Andaman Padauk

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just got four lovely tenor sets of this incredibly rare timber. Just like Rio to bend and will make some lovely Negra. Now extinct as an Amdaman specie since the islands were devasted in the hurricane season a couple of years ago - 80% deforested. When my computer comes back from the veteranarian's I'll post some pics - vermillion with black straks, oozes oild when you hand bend.

It troubles me about the wood going extinct but at the same time it pleases me that some of it will be made into fine instruments by a master Luthier. I do love the tap tone on paduak and I'm betting an instrument made from it sounds brilliant. Unfortunately the one board I've purchased was cracker dry and had spots in it that cracked every time I tried to bend it. Can't wait to see the resulting instruments, I'm drooling already.

Vic

Andaman is so not like African - it is like a red Brazilian Rosewood. Here, have a look :)
DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

My teacher used Padauk to build a harp guitar last year. I'm not sure what kind of padauk it is, but it is beautiful wood.
AlCarruth_sh04.jpg

That is beautiful wood. The ukes will be stunning. Thanks for posting.

Looks even better in real life, such a rich red colour. The sapling strip on the back looks lovely too :)

Can't wait until it's finished, but it's a few months away :(

I bought some African variety last week... it arrived this morning..I hav'nt decided what to do with it yet :confused:...Maybe I'll make a few uke's for "Manchester United fans"..
Or I could slice it up into a Zillion pieces and sell them as "Pen Blanks" to Wood turners:D.
PICT0002.jpg

:)Hey Pete! you've finished work early today...or are you "out in sympathy" with the Egyptians?.
I'll cut a sample off and see how it bends first...(I'll try tenor size for a start)

I just spent my afternoon sorting through about 500 bf. of Andaman Padouk. This was from a friend who purchased this from a retired wood broker, the remains of his stash. It was all 'blow down' from right after the hurricane. Sorting through this pile was like being 'a kid in the candy store' .. it is really pretty. The new owner of the pile likes the flatsawn stuff, so I took about 50bf of the QS , ribbony, with some almost, to slightly curly stuff, and a a little really nice curly wood. This is 5/4 lumber. The color is amazing! I never had a taste for the stuff, had worked with African Padouk a little bit, before finishing an uke in Pete's shop made from his Andaman stash. The African Padouk I have worked with is mostly a consistent orange red. This pile I went through today was amazing for the intricate subtleties of the color, and full on chatoyant, curly ribbon grain. Deep red with lots of different shades and tones, highlights. I know this is not the most popular uke wood, but the tenor that Pete just finished in this wood is really nice!, and it is what opened my eyes to this wood. Funny how I heard 'Andaman Padouk', and a big pile of it turns up.. If anyone really wants a set, I am open to trades. Possible trades would be for POC, Adirondack Spruce, German Spruce, anything really fun, some nice Mango, etc. oh, I would really love a set of nice curly Honduras Mahogany........ The boards are up to 11" wide, so there are are a few absolutely amazing guitar sets (curly ribbon QS) None of these boards are outside of 15 degrees off vertical. This is more Padouk than I need, though a couple boards will go to turntables. It is dumping rain right now, or I would shoot a pic. I think the rain will stop sometime early next week, ( though the sun will probably reappear in about 6 months....) When the weather dries out I will post a pic.

Seriously pretty wood... ( the common African Padouk that I have seen in recent years I find pretty boring)

After some research, I think I need to dig a little deeper.. Andaman Padouk seems to be almost impossible to find. The story I heard of this pile sounds correct, and this Padouk looks really, really nice compared to any I have seen. I have a board of African Padouk here too, the grain structure looks different. I see a date on one of the boards, 1995. A friends father is the current pres. of the International Wood Collectors Society, I think a sample will be sent to him. And as well, a speak with the importer of this wood, as I think I can track him down. I think if this is really Andaman, it is pretty special stuff. It is gorgeous, regardless. I see no Andaman for sale anywhere on the net, and very little info available. I see a Beneteau Baritone guitar, supposedly of Andaman. This stuff is nicer than that by a good margin.

At this point... an unconfirmed pile of pretty wood...

Anyone here know anything about Padouk?

Last edited:
The grain structure and appearance of Andaman is more like 'rosewood' with its variagations than African. It remains red when exposed to air. 85% of flora on the Island of Andaman was lost in a hurricane raging through the Indian ocean towards the latter end of the last century. There is no more of this stuff available commercially...

Hi Guys,

I did a write up on the pterocarpus family for musical instruments recently, there are differences between Andaman and African Paduak, which is more of a physical and working difference...

more info here:

African
Andaman

Hope this helps!

Tim, turning Manu fans into pen blanks is an excellent idea.

One of the finest guitars I ever made was padouk/Sitka, an OM. African padouk, no doubt, with a nice ribbon figure. It stayed red under the nitro very nicely. Decades ago I bought several sets of padouk from a dulcimer supplier that was ribbony and almost pink. It made superior instruments. I love padouk. I never hope to work with Andaman, which has been rare for a very long time. We don't get to experience every type of wood, but there is always something new to try. Good job scoring the Andaman, Pete.

Top Bottom