PDA

View Full Version : busking?

uke142464
07-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Im saving up for a new ukulele and my parents and deach say that I could go down into my little town, stick my case out infront of me and let people give me tips, aka busk. anybody have any experience doing this, are there any laws about it, just any information would be nice:D

SailQwest
07-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Way to go! I know from other forums that laws and ordinances about busking vary greatly from place to place.

My suggestion would be go ahead and do it. (It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.)

I also think that the fact that you're so young would mean greater lieniency if you are doing anything wrong. :D

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Im saving up for a new ukulele and my parents and deach say that I could go down into my little town, stick my case out infront of me and let people give me tips, aka busk. anybody have any experience doing this, are there any laws about it, just any information would be nice:D

this one i can help you out with hahaha!

well... IN Sydney last year me and my friend were singing and he as playing guitar and i had my jumper on the floor and somebody put money in, it was like 70cents... so we put the umper there and all up we made like 30 something dollars.

no lie, a police came up and said use need a license when we were packing up.. etc etc... but he didnt give us a ticket, he just said not to do it again so we haven't.

but i dunno, america might be different - if u live there... but i say do it if the laws are different, its pretty fun and people are generous when your young haha

thats my story.

h-drix
07-13-2008, 04:17 AM
it depends, since its a small town you might not need a permit. This is a local law not national or state. Th best way to find out is call the 5-0 (not the 911 number), if you know cops arent d-bags then go a head and try it.

Dominator
07-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Howlin Hobbit does this all the time. He is king of the buskers ;). He will chime in tomorrow because he is out of pocket and computerless till Monday.

cMejilla
07-13-2008, 06:03 AM

i've considered doing this plenty of times and am actually looking into it right now. i'll let you know about what i find since we're in the same area.

you might want to read how outrageous this one article is:
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2007/06/21/is-change-gonna-come

who knows if anyone else would get arrested.

pinchmips
07-13-2008, 06:14 AM
If you don't have permission and you're out in front of a store or place of business, technically it is soliciting which isn't allowed. But, wal-mart is good option if you don't mind moving after ~30 min. My friends were kicked out of there ~7 times, each time by a different manager and never had the cops called.

uke142464
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
i've considered doing this plenty of times and am actually looking into it right now. i'll let you know about what i find since we're in the same area.

thats a great article, I hate people who complain about people expressing themselves, bunch of dicks

Nurdaben
07-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I did this one time with my family bout 15 years ago, we all went to the "funzone" and just started playing some bluegrass. I think we made enough to buy us all icecream when we were done. But it was a lot of fun seeing people stop and enjoy the music.

SnakeOiler
07-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I was in practicing in Rittenhouse Square just the other day with no problems. this guy actually made Philly much more Busker friendly.

I agree that the best advice is just go out and do it and see what happens. Is there a big tourist area where you live? Try to be accommodating if a shopkeeper asks you to move.

SnakeOiler
07-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I just saw that you're from Philly too. South St. or Chestnut St. are good spots. Also down stairs in the Suburban Station concourse is a very popular spot for buskers.

uke142464
07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I was in practicing in Rittenhouse Square just the other day with no problems. this guy actually made Philly much more Busker friendly.

I agree that the best advice is just go out and do it and see what happens. Is there a big tourist area where you live? Try to be accommodating if a shopkeeper asks you to move.

not a tourist area but everyone that lives here is usually out and about downtown, we have a movie theatre, train station and bunch of resaurants so I think it'll be good for busking

h-drix
07-13-2008, 11:15 AM
if i do end up going to drexel next year (as in 2009) we should all busk and have a uke party.

uke142464
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
if i do end up going to drexel next year (as in 2009) we should all busk and have a uke party.

haha definitely

uke142464
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
tomorrow Im gonna head down, not expecting to get any money at all, stick my case out and just play for the heck of it, cause Ill either be playing in my house or there and here there is no chance of getting any money, so I might as well just play down there:nana:

deach
07-13-2008, 01:40 PM
tomorrow Im gonna head down, not expecting to get any money at all, stick my case out and just play for the heck of it, cause Ill either be playing in my house or there and here there is no chance of getting any money, so I might as well just play down there:nana:

Don't forget to add some 'seed' money. A hand full of coins throw in your case ahead of time so people know your intentions. and get someone to video too.

SnakeOiler
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Where are you going?

cMejilla
07-13-2008, 02:05 PM

i'd go keep ya company while you entertain the hell out of everyone but i've got other plans earlier in the day. keep me posted on when you go, i might be able to get myself out with my uke later

ke leo
07-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Go for it dude!

uke142464
07-13-2008, 02:39 PM
i'd go keep ya company while you entertain the hell out of everyone but i've got other plans earlier in the day. keep me posted on when you go, i might be able to get myself out with my uke later

well i dont really live in the city, I live in a little town about 20 mins away, I said philly because I didnt want anyone like deach coming and stalking me,
(just kidding deach I know you wouldn't do that:D)

h-drix
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't forget to add some 'seed' money. A hand full of coins throw in your case ahead of time so people know your intentions. and get someone to video too.

coins AND dollars, no one throws in dollars unless the already see one in there . also you'll be more lucky on Thursday-Saturday in the evenings, people are more cheerful thu more money. (experience from working with a tip jar)

uke142464
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
coins AND dollars, no one throws in dollars unless the already see one in there . also you'll be more lucky on Thursday-Saturday in the evenings, people are more cheerful thu more money. (experience from working with a tip jar)

haha, cool thanks

SuperSecretBETA
07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
thats a great article, I hate people who complain about people expressing themselves, bunch of dicks

"Hate" is a four-letter word... and so is "dick". :p

deach
07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
"Hate" is a four-letter word... and so is "dick". :p

So is "Beta" ....... :D

SuperSecretBETA
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM
So is "Beta" ....... :D

So is "deach".... wait. :(

Nelson
07-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Sorry to kill the "so is"
bit I did this at my university (William Paterson University)
and I got nothing.

I played for 3 hours.
Hell, I even tried with my friend on accordion and we still got nothin'.

h-drix
07-13-2008, 05:04 PM
is it in the city or on a campus. uni students (to my knowledge) are poor. so that could be a problem.

uke142464
07-13-2008, 05:06 PM
is it in the city or on a campus. uni students (to my knowledge) are poor. so that could be a problem.

I was just thinking that.. I doubt many college students have the extra money to tip a busker.

Nelson
07-13-2008, 05:20 PM
It's not a city, hell 75% of the students commute.
But not even a dime!
I threw my own money in to make me feel better everytime I looked.

Haha I know of the students plight...I AM one!

cMejilla
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
It's not a city, hell 75% of the students commute.
But not even a dime!
I threw my own money in to make me feel better everytime I looked.

Haha I know of the students plight...I AM one!

tell me about it. i'm only half way through college and im already scrounging around for dough.

KyleYankan
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey, cool, some Philly Uker's. I live 20 min south of philly, and went to Drexel U for a few years. There are alot of college students in 30th street, but mostly it's the travelling businessfolk there. I'd give it a try. I think working south street, or the different shopping districts might be a bit better though.

Bassukuguy
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Busking is a fun experience... last year my friend and i were goofing around learning diffrent songs together... we planned on going to warped tour the next day and we were a little short on money. so we diecided we would go to our local Festival "Ag Days" and play the five songs we knew, we made about 30 bucks and it was fun just to get a little gas money.

have fun doing it...

Boozelele
07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope you went today. Be sure and post the results. Im dying to know how you did. My guess is that you will do really well....

SnakeOiler
07-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey, cool, some Philly Uker's.

To totally change the subject, we should have a Philly get together. I know most of you seem to live in the suburbs, but we should try a group jam. Maybe at a coffee shop like MilkBoy or something.

davoomac
07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
you can also try making a creative sign like some of the homeless people I've seen. From what I've heard just going around with a sign and begging can get you alot of money. What more if you beg while playing ukulele!

when I went to pike's place in seattle there were TONS of people busking and they were making decent money. Hobbit said that in order to busk there you had to apply for a permit and that cost I think $15 a year or something? not bad at all.

SnakeOiler
07-14-2008, 02:23 AM
you can also try making a creative sign like some of the homeless people I've seen.

Will Uke for food?

uke142464
07-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Will Uke for food?

haaha
I hate this 10 character limit

uke142464
07-14-2008, 03:44 AM
To totally change the subject, we should have a Philly get together. I know most of you seem to live in the suburbs, but we should try a group jam. Maybe at a coffee shop like MilkBoy or something.

I was just thinking that myself:eek::D:D:D

deach
07-14-2008, 03:46 AM
I was just thinking that myself:eek::D:D:D

So are you going to try busking? Let me know a couple days ahead of time, I might be up for a road trip.

uke142464
07-14-2008, 03:49 AM
So are you going to try busking? Let me know a couple days ahead of time, I might be up for a road trip.

haha, where are you from? and I think if these clouds go away Ill head down in my little town later and sit on a bench singing acouple diddies

:music:

deach
07-14-2008, 03:56 AM
haha, where are you from? and I think if these clouds go away Ill head down in my little town later and sit on a bench singing acouple diddies

:music:

Virginia. but my brother lives in Philly. Good excuse to see him.

uke142464
07-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Virginia. but my brother lives in Philly. Good excuse to see him.

hehehe:p:D

uke142464
07-14-2008, 04:43 AM
I just went down scouted out a nice bench to sit on and im gonna head down pretty soon

uke142464
07-14-2008, 06:03 AM
allright, so I went down stck my case out with 2 bucks of seed money, and through the course of an hour made $4.52 of loose change
it was so fun, if I got 4 bucks in one hour on a monday, think about how much I could get being out there for 2 hours on a saturday
this is so exciting
and it helped me not be so nervous performing for people:music:

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
allright, so I went down stck my case out with 2 bucks of seed money, and through the course of an hour made $4.52 of loose change
it was so fun, if I got 4 bucks in one hour on a monday, think about how much I could get being out there for 2 hours on a saturday
this is so exciting

hahaha =] sounds fun

saturday will make it from $4 an hour to $14 per hour... thats mad

deach
07-14-2008, 06:13 AM
this is so exciting

Congrats! That's so cool. Once word gets around, you'll have a regular crowd showing up.

uke142464
07-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Congrats! That's so cool. Once word gets around, you'll have a regular crowd showing up.

i think im gona go back this afternoon

SailQwest
07-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Congratulations!

deach
07-14-2008, 06:31 AM
once you have a regular crowd built up, you have to think merchandising. DumDork t-shirts and cds!!!!!!!

uke142464
07-14-2008, 06:31 AM
its funny, you can tell who has good "spirits", and who has bad ones, good spirited people come buy and say something like "good for you" and the bad spirited people just walk by without making eye contact or go to the other side of the street so that they dont have to feel guilty about not giving a little change:D its funny

uke142464
07-14-2008, 06:32 AM
once you have a regular crowd built up, you have to think merchandising. DumDork t-shirts and cds!!!!!!!

hahaha, nah. but I am gonna stick a little sign up that says I do lessons

russ_buss
07-14-2008, 06:42 AM
congrats on your recent experience. must have been a thrill to get out there.

uke142464
07-14-2008, 06:53 AM
congrats on your recent experience. must have been a thrill to get out there.

haha, definitely, when I was going down there I was thinking "I cant believe im actually doing this"

sukie
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Way to go! Sounds like you had fun. Keep us posted.

P.S. If he shows up -- take a picture of Deach for us, willya?

uke142464
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Way to go! Sounds like you had fun. Keep us posted.

P.S. If he shows up -- take a picture of Deach for us, willya?
haha, Ive always wondered what he looks like.....:D

deach
07-14-2008, 07:51 AM
haha, Ive always wondered what he looks like.....:D

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Boozelele
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2840
Deach, I didnt read the whole thread but surely someone brought up the resemblance between you and the Tony character on the pizza box...surely....ok, maybe halfway between "The Rock" and Tony.....;)

deach
07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Deach, I didnt read the whole thread but surely someone brought up the resemblance between you and the Tony character on the pizza box...surely....ok, maybe halfway between "The Rock" and Tony.....;)

lol .

jjsdad
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
haha, definitely, when I was going down there I was thinking "I cant believe im actually doing this"

Oh NO!! We've created a monster!! :D

BTW, I just had my first real public performance this weekend at the Chit-Chat Cafe in Pacifica. A co-worker of my wife plays there on Sundays so we went to watch his "band". They had their jar filled with some coins and dollar bills, too. My wife mentioned that I'm into Ukulele and I happened to have it in the car. So, they asked if I would join them. I sat with them for a few songs and totally sucked... but, it was an experience. I did manage to strum along since I've played guitar before, so I could just watch the guitar fingering and quickly translate that to ukulele. Well, that's completely off topic...

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
i never realized how much u looked like the rock haha =]

uke142464
07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
i never realized how much u looked like the rock haha =]

yea, I mean they even put a picture of you on the rock's website
what a bunch of idiots:p

sukie
07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I realize we have gotten totally OT, but I really am intrigued with what Deach looks like. But Uke142464, keep busking. I admire you for doing it.

deach
07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I realize we have gotten totally OT, but I really am intrigued with what Deach looks like. But Uke142464, keep busking. I admire you for doing it.

hmmmmm, intrigued, I guess that's better than repulsed.

RON<>VA
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
hmmmmm, intrigued, I guess that's better than repulsed.

And all along I thought your avatar pic was you in your cross-dressing mode.:)

jjsdad
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
i think im gona go back this afternoon

uke142464, did you ever go back? Please let us know how you're doing.

Plainsong
07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I think I look like one of those not-so-nice people you mentioned. I'm usually in a hurry, and I don't like being in the city anyway, and I never have change on me because I always use bank cards for everything.

But in my head I'm thinking "Wow, that's awesome!" True story. There might be a few like that in your town as well.

Let us know how it goes and if da Fuzz gives you any grief. :D

rclifford13
07-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Whenever I busk (melbourne, australia), it's usually fine to do it without a permit. although the best places to busk (city, markets, etc.) you need a permit as I have been kicked out before... just a warning. its heaps of fun though..

uke142464
07-18-2008, 04:47 AM
uke142464, did you ever go back? Please let us know how you're doing.

i went back a couple times unsuccessfully, I think I just got lucky, but I'm gonna do it tomorrow and tomorrow night/dinner time ish, near the pubs, try to catch people in good spirits:nana:

KyleYankan
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
i went back a couple times unsuccessfully, I think I just got lucky, but I'm gonna do it tomorrow and tomorrow night/dinner time ish, near the pubs, try to catch people in good spirits:nana:

Ha, give me two months before I'm in and out of the pubs regularly. I'm pretty sure anytime a ukulelelist (sp?) sees another busking, it's an automatic change-tosser.

Howlin Hobbit
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
...I never have change on me because I always use bank cards for everything.

So, give 'em paper money.

It's like I always say when I busk... "No applause please, just throw money. And remember, paper money doesn't leave those nasty bruises."

ojbro
07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Whenever I busk (melbourne, australia), it's usually fine to do it without a permit. although the best places to busk (city, markets, etc.) you need a permit as I have been kicked out before... just a warning. its heaps of fun though..

im just gettin into the uke and ive already gone busking once with my friend on guitar and we made 30 bucks in 2 hours on a thursday afternoon.

know any good spots in melbourne or how much a permit for the city costs cos i was thinking of goin to get a permit fairly soon.

rclifford13
07-20-2008, 03:06 AM
yeah its $50 per 6 months or something like that. apply to your local council.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-20-2008, 03:34 AM
if you want to busk for a lot of $

go to Sydney, seriously... about 1million people will walk past you in 1 lunch hour and they just drop change they got from lunch...

i see people there all the time with atleast 200 different coins... a lot are still gold