busking?

uke142464

Reaction score
Im saving up for a new ukulele and my parents and deach say that I could go down into my little town, stick my case out infront of me and let people give me tips, aka busk. anybody have any experience doing this, are there any laws about it, just any information would be nice:D

Way to go! I know from other forums that laws and ordinances about busking vary greatly from place to place.

My suggestion would be go ahead and do it. (It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.)

I also think that the fact that you're so young would mean greater lieniency if you are doing anything wrong. :D

Im saving up for a new ukulele and my parents and deach say that I could go down into my little town, stick my case out infront of me and let people give me tips, aka busk. anybody have any experience doing this, are there any laws about it, just any information would be nice:D

this one i can help you out with hahaha!

well... IN Sydney last year me and my friend were singing and he as playing guitar and i had my jumper on the floor and somebody put money in, it was like 70cents... so we put the umper there and all up we made like 30 something dollars.

no lie, a police came up and said use need a license when we were packing up.. etc etc... but he didnt give us a ticket, he just said not to do it again so we haven't.

but i dunno, america might be different - if u live there... but i say do it if the laws are different, its pretty fun and people are generous when your young haha

thats my story.

it depends, since its a small town you might not need a permit. This is a local law not national or state. Th best way to find out is call the 5-0 (not the 911 number), if you know cops arent d-bags then go a head and try it.

Howlin Hobbit does this all the time. He is king of the buskers ;). He will chime in tomorrow because he is out of pocket and computerless till Monday.

i've considered doing this plenty of times and am actually looking into it right now. i'll let you know about what i find since we're in the same area.

you might want to read how outrageous this one article is:
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2007/06/21/is-change-gonna-come

who knows if anyone else would get arrested.

If you don't have permission and you're out in front of a store or place of business, technically it is soliciting which isn't allowed. But, wal-mart is good option if you don't mind moving after ~30 min. My friends were kicked out of there ~7 times, each time by a different manager and never had the cops called.

I did this one time with my family bout 15 years ago, we all went to the "funzone" and just started playing some bluegrass. I think we made enough to buy us all icecream when we were done. But it was a lot of fun seeing people stop and enjoy the music.

i've considered doing this plenty of times and am actually looking into it right now. i'll let you know about what i find since we're in the same area.

you might want to read how outrageous this one article is:
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2007/06/21/is-change-gonna-come

who knows if anyone else would get arrested.

I was in practicing in Rittenhouse Square just the other day with no problems. this guy actually made Philly much more Busker friendly.

I agree that the best advice is just go out and do it and see what happens. Is there a big tourist area where you live? Try to be accommodating if a shopkeeper asks you to move.

I just saw that you're from Philly too. South St. or Chestnut St. are good spots. Also down stairs in the Suburban Station concourse is a very popular spot for buskers.

I was in practicing in Rittenhouse Square just the other day with no problems. this guy actually made Philly much more Busker friendly.

I agree that the best advice is just go out and do it and see what happens. Is there a big tourist area where you live? Try to be accommodating if a shopkeeper asks you to move.

not a tourist area but everyone that lives here is usually out and about downtown, we have a movie theatre, train station and bunch of resaurants so I think it'll be good for busking

tomorrow Im gonna head down, not expecting to get any money at all, stick my case out and just play for the heck of it, cause Ill either be playing in my house or there and here there is no chance of getting any money, so I might as well just play down there:nana:

tomorrow Im gonna head down, not expecting to get any money at all, stick my case out and just play for the heck of it, cause Ill either be playing in my house or there and here there is no chance of getting any money, so I might as well just play down there:nana:

Don't forget to add some 'seed' money. A hand full of coins throw in your case ahead of time so people know your intentions. and get someone to video too.

Where are you going?

i'd go keep ya company while you entertain the hell out of everyone but i've got other plans earlier in the day. keep me posted on when you go, i might be able to get myself out with my uke later

i'd go keep ya company while you entertain the hell out of everyone but i've got other plans earlier in the day. keep me posted on when you go, i might be able to get myself out with my uke later

well i dont really live in the city, I live in a little town about 20 mins away, I said philly because I didnt want anyone like deach coming and stalking me,
(just kidding deach I know you wouldn't do that:D)

Top Bottom