PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele

DanielHulbert
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnI9Uy65CQ

Does anyone know any more information about this uke?

Derg
01-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, I hope it sounds better plugged in then it did in that video..

Zakulele
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
It's only a real chord if you have it tune.

Tudorp
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Looks like it's going to just break barely over $100. Listed for 85 Euros already.

Hmm.. I hadn't had a need for another uke.. but it's got me looking.. not healthy..

PedalFreak
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
It is a concert size. Includes a Gigbag.

Street Price is: $99

Here is the press info we received:

Real Les Paul Styling in a Ukulele! Long known for it's history of making great Les Paul guitars, Epiphone expands upon that knowledge and experience with the NEW Les Paul Acoustic/Electric ukulele outfit. Like a traditional Les Paul Standard, it features a solid Mahogany body combined with a AAA grade flame maple top for great tone and great looks. The Mahogany neck features a comfortable D-profile shape and is bolted onto the body with 4-recessed screws for rock-solid stability and ease of service. It's Rosewood fingerboard features a concert length 15" scale and 21 nickel/silver frets with a 16" fingerboard radius. Plug it In and Turn It Up! Unplugged, this Les Paul Uke has great natural acoustic tone and volume. But plug it in and it really comes alive. Equipped with a high-quality, piezo film pickup located under the saddle, both the natural tone of the strings as well as the sound of and the body are accurately captured and routed to it's durable all-metal, rim-mounted 1/4" output jack. Plug it into a PA System or amplifier and it sounds great! And loud too! Other Bonus Features! For accurate tuning stability, it features 14:1 geared machine heads. Unlike traditional "friction" tuners, these tuners have fine-tuning capability and won't slip. The new LP Uke comes with premium black nylon strings as well as a gigbag with accessory pocket for easy and safe transportation. Top it all off with a classic LP pickguard that not only looks cool but protects the beautiful flame Maple top as well and you've got a real Les Paul ukulele at an affordable price. Limited Lifetime Warranty. As with all Epiphone instruments, you can rest assured that your investment is protected with Epiphone's Limited Lifetime Warranty backed by Gibson Musical Instrument's 24/7/365 day Customer Service.

BTW: I've got 3 on order for our store :D ;)

experimentjon
01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh wow. I think it's really cool. $99 street really is not bad for a super cool uke with a pickup in it and geared tuners. I'm not digging the headstock though. New strings should fix it up.

mm stan
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I've always wondered about these niche type of instruments if they are playable and sound decent...with or without a amp..
I've had a mini guitar with 17 inch scale like this with humbuckers and the same shape with more controls...and even with
the thickest strings, they don't play so good....so bright... If you're not serious and just wanted to fool around they make
good conversation pieces......at least it was that way with my guitar..

Eavorclear
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Is there a release date on this sweet little thing?!
I love it!

harpdog
01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I guess just being an Epi makes a Les Paul shaped uke desirable for me. I'll be thinking about this one...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ElGuitana/Music%20Stuff/LesPauluke1.jpg

ukestang
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I'll buy one as soon as they become available, just cause.

Pippin
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd say, lose the pick-guard. The headstock is not going away... that's part of the Epi branding. Their "Masterbilt" series of ukes will amaze lots of people if they ever find one and give it a try.

fridaysleftlung
01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
it's cute, but it definitely didn't sound very good...

kissing
01-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I know what I'm getting!

sebi
01-28-2011, 01:14 AM
I have a Les Paul shaped Mahalo and just the fact that it looks like a Les Paul makes it real fun to play, besides that it sounds pretty good for a uke that costs less than $100. This one is actually an Epiphone Les Paul, which makes her very, very attractive to me. Oh man. I got no space for another uke right now :(

harpdog
01-28-2011, 03:05 AM
it's cute, but it definitely didn't sound very good...

It wasn't tuned well and the guy just sort of slopped at it - plus a noisy environment. I won't judge based on that sound sample.
But it sure looks cool!

Dane
01-28-2011, 07:37 AM
He could have put his fingers anywhere and said that it was a real chord..... He should probably learned how to tune it before he looked up any chords

GX9901
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Sheesh, I wish I hadn't seen this. I've owned a Kiwaya K-Wave in the past and have lusted after an Ernest La Paula, so this ukulele definitely has the shape I'm interested in. And since it is an Epiphone, it can legitimately call itself a Les Paul. If it's really under $100, I would say it's worth the money just for that regardless if it actually sounds good or not.

bt93
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I would like this uke so much more if it was solid bodied and did not have the soundhole.

ukestang
01-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I have an Epi Mandobird, the concept is extrodinary, the execution is so so. The neck is too skinny, the action is too high, and being a 4 string mandolin, the sound just isn't there. That said, would love to see a UkeBird, or UkeVee, or solid body UkePaul. However, if the Les Paul Uke is $100, I'll get one, and I like the pickguard. different on a Uke, and I like to play with a pick. Now that I think of it how about a UkeSG?

Chris Tarman
01-28-2011, 03:39 PM
It would look better if the pickguard was to scale.

octopusike
01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Got me one on the way!!!!!!!!!

ukeeku
01-29-2011, 05:01 AM
I was at the gibson booth and talked to that guy and he said I am sorry, we don't makes ukes any more, they do not sell. So I am a little miffed that this comes out. they put that up for the interview. It was not available for the others to see. My guess is that it went on sale after NAMM. GRRRRRRR

kissing
01-29-2011, 05:25 AM
I have an Epi Mandobird, the concept is extrodinary, the execution is so so. The neck is too skinny, the action is too high, and being a 4 string mandolin, the sound just isn't there. That said, would love to see a UkeBird, or UkeVee, or solid body UkePaul. However, if the Les Paul Uke is $100, I'll get one, and I like the pickguard. different on a Uke, and I like to play with a pick. Now that I think of it how about a UkeSG?

There is a mini flying V and mini Les paul (Pee-Wee and Pee-Vee) which are the size of ukes and tuned in the same pitch.
However, they're 6-stringed.

dnewton2
01-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Got me one on the way!!!!!!!!!

Where are they selling at?

PedalFreak
01-29-2011, 10:33 AM
My Gibson rep just told me that ETA on these is 45-60 days.

Got 3 on order for our shop :)

PhilUSAFRet
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
All this for $99.......at this price, expecting a Mahalo with a pick guard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhilUSAFRet
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Where'd yo get it Mike?

ukestang
02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, where do you get one, I'm willing to take a chance.

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I was at the gibson booth and talked to that guy and he said I am sorry, we don't makes ukes any more, they do not sell. So I am a little miffed that this comes out. they put that up for the interview. It was not available for the others to see. My guess is that it went on sale after NAMM. GRRRRRRR

Gibson guy at the booth may or may not even know about it. Epiphone is owned by Gibson, and has been since the 1950s, but, even being a division of Gibson, they are still separate companies. Besides that, if the Gibson guy was a purist Gibson guy, many of those guys/gals don't even reconize, or consider epiphone a Gibson. I am a member of a Les Paul forum, and owning both Epiphone, and a Gibson Les Paul, walk the line on the forum. The hard core Gibson guys snub their noses at the Epiphone guys, and the Epiphone guys think the Gibson guys are headstock snobs. So, sometimes, even being the same company don't play well together.. Personally, I don't care, because Gibson Les Pauls are awesome, BUT that said, so are the Epiphone Les Pauls at a 3rd the cost. Just sayin.. might be why he snubbed the question.

ksiegel
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Just went to my local Gibson/Epi shop, and ordered one. The owner wasn't aware of it, so I used his computer to go tot he Epiphone announcement on February 8, 2011.

they are ordering two - one for me, one for the shop.

Unless it is a massive piece of crap (which I doubt), it is a keeper for me. Even if it isn't really playable, I can spend $100-ish on a piece of wall art, once a year.

Goddess knows I certainly waste more than that on things I don't need...

-Kurt

Tudorp
02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Owning a couple Epi Les Pauls, and a Gibson Les Paul I can tell ya that Epis are really nice stuff... They make a well built, quality guitar. So I expect it from their Uke too.. Im on the list for one myself.

ksiegel
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Well, I've got an Epi SQ-180 I bought around 1991, and an ES-175 Reissue I got about 15 months ago, so I agree that the Epiphones are quality instruments.

But the SQ-180 cost me around $700 when I bought it, and the ES-175 was around $500 (Neither including the case); I recently tried a $99 Epiphone acoustic at a Guitar Center, and was appalled at the lack of tone, and lousy feel of the instrument. Sure, maybe it just needed some new strings and a set up, but it was horrid! Just stepping up another $100 in pricing, I saw a definite difference in quality and workmanship visually, and the tone was more what I expected.

So again, I'm not anticipating a phenomenal instrument for $100,but I do expect something playable, with a decent sound.

And it is a Les Paul model, after all...

-Kurt

Leodhas
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
How do I get one in Scotland? Does anyone know?

ksiegel
02-16-2011, 05:21 AM
The official release date is next month, I'm told. You'll need to get an Epi dealer to preorder/special order one for you.

- Kurt

beergeek
02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I got to have one just because it's an Epi Lester.....

PhilUSAFRet
02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Saw one on Sam Ash page, $99. I was thinking of getting the Mahalo....so much for that idea. I have heard the KWave LP on YouTube...sounds amazing. I agree with a previous poster. Using Eleuke electronics, they could have made a solid body that sounds great!

Ronnie Aloha
02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_Les%20Paul%20l%20AcousticElectric%20Conce rt%20Ukulele%20Outfit_-49948200

Paul Cote
02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
the one in the video had way different fret markers on it.

brucemoffatt
02-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Gosh darn you guys,

I've kept UAS well under control but I keep coming back to this thread. Really, I don't need one. No sir. BUT (and that's a big but, as they say in the classics) my daughter, who bought me my first ever uke last September, was promised one of her own by her girl friends for her birthday last December, and it never came. Some story about store out of stock, back order problems, wah wah wah, and my wife and I are thinking we will jump in and get her a uke just to extinguish the birthday present blues.

Now she would go nuts for one of these, and I'm sure she would let me play it every now and then too. Bless her little heart.

I'll keep my eyes open for the release and see how they measure up in the real world. As promise-ware they are very appealing, aren't they?

Tudorp
02-20-2011, 01:38 AM
the one in the video had way different fret markers on it.

Yeah, I noticed that prototype one had the classic Les Paul trapazoid markers. I thought that was way cool, but it looks like the actual retale unit wont have those. Im sure they decided against those to help keep cost down.

beergeek
02-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Uh-oh....no trapezoid markers? No dice.

PhilUSAFRet
02-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Just double checked specs to be sure it's concert size (the mahalo is a soprano) and discovered it has a PVC saddle. Nut too? Black strings. I think I'll order one, but have to also order new nut/saddle and some Aquila strings.

ksiegel
02-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Uh-oh....no trapezoid markers? No dice.

However, neither the Epiphone Les Paul Special nor Studio II have trapezoid markers...

-Kurt

Tudorp
02-20-2011, 03:38 AM
However, neither the Epiphone Les Paul Special nor Studio II have trapezoid markers...

-Kurt

It depends on the model. Many real Les Pauls also use dot, as well as other markers. The daughter's Goth model Les Paul has no markers exept on the 12th fret has the roman numual "XII" for the 12th. Also her Les Paul Special has perle dot markers and they both are real Les Pauls. Also my Gibson Les Paul Studio has perle dot markers. So, not all real Les Pauls have trapazoid markers. But, they would have been pretty cool on the Uke IMHO.

raecarter
02-20-2011, 04:33 AM
I can't seem too find any pre order in the uk :-( I hope there is because I've arranged through sale of my fiance to buy one

Paul Cote
02-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I noticed that prototype one had the classic Les Paul trapazoid markers. I thought that was way cool, but it looks like the actual retale unit wont have those. Im sure they decided against those to help keep cost down.

I dunno because Mahalos have that fretboard with the trapezoids. So I guess someone is making them in China.

Hey I have the soprano Mahalo and it sounds great. has a lot of frets too! 19 and then theres still another inch to the soundhole without fretboard. Interesting design. The only problem is the frets extend out too far on the edge of the fretboard. They go over the binding right to the edge of where your hand goes. and they are not simple to trim up ... its a lot of work to fix those frets up properly. I sorta hacked at it ... to do it right I think the frets need to be cut shorter idk.. still like the thing for 52 bucks (came with aquilas even) ... I guess the electric is like 85.

ksiegel
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
It depends on the model. Many real Les Pauls also use dot, as well as other markers. The daughter's Goth model Les Paul has no markers exept on the 12th fret has the roman numual "XII" for the 12th. Also her Les Paul Special has perle dot markers and they both are real Les Pauls. Also my Gibson Les Paul Studio has perle dot markers. So, not all real Les Pauls have trapazoid markers. But, they would have been pretty cool on the Uke IMHO.

Oh, I'm not complaining - my ES-175 reissue has trapezoid markers, and it is cool, but all of my other guitars are acoustic (well, the Ovation pinnacle is A/E), and have nothing but dot markers. It doesn't matter to me what kind of fret markers the Les Paul Ukulele has - I'm just waiting for it to come in.

One good thing is, my local dealer has a policy that they will match or beat any verifiable price for ANY big box/ mail order store (NOT eBay, which is fine.) If they can't beat the price, they match and give a $10 gift card.

So I got my Cordoba 20TM for $150, rather than the $160 it was available for everywhere else.

I told the owner that the Epiphone ukulele was estimated to have a $99 street price - he made sure the manager knew that I'd be paying less than that, although we have to wait until it actually ships before we know the actual price.

-Kurt

Tudorp
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
yep, but I was really hoping the uke would have trapazoid markers. Damn, I have 3 Les Pauls over here and none of them have trapazoids. I wanted at least ONE of them to have em.. lol..

PhilUSAFRet
02-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Better get one if you want it. May be like the Nighthawk blues guitar. Didn't sell, so one day they just discontinued them. Now try and get one!

Adie227
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
I have the mahalo les paul too, in sunburst. Im forever singing its praises, its great for the price.

I'd deffo consider getting one of these. I like the fact its concert size too. Cant find any dealers in the uk atm, I'll keep an eye out tho. :)

bazmaz
03-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Anybody got their hands on one yet - I'm tempted but would like to see a review first.

Tudorp
03-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Not yet. Im one of the first first on the first list, so I should get one pretty soon after they get in the dealers hands. I'll post up with a 1st impression when I get it though. I'm chompin at the bit myself.

raecarter
03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Does anyone have one yet? I need to hear an impartial review

octopusike
03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I got my name on one from my work with another gentleman. No shipment as of yet. Was told a guestament was around the middle of this month.....but that was a huge guess I was informed. Still waiting for sure.

ksiegel
03-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Just talked to the owner of the shop I ordered mine from... he still has no info on ship date.

-Kurt

Tudorp
03-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the update.

From what I have heard from several sources, Gibson/Epiphone has always been very tight lipped about release dates. They generally won't say a word about it until a day or so, or the day of release. I guess I can't blame them tho, because from their perspective, with no promises, you can't break any promises. I mean, if ya look at it this way, if they give a release date, and for some technical reason, it is delayed a few days or more, people get mad, and they would have to worry about damage control, and explaining themselves. This way, they don't have to deal with any of that. So, from a business standpoint, I can't blame them.. ;) I hope it is soon tho, because I want to get mine bought while I got the cash socked away. I wanna get my hands on one to see how they did.

telebob
05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Played the Epi Les Paul uke today at a local music shop: overall its an okay uke, and will likely be desired more for its looks than playability and sound. I didn't get to plug it in, but it has passive electronics with no volume or tone controls. Acoustically its warm but limpid, and not very loud. Perhaps some better strings would offer more punch. I found the intonation is a little off on the second and third frets and worsened as higher frets are fingered. The Epi LP uke is Very CooL looking and certainly will fulfill one's UAS needs.

bmoreuke
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
same here, i played one last week, and it was pretty quiet, real mellow. I wasnt able to plug it in either, so maybe soon someone can let us know how it sounds amplified. one thing i did notice was the weight, it was really heavy. its still cool though!

Jnobianchi
05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I played one yesterday at Sam Ash in NY. OK on sound, not great. Mellow, not loud as bob and bmore say above. Thick wood, heavy, neck is electric guitar like, but action is a little high and intonation is off - I think adjustable with a sanding of the saddle and deeper notches in the nuts. Definitely could have benefited from a compensated bridge.

Plugged in, it sounded a bit better, but the passive electronics really limits what you can do. I kept thinking - "Eh. not so hot," but then they quoted me the price: $99.

So it's not for me, not outstanding, but a cool looking OK sounding electric for $100 may float your boat. And I have to feel that with the action lowered, intonation fixed and better strings, it's probably well worth it.

ksiegel
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Tudorp has his, and I've got mine - he's done a setup, I haven't - I'm really lacking the confidence to try it. (I've got a Republic Concert that badly needs setup as well, and I'm afraid that's how I'd do it: Badly.)

The uke is heavy indeed - the body is a block of mahogany that has been routed out, and the top is laminated flamed maple. I haven't changed the strings yet- they are black nylon. Intonation is fine f or the first 3-4 frets, then startsgoing real bad. At 12, it is off by a 1/4 step, when compared to a real nice harmonic.

The gig bag is crap - single layer, not a speck of padding.

is it worth $99?

Hell, yes.

. -Kurt

Tudorp
05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
What Kurt said about the build. it is heavy and thick, but that is probably why it is so muddy at first. Personally I like it, because it seems to just be tough as nails, and will take allot of abuse making it a perfect travel uke. I thought was was pretty muddy unplugged out of the box myself as I stated in my review of it. But, I spent some time doing a proper set up, because out of the box, it isn't that impressive. I set my action, changed to Aquilas, and set intonation a bit better, and it isn't the loudest unplugged, but plays and sounds 100% better. Plugged in, this is a pretty cool uke. I ran it though tons of effects and had a blast with it. Everyday uke? not so much. Worth a bill, sure is.

crowsby
05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I had an opportunity to try it out at Guitar Center not too long ago, and I liked it. The narrow body plus the gloss finish made it easy to hold, the action was set up well, and the tone was excellent, if a bit quiet. The tone was, to me, better than anything else they had <$200.

I hate to say it, but I didn't even know that it had a pickup and output jack at the time. I suspect that GC might set up their floor model instruments, which could account for why I had a good experience with it, while others are saying the action is difficult etcetera.

I was sorely tempted by it, but I ended up going with a Mainland Concert instead for my first uke.

Daniel.Pohaku.Osorno
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
"It's a real chord. I looked it up!". Lol.

Huna
05-12-2011, 02:53 AM
I tried it yesterday at Guitar Center and found it attractive but heavy and didn't sound that great as an acoustic.

PedalFreak
05-12-2011, 04:30 AM
I suspect that GC might set up their floor model instruments, which could account for why I had a good experience with it, while others are saying the action is difficult etcetera.

I'd highly doubt that GC did a setup on a $100 instrument. Or even if they would have someone capable of doing a setup on it :D

flacoclef
05-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Just double checked specs to be sure it's concert size (the mahalo is a soprano) and discovered it has a PVC saddle. Nut too? Black strings. I think I'll order one, but have to also order new nut/saddle and some Aquila strings.

Which sounds better acoustically, the Mahalo or Epiphone?

Knotical
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
<snip> The new LP Uke comes with premium black nylon strings . . .<snip>

I just bought one of these as my first uke (never played one before so this is all new to me). I have a question about the "premium black nylon strings". Anyone know who makes these strings? Granted, these strings may be better than what comes on most ukes but I suspect that "premium" may be more of a marketing term than anything.

I got mine last night and tuned it and played around a bit (learning a few chords). It didn't sound bad but it seems like conventional wisdom says change the strings.

I know that there is a great deal of personal preference when it comes to strings. From what I can tell, Aquila Nylgut Concert Uke or Ko'olau 'Alohi Concert Uke strings have a good reputation. What do you guys like (or should I get one of each and see for myself)?

And please forgive the (next) newbie questions ~ how many sets of strings should I think about getting at a time? They don't seem like they would break that easy so how often do you change them out?

Tudorp
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Which sounds better acoustically, the Mahalo or Epiphone?

I never heard the Mahalo so I dont know. But I would imagine it would be the Mahalo, because that is the Epiphone's weak area IMHO. It is really cool,a nd fun plugged in, but unplugged, it isn't as impressive. Mine isn't too bad after a set up, did make it much better unplugged though.

Tudorp
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
yeah, the "premium" on anything out of the box to me, I take with a grain of salt. I think they are D'Addairo, but personally I didnt like them on the LP, I put on nylguts and liked it much better with the aquilas..

timmoranlive
07-16-2011, 09:11 AM
It's not a great instrument, but it's worth $99. Here's an acoustic clip of "All of Me" played on an Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele. It's a cool little axe, but it has it's pros and cons.
Pros: looks cool, fun to play, nice finish, inexpensive, sweet gig bag, decent tone.
Cons: nylon strings don't stay in tune when it's 100+degrees out, action is high as you move up the neck, tone pisses off the birds in my neighborhood.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSPJ7_FDe8

WhenDogsSing
07-16-2011, 09:55 AM
It's not a great instrument, but it's worth $99. Here's an acoustic clip of "All of Me" played on an Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele. It's a cool little axe, but it has it's pros and cons.
Pros: looks cool, fun to play, nice finish, inexpensive, sweet gig bag, decent tone.
Cons: nylon strings don't stay in tune when it's 100+degrees out, action is high as you move up the neck, tone pisses off the birds in my neighborhood.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSPJ7_FDe8

Nice playing...!!!

harpdog cc
07-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Nice.
I sanded down the saddle on mine yesterday. Action is improved.

ksiegel
07-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I've got two of them, both in the Heritage Cherry Sunburst - one is sitting in the box, untouched since I picked it up, and the other I sent to Tudorp for setup. He's sending it back, and if it arrives before Thursday, I'll compare the two of them, plugged and unplugged. If it arrives Thursday or afterward, I'll do a comparison toward the end of August, when I should have the time to do it.

-Kurt

Tudorp
07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Kurt, please let me know it got back to you safely. You will notice a difference immediatly. I just hope it is a positive one.. hahhah.. Oh yeah, I spray painted it black for ya too.. hehheh..

ksiegel
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Nothing yet, Tony. I checked the UPS Store today after work, and it hadn't shown up.
I'll check again tomorrow, again after work - about 4pm EDT.

Piikea
07-18-2011, 04:13 PM
He lost me at You-ka-lay le.......;-)

remrusty
07-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Hey guys,
Found this forum searching for reviews on this ukulele.
I really want one, but would love it so sound awesome, what would be the best way to fix innotation? I watched the posted video, but is there any other ways?

Russell

Tudorp
07-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Russell, I can not emphasize enough at how much a good set-up is needed for the Epi Les Paul uke. It is very marginal out of the box. I don't really do much about fixing the intonation, I just tear it down, and build it back as it should have been done in the 1st place. Re-set the neck, level & dress frets, toss the crap saddle and nut (probably the single most important part), build new nut and saddle from bone, Aquila strings (or preference). Intonation is fairly close after all that, and seems to fix itself for the most part. With the proper set up, these ukes are pretty decent players acoustically. Look for a thread of mine on here on the set up of the LP uke. PM me if you would like some more details.

ksiegel
07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Tudorp set mine up - i only had 5 minutes to play it, then had to pack and leave town for 3 weeks, so it is home, while I am not.

He put Aquila strings on it, and the volume doubled. The tone (acoustically) is sweet strings need to settle in after several days in transit, so when I get home, it will be ready to Uke & Roll! I'll plug it in, and test that baby out.

-Kurt

trifire
07-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I got the "Vintage Sunburst" Epi LP Concert uke. I took it to Gary Brawer in San Francisco, (awesome luthier in SF for stars such as Satriani, Metalica, Santana, Hagar etc.), pretty much right outta the box. Just like a Les Paul is heavy for an electric guitar, this IS heavy for a uke! But, it is a LES PAUL, solid, albeit routed out mahogany, beautiful to look at and built indeed like a tank. The finish is absolutely beautiful! But, as others have mentioned, and like most mass produced machined instruments, it needed some work. I had the nut and saddle replaced with bone, had the nut moved forward on the neck to make the intonation spot on and complete all the way across the fret board, a set of aquilas and added a strap button. Cost $200 for the work, + needed a better case than the nylon slip bag it comes with, bringing the total cost for my Epiphone Concert Les Paul Ukulele to approx. $350. Is it worth that you ask? In the immortal words of Stone Cold, HELL YEAH!!! :) Cause now, I have yet another awesome ax to create with, alongside my Lanikai Flame Maple Soprano uke and my Gibson LP guitar. I plugged it into an epiphone valve jr. and a marshall 4x12 on a clean tone and got a GREAT sound!!!! Ya know honestly, maybe I got lucky, but the humm was very minimal, and that was at a LOUD volume:) Bottom line, if you're thinking about getting one, do it, cause like alot of other cool products that come and go, it most likely will be discontinued, and it really won't take too much work to make it a solid player. Besides, you know as well as I do, a musician can NEVER have too many instruments:) (Especially super cool ukuleles!:) Aloha

Tudorp
07-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I love that color. Mine is the clownburst, but still a looker. Sounds great too.

I can't wait to get my new Epi Les paul done tho. I am going for a quilted maple top with the vintage sunburst finish. Building it out of an Epi Les Paul PeeWee... Will be a fun project for sure, and will be a true solid body, steel string uke. Will have two mini 4 pole "P-90"s, separate tone and volume controls just like a full sized LP, and a 3way switch just like the full sized LP. Certainly going to be a fun project. And will look great in my Les Paul collection next to my other Epis, and Gibsons... .

Loki
08-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I know it don't have the cool trapazoid markers, but i have been seeing sticker ones, dose anyone have any experiance with these (good or bad)

Pukulele Pete
08-13-2011, 01:46 AM
2684126842I've got stickers on my beater uke. They have been there a couple years and are doing fine

Tudorp
08-13-2011, 02:06 AM
I put the trap stickers on mine, but going to take them off. They are big, and had to be trimmed for the smaller uke LP, and they do sit on top of the fretboard in lue of being flush, so you can feel them. I do allot of note bending, and they get int he way of bending a note. But, if you do not bend, you shouldn't have a problem. I plan to do actual inlays on mine eventially tho..

kissing
08-13-2011, 04:18 AM
It is a pity, but I could live without the trapezoid markers on my Epi Les Paul.

I have a Risa Soprano Les Paul in Cherry sunburst coming in the mail, and this one has the inlay blocks :D

http://ukulele.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/396_0.jpg

Tudorp
08-13-2011, 05:36 AM
That is nice. I have always wanted one of those. Which is what inspired me to build my current project (The Les Paul Steel String Uke, can be seen in the Lutheir section). I have several Les Paul guitars, and have had others over the years I no longer have. but, I have never had one that had the traps. I don't know why, it's just all mine had the simple dot markers, which I love the simplicity of it. But, dangit, as long as I have been a Gibson, and a Les Paul dude, I just feel I need to have at least one with traps.. lol..