tuning goes off when I play chords.....

bahai1844

Reaction score
Good day all,

I'm glad to find this board as I have some questions about why my correctly tuned uke goes out of tune when I place my fingers on the fretboard. If I re-tune to make an 'F' chord sound good, for eg, the rest of the tuning is out. All comments appreciated.

"The world is but one country, and mankind it's citizens."

Sounds to me like your action is off. Try plucking a string open. Then on the twelft fret. I'f your action is off. you should see it quite well with an electronic tuner.
If that's the case. Then it's a matter of adjusting the action or string height if you will.

But a simpler first step for you would be to siimply change you strings to Aquila Nylguts. On many ukes that does it.

Adjusting the action is a much more involved process which should only be undertaken after some thourough research into the subject. Paulmjuk on the forum here knows a thing or two about this. Otherwise just pm me and ask..

My guess is that the nut is really high. this is common with many less expensive ukes because when they are made they don't want them to buzz.
I bet if you use bar chords like D7 everything is fine, if not that is a much larger issue, like the frets are not in the right place or the saddle is really off.
if the bar chords work then it is the nut.
Do you have a trusted luthier that could fix it? What brand and model is the uke?

Aloha Bahai1844,
I'd do a 12th fret intonation check and if so and it is still new and under warranty, call to return it...if you mess with it and change things, it will void the Warranty...Good Luck...MM Stan..
Do you have new strings by any chance or maybe you need new ones..

Last edited:
Does it get worse as you squeeze harder? If it does, its either a high nut or an issue with the frets.

If it doesnt do that too bad, its probably the action

In my beginner guide section on the blog (see signature below) I have posts about intonation, have a read, and any issues, email me.

That's a complex problem

- poor 'uke construction (i.e. fret placement or a warped neck)
- nut slots not deep enough - you're bending the strings excessively to fret them
- tall frets - you're bending the strings down between the frets, sharpening the note
- you could need new strings

..or a combination of the above.

Seems scary. Not that complicated. Follow Pauljmuk advice and visit his blog.

Hello all, thanks for all the advice. I will digest it all tomorrow, as it's past midnight now. I just wanted to say my uke might JUST be under warranty, but it's from the UK and I'm living in Slovakia. It's a Kala soprano travel uke, and I love it. Will reply agai tomrrow after trying the intonation test-thingy :)

Thanks

It's a Kala soprano travel uke, and I love it. Will reply agai tomrrow after trying the intonation test-thingy :)

Thanks

+1 on the high nut, then. This is by far the most common issue on most of the factory ukes. Not a big deal to fix if you have the knowledge, and not usually a problem if you buy from a dealer who sets up his or her ukes before shipping them.

John

Thanks, The strings were change to Aquila on purchase and the model is a Kala soprano travel uke.
I tried the 12 fret and the G and C string are both flat. I'm going to look at the other sggestions on the thread as well, before I decide what to do about it.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

The model is a Kala soprano travel uke. The D7 is fine. I had to look up what the 'nut' was, thankfully I had it right. :) I can look around in the local music store (although they do not sell ukes) and see if I can find someone.

Thanks again.

THanks for the advice and the fantastic blog! I think I will take my uke to the local music store and see if they can reccommend a luthier? Will a guitar repair person be able to fix it as well?

It's certainly possible for someone who knows what they're doing with a guitar to do the same on the uke. The question comes into play if firstly, they're actually any good at repairing guitars, and secondly, if they think your uke is a pointless toy. If they're competent and professional, then no probs. :)

Top Bottom