to ukulele!

Thank you for the reassurance! I have a lot of trouble with guitar (the dreaded F Major) so I hope ukulele will fit my hands better!

No worries! Millions of girls with small hands manage to play guitar just fine, the neck is a million times wider (slight exaggeration lol) than a tenor uke lol. It's really just an issue of preference, I'm a guy with fairly long fingers and my preferred size is still the standard (soprano) size. Why? I love how easy it is to travel with, I enjoy the more traditional "boxy" sound it produces, and I have to admit.. there's something adorable about such a small instrument haha.. especially after playing guitar for 7 years. I'm sure that no matter what size you end up with you'll manage to get used to it, the key is practice of course. I hope you enjoy your new instrument! Good luck!

you totally made the right choice concert size has 20 frets instead of 12 which comes in handy. also the uke isnt that much bigger there is just a tad more room on the fretboard. i have an eleuke concert and a kala soprano and switching between is so easy i barely notice the difference. you no doubt made the right choice concert is AWESOME:)

Either one is a good choice. You're gonna love it!

And remember, it's not really a question of what size uke to buy as it is a question of what size uke to buy first. :)

JJ

I have an untested theory that often the one you start with/learn on is the one you love. Besides you are going to end up wanting at least one in both the soprano and concert sized anyway. Also I believe the Concert size is the most popular size so you can't go wrong.

Aloha Misty,
It boils down to personal preference...and the soprano has a traditional sound....and much different from the rest...I have been playing for a while and I went through all of them sizes(except the bambino)..you will
go through different stages as you get better and your taste may change...also you may decide which things you may like better and outweight things...like bright or rich, sound or playbility , comfort or sound etc.
Best thing to do is go into a music store and try them out before you decide....Good Luck and Happy Stummings.... MM Stan...

We all like different sizes, and sometimes they don't make sense. I like how we all have our favorite uke sizes. Me? I play a tenor because that's what the store had that day (honestly...) and that when I finally did get a chance with a different uke, I didn't care for it.

But what's funny to me is that I am a bass player primarily, and I find a wide spread of notes normal. When I play guitar, the notes feel too close together and my hands/fingers feel over-crowded. Yet when I play my tenor, I never feel that way, even though logically speaking, the notes are closer together on the tenor than the guitar. Weird, huh? :)

I like all three sizes but I tend to gravitate more towards concert and tenor because of the space. You'll be fine. You might actually like the concert size better!

I know everyone else has already written it, but I wanted to agree that you'll be fine with a concert. I've got pretty small hands too, and my first ukulele was a soprano, but I switched to concert very quickly. The extra space is actually really helpful when you're first learning. There's not a huge difference, but just enough to make it a bit easier to give your fingers enough space. Now I play soprano and enjoy that too, but still prefer my concert and tenor ukes. Enjoy!! :)

I have a concert and I have the opposit of you, I have large hands. The concer is a lot of fun to play and I can play it with no problems. In fact I even play my nephews soprano uke with no problems. Go for it, you are gonna luv it!!

Top Bottom