New Uke gig bags from Reunion Blues

Gmoney

Reaction score
These look interesting:

http://artisanguitars.com/reunion-blues-continental-concert-ukulele-gig-bag/

And a video showing a Fender Strat being thrown off the roof while protected w/the guitar version of the bag.

http://artisanguitars.com/videos/reunion-blues-continental-guitar-case-fender-strat-thrown-off-roof/

Disclaimer: These are trained professional bag tossers. Don't try this at home!

[not affiliated w/Artisan in any way, but plan on having them put a p/u in my KoAloha Super Concert soon]

Last edited:
I guess I just don't get it. An Oahu hard case is $25 less and darn near indestructible...

As for throwing things off the roof - that's not generally how instruments get damaged. Typically, "crush-proofedness" is the most important characteristic of a case if you're planning on traveling with the instrument.

I remember a couple of decades ago there was a contest for engineering students to build containers that could protect an egg thrown from a roof. It turned out it wasn't that diffult a task - one winning design accomplished it with a handful of rubber bands and popsicle sticks, as I recall. None of the winners would actually protect an egg from having a heavy suitcase placed on it, though!

Just my $.02,

John

I'd be interested if it wasnt for the backpack straps. Wearing a uke gig bag as a backpack looks ridiculous. My kingdom for a shoulder strap!

Really? I love my gig bag with backpack straps. I use it more often than any of my other cases. On the other hand I do agree that a gig bag has nowhere near the protection of a hard case.

Must be a local company- I too have thrown things off the roof of the Phoenix theater in Petaluma...it was a long time ago, but it certainly happened- Going to try and find them

I guess this serves more of a cheap Calton replacement for those who really cant replace their uke but need to bring it. I wonder though how many will buy this.

I'd be interested if it wasnt for the backpack straps. Wearing a uke gig bag as a backpack looks ridiculous. My kingdom for a shoulder strap!
I'm just the opposite. I love my bass gig bag with shoulder straps. It saves me an extra trip to the car several times a week! (Bass, pedal board, amp - two hands.)

John

That looks cool! I was torn between a Mono and a Reunion Blues guitar gig bag and ended up going with the money because I got a good deal. I will have to check out the Reunion Blues uke bag!

Artisan Guitars has updated photos on the site now & I'm going to look at them this weekend. I'm interested as a lighter but sturdy alternate when I do take something other than my current beater uke (Kala Mighty Uke) with me on trips. I have my LoPrinzi in a heavy black woven Uke Crazy cases & my KoAloha super concert is in a Oahu case - both heavier than needed for gigging (like I REALLY do that!), but would be nice to lighten the carry on a bit. I like the way the neck secures as well - unusual for a "gig bag".

http://artisanguitars.com/reunion-blues-continental-gig-bag-for-concert-ukulele/

The price is now $119.00 - would like to see one for my longnecked sopranos' as well...

I got to look closely at one of the Reunion Blues cases today at Artisan. Too bad that all they had was the Concert size or I would have definitely bought one (or two) for my tenor & super concert. They are MUCH lighter than the Oahu/Ko'olau cases I currently have these ukes in but really afford a great deal of protection to the instrument. Since I travel almost every week & at least one uke goes with me onboard (never checked), these cases would be just the ticket. I'll definitely be buying one or more of the tenor sized bags... now where can I find a concert uke to buy so I can buy a case for it! :)

Note, these are not "gig bags" in the pejorative sense roughly equivalent to carrying your uke around in a zip-lock bag. These are bags for traveling "gigging" musicians. I'd trust my uke in one of these as much as any hardshell case as long as I'm not expected to check it as luggage in the hold of a plane - which I just would never do.

Check these out! I would love to have one for my longneck pineapple, but Reunion Blues isn't making a soprano size yet - got to see how these do before they commit to the smaller size apparently.

It looks like all they make right now is concert cases. Have you seen any tenor cases online?

Top Bottom