Should I buy/upgrade?

Genie88

Reaction score
Hi all!

Okay so I'm sure you all get asked this question all the time but I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should get a new ukulele.

Firstly I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago (I am still trying to make my awkward strumming sound like a song!), but I've practiced every day and the only way I can describe my current relationship w/ the ukulele is...addicted! Now, the ukulele I have was a gift from my parents a few years ago (they visited Hawaii). I haven't picked it up earlier b/c I got frustrated by trying to tune it (and had no clue what to do with it!). Well fortunately my friend picked it up a year ago and helped me tune it up and pointed me in the right direction.

Now onto my current ukulele. I don't know what quality it is...but it has no name on it or serial number...and the guy at the shop said it was made of pine wood. Also I don't know if its my technique (or lack thereof) but the C string sounds "off" and will buzz if I try to play a chord with it (and I find I have to press really hard on the string to prevent it from buzzing). I heard some of the ukulele's at the local music shop and I really like the sound of them!

My concerns are that I'm not really that great yet and I worry that I may be buying over my skill range and the ukulele I currently have, it's quality I'm unsure off...so it may be adequate for learning. So, What do you all think? Should I just take the plunge and get a new ukulele (I'm looking into a Lanikai...or should I just save and get a Mainland?)

Thanks and I look forward to be a frequent poster! (I have a lot of questions )

What brand is it? (the one you have currently)

Lanikai would be a very good uke to upgrade to. Check out MGM (Musicguymic on ebay) He sells great ukes, they will be properly set up and aquila strings so the uke will be ready to go!
Visit his site on ebay, he has many ukes in different price ranges!!

+1 Lanikai, or spend a bit less and get a well set up Makala

Get a ukulele that will inspire you to play more. It will be easy and fun, and you will get better faster. Buy what you can comfortably afford at this time. You will save money in the long run if you buy something nice now, rather than a string of so-so instruments. Don't worry if you're justified in buying above your skill level. Remember that junk ukuleles have very limited resale value, where nicer instruments retain their value better.

–Lori

I agree with Lori, buy the best instrument you can afford. One's skill level has nothing to do with how high quality a uke one should buy. I am always inspired by my KoAloha....and it is a higher end uke. Does my skill level justify a uke of that quality....maybe not, but I love it and make the best music I can on it, and it makes me feel lucky to have it.

Think about how much you have to spend and then ask here and people will gladly give suggestions in your price range! Good luck, enjoy and welcome to UU!

I agree with both Lori & RyanMFT. Buy the BEST ukulele that you can afford. Do this for the the reasons Lori & RyanMFT stated, you will be inspired to play and play better and like Lori stated, the resale price will be much greater for a higher end ukulele than a low end uke.
My first uke was a Kamaka. Per one's ability I should not have bought it, but it was a special buy and it is my favotite uke to play and I love playing it!

Aloha Genie88,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..I see you got some good information and advice already...Sorry to hear you have issues with your current ukulele....I believe it would be cheaper and better to buy another
ukulele, as others have already said, buy the best you can comfortably afford...you'll get less fustrated, learn quicker, it will sound better, play better, and will last longer and save you on upgrades in the future..You live in Oregan, there's a lot of music shops there, go in and try a few for which size and sound you like..first so you have an idea....and then decide...good Luck and happy strummings!! MM Stan

I had a similar issue in recently purchasing my first uke with no prior musical background. Yes, I could afford a nice, higher end ukulele, but was I worthy of playing such an instrument and would I be considered a poseur? Based on the input from many who have already chimed in on this thread (thanks again!), I purchased a KoAloha concert from MGM and couldn't be happier (probably because I don't know any better). But it really is a beautiful (looking and sounding) instrument and my motivation to learn is my desire to live up to the quality of the instrument.

So, what is your price range?

For what it's worth, I too just started playing the uke (very addicting), and I bought a Kala KA-TS because I really like the bright sound of the spruce. After playing for a couple of weeks and instantly knowing this is something I will continue, my Kala will now go to my wife and I'm going to order a Nalu HMG-TCE (way above my talent level, but I just love the way it looks and sounds). I don't need the electronics, but I can see myself hooking up to an amp and microphone in the privacy of my home and playing like a rock star when no one is around. How much are willing to pay, to make yourself happy?

Happy strumming,
-gyosh

(Climbs onto soapbox and turns bullhorn on)
Repeat after me. I...do...not...have...to...be..."good enough"...for...the...ukulele! The...ukulele...must...be...good...enough...for...me!
(Hands bullhorn to adoring fan and steps down from soapbox)

Seriously, buy the best instrument you can afford. If you are buying a "factory" instrument (Lanikai, Kala, etc.) buy from someone who will set it up properly. (Online, MGM or Mim, not Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, etc.). Locally - a music store with a good reputation and a tech who knows his way around ukes - this does NOT include stores like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.)

A good instrument will encourage you to play, you will practice more often, and you will become proficient much more quickly. A poor instrument will be an impediment at every turn. I would love to personally be able to throttle every eBay and craig's list seller who lists cheap junk as "perfect for beginners."

John

Thanks for all the advice and support guys!

I went and floated around some local music shops around town today and discovered that a lot of them are sold out or have been "cleared" out of ukuleles! Evidently the ukulele was a very popular Christmas gift around here! There was one shop that still had some Lanikai soprano ukulele's but I ended up finding another music store where they will do a "custom set up" (from what I gathered it had something to do with the distance of the strings from the neck/body of the ukulele)...only thing was they had some vintage ukulele's that were way out of my range. Good news is that they should be getting in a shipment of Lanikai's in about two weeks, so I'm going to (try to) wait till then and shop around in the meanwhile. Oh and my price range is around 150$ or so. I'd like to get a concert size as I really like the resonance on it a bit more than the soprano. Any suggestions for a good ukulele at the price? Thanks so much again folks! :)

I guess I'll just go ahead and agree with the others. There are two reasons for buying a cheap instrument: 1) you want to give it a try without breaking the bank; 2) you don't have much money to spend. If you have the money and you're pretty sure you'll want to stick with it, upgrade. A better instrument sounds better and is easier to play, meaning you'll play it more often and enjoy it when you do. There's nothing more frustrating than being stymied by your gear.

As a bonus, a better instrument will generally retain its value better than a cheapo, so even if you don't stick with it, it'll be better to sell. My $.02.

-Pete

Top Bottom