PDA

View Full Version : EleUke Poll: Would you buy a SWIRL?

eleukeusa
01-28-2011, 06:42 AM
http://mythidiot.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/eleuke_swirl.jpg
Hello all, remember a long time ago at Summer NAMM we had this crazy little idea to do a super limited run of 12 dipped "Swirl" ukes? Well, we thought that there was a pretty good response to that, so I want to know: if we did another limited run, would you buy one? They're very difficult to produce and a little expensive ($399ish), but we were thinking that we could do a pre-order situation through our dealers or something that get some Swirls into the hands of the UUers! So give me some idea of who would be interested by answering the poll above. Thanks guys, keep rockin'

Coconut Willie
01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
That is a cool looking uke!!!!

bazmaz
01-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Sorry, I think its hideous!

(just my two cents)

ukeeku
01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I am not a big fan of the "color" I think the gray is what makes it look weird. Love Eleukes, just not that pattern

Plainsong
01-28-2011, 07:01 AM
If I got to choose the color, blue and orange, it would be full of win.

fitncrafty
01-28-2011, 07:02 AM
I might buy a swirl, but don't really care for those colors.. so I guess it would depend on the colors...

bottlegreen
01-28-2011, 07:03 AM
It's a little "Jem and the Holograms" for me. Showtime, Synergy!

Ingrate
01-28-2011, 07:04 AM
I have an Eleuke, which I play more than any other 'uke. It's great, but color has nothing to do with it. If I wanted another Eleuke, I'd consider a Swirl, but only if there was no extra charge.

Lori
01-28-2011, 07:08 AM
I am not in the market right now for an Eleuke, but I think the swirl is appropriate on that uke. I would choose different colors if it were for me though. I would go for a blue/ green color scheme with maybe touches of one of the following ...yellow or orange or black.

–Lori

molokinirum
01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Sorry....not for me!!!

mm stan
01-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Didn't Suzukhammer so one of those with his arcylic paints...I think he used more orange....Where are you Frankie??

Mim
01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Yes! I would love this! Those are "my colors"! I got 2 in stock. They are awesome, for the right person!

widespread
01-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Go, Miami Dolphins! The team colors are aqua blue and orange. Sadly, it looks like it will be some time before the Dolphins are "full of win".

mds725
01-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I voted "no," but I don't think they're "dumb" (which was the only "no" option). I just got a rosewood eleuke (thanks again, Mim!) so I'm not in the market for an eleuke right now, but if I were, I think I'd want something other than the sample swirl pattern, like a swirl pattern with fewer colors and colors in the same part of the spectrum (like blue, green and yellow, or red, purple and blue, or red, orange and yellow) or perhaps something not swirly, like tie-dye. I'd recommend changing your poll, or starting a new poll, that could give you more accurate and useful feedback by offering more nuanced "no" options for people like me who are intrigued by the idea of a colorful eleuke but don't like the particular idea you've chosen.

eleukeusa
01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I love this place.

I voted "no," but I don't think they're "dumb" (which was the only "no" option). I just got a rosewood eleuke (thanks again, Mim!) so I'm not in the market for an eleuke right now, but if I were, I think I'd want something other than the sample swirl pattern, like a swirl pattern with fewer colors and colors in the same part of the spectrum (like blue, green and yellow, or red, purple and blue, or red, orange and yellow) or perhaps something not swirly, like tie-dye. I'd recommend changing your poll, or starting a new poll, that could give you more accurate and useful feedback by offering more nuanced "no" options for people like me who are intrigued by the idea of a colorful eleuke but don't like the particular idea you've chosen.
I probably should have put a less harsh "no" option and another one for "no, because I'm not in the market for a uke right now" ... This is very helpful information because we got a lot of really positive and enthusiastic feedback at Summer NAMM, but I couldn't tell whether those that were really excited represented a large group of Ukers or if the few that love this style just happen to be very enthusiastic people.

I'm gonna let this run for a few more days and make a call. Thanks again for the feedback guys. You Rock! :rock:

eleukeusa
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
It's a little "Jem and the Holograms" for me. Showtime, Synergy!
This comment reminded me of one of my designer's resent Halloween costumes... just thought I'd share...(she's the pink one in the middle)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v359/61/122/742315218/n742315218_1995580_5542.jpghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v359/61/122/742315218/n742315218_1995605_5620.jpg

Ukuleleblues
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm getting into the colors, I think it's very creative and different. I bet that is hard to make!!!

fitncrafty
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm getting into the colors, I think it's very creative and different. I bet that is hard to make!!!

I don't know how it would be with the uke's however, I have made swirl papers with my girl scouts, and it is a lot of fun and really not that hard.... I just don't think I would pay double the price for it.... Still dreaming of the eleuke.. darn new tax laws are holding me up....

mybote
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
No thank you. not for the price.

experimentjon
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the design. And for $400, I'd rather get better wood, better setup, upgraded electronics out of Eleuke than just a swirl dipped design.

Dane
01-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I like it, it's so funky. I like funky stuff. I like stuff that is different. If I had an extra 400 around, and I liked eleukes (I've never played one, so I can't say) I would def be interested in an acid-wash custom

SweetWaterBlue
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Not my thing, but if I saw one on the used market for a steal, I would buy it and either repaint it, or strip it for parts.

TCK
01-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I absolutely love it, and probably look at the one Mim has for sale daily...so I guess the price is what is stopping me. Well, that and the self-doubt. Not certain I could pull it off.
Hoping I am "truly outrageous"

Teek
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
The swirl pattern is fine, but the colors need to be chosen with a little more understanding of color theory. All warm or all cool colors would be easier on the eyes. I'm still seeing the afterimage of this one burned onto my retinas. If it had steel strings and a couple humbuckers I'd buy it in a heartbeat and just repaint it. :cool:

Dane
01-28-2011, 07:24 PM
The swirl pattern is fine, but the colors need to be chosen with a little more understanding of color theory. All warm or all cool colors would be easier on the eyes. I'm still seeing the afterimage of this one burned onto my retinas. If it had steel strings and a couple humbuckers I'd buy it in a heartbeat and just repaint it. :cool:

There's nothing wrong with the color arrangement, The color theory behind this is that it's supposed to be FUNKAY.

kissing
01-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I really do like it.
Just a few months ago, I was really REALLY tempted to get the one from Mims.

I really love electric ukes, and so having a limited edition, funky one like this would fit my collection so well.
But alas, the price tag made it very hard, and in the end, I opted for a metallic blue one instead.

Hippie Dribble
01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
no, I'm not a fan. Just not keen on the eleuke shapes. Looooove the colours though...if only you could squeeze some orange in there it'd look super awesome!!! :drool:

Ataraxia
01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't buy an EleUke in general, I honestly don't know what people see in them. I know they make some owners very happy, and I think that's great! I just think they're terrible, my opinion. I'd rather have an acoustic-electric if I needed to plug in that badly, or better yet.. just buy a pickup for a standard uke so there's no loss in resonance.. Win-Win :D.

kissing
01-29-2011, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't buy an EleUke in general, I honestly don't know what people see in them. I know they make some owners very happy, and I think that's great! I just think they're terrible, my opinion. I'd rather have an acoustic-electric if I needed to plug in that badly, or better yet.. just buy a pickup for a standard uke so there's no loss in resonance.. Win-Win :D.

The advantage of a solid-body electric ukulele is that there is no resonating body.
Acoustic electrics can never be as versatile as a solid body electric through amplification because you will get feedback issues.

Think about why the electric guitar is so successful in the music industry :)
Now imagine all those reasons, but applied to ukulele. That's the appeal of Eleukes.

bottlegreen
01-29-2011, 02:47 AM
This comment reminded me of one of my designer's resent Halloween costumes... just thought I'd share...
Truly, truly, truly outrageous! In all seriousness, if I had unlimited disposable income I'd get one. They are pretty dang hawt. I don't think they're dumb at all. I think it's cool that Eleuke is experimenting with some rockstar designs. I'd love a dark purple sparkly one, but it looks like metallic black is the Eleuke in my future.

Plainsong
01-29-2011, 03:24 AM

But various hues of blue and orange are awesome together, and one is ice cold and the other is bright hot, and yet it works.

Ataraxia
01-29-2011, 03:28 AM
The advantage of a solid-body electric ukulele is that there is no resonating body.
Acoustic electrics can never be as versatile as a solid body electric through amplification because you will get feedback issues.

Now imagine all those reasons, but applied to ukulele. That's the appeal of Eleukes.

I know, I've played guitar for 7 years... and I absolutely agree, acoustic-electrics are no replacement for a solid body axe. When it comes to ukuleles however, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I will always view the uke as an acoustic instrument.. the only reason I would ever want to plug in is for amplification. IMO one of the main reasons why ukuleles are so popular is their portability, I love being able to bring my soprano with me anywhere and play outside without amplification while still being able to hear it. If I had to lug an amp around then I'd just bring my guitar. Also, if I want distortion and effects then I'll still grab my electric guitar any day of the week. But hey, that's what makes the world turn.. I'm happy that they've found a market because it's honestly a nice idea for those who only play ukulele and want a solid body electric instrument for performances. I like the Les Paul uke models, I'd pick one up just for the novelty of it :D.

kissing
01-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Why of course since the ukulele is only good for its portability and novelty compared to serious instruments like guitar :) .

SweetWaterBlue
01-29-2011, 05:46 AM
For me, one of the advantages of a solid body uke would be that you can barely hear it when its not plugged into an amp. I often like to practice or even record late at night when my wife is trying to sleep. In those instances all my conventional bodied ukes with pickups are still too loud.

Ataraxia
01-29-2011, 06:40 AM
For me, one of the advantages of a solid body uke would be that you can barely hear it when its not plugged into an amp. I often like to practice or even record late at night when my wife is trying to sleep. In those instances all my conventional bodied ukes with pickups are still too loud.

Very good point, I do the same with my electric guitars.. you can just throw on some headphones and plug into the amp :). I'm spoiled, the apartment building my girlfriend and I live in has a library on B1 where I can play anytime of the night if I can't sleep haha. During the day I use it to record when it's vacant, nice and quiet!

Dane
01-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Acoustic electric doesn't have nearly as much versatility as a solid body. Electric has more sustain, especially with steel strings, and you can give electric acoustic-like properties.

Ataraxia
01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Exactly, you've just proven my point.. there's already an instrument to fill that gap, it's called electric guitar. You can only make ukuleles so big and start modifying them so much before they just become small guitars. You give it a solid body, throw steel strings on it... You'd be better off just buying a cheap electric guitar and slapping on a capo. More versatile. I play my ukulele more than my guitars precisely because of how different it sounds, as a soprano it's acoustic properties are quite different from any of my booming dreadnought guitars.. But with electric the body size doesn't matter so much since the sound comes from the electronics. The string tension and action are quite different on electric ukes though, do you prefer the way they play? I've only played one EleUke before, I wasn't really impressed honestly. I'm no traditionalist though, any uke I'd own would have geared tuners :D.

kissing
01-29-2011, 10:45 PM
To me, the identity of a ukulele comes from the scale length, neck dimensions and tunings.
The playability between an electric ukulele and a guitar is very different, which impacts playability and the different styles which will come from it (ie: fret spacing).

An electric guitar is not really a substitute for an electric ukulele. Having a capo does, in most cases, get in the way of playing. The fret feels different, the string distances feel different and portability is also an issue (on the issue of amps, a mini amp can often fit in an electric ukulele bag's side pocket).

The scale length also does impact sound. An electric guitar and an electric ukulele, though similar, sound different. The shorter scale gives the steel strings on a steel-stringed electric uke a brighter, faster attack than the longer scaled guitars which give the strings a different vibrating frequency upon the pickups.

I guess some people appreciate this difference, while others do not.
It seems to me you only appreciate your uke for the little high pitched things it can do acoustically that a guitar cannot. Some people simply don't find guitars their taste in musical instrument and prefer to take advantage of the electric pickups in the form of a uke.

Plainsong
01-29-2011, 10:49 PM
But you also forgot the mandolin while proving your point was proven. These instruments ALL SOUND AND FEEL DIFFERENT. That's why they deserve to exist. I can put a capo on a guitar and still not be able to play it because it's too frakking big for my fingers. Does that mean I don't "deserve" a solid body electric? Come on.

Ataraxia
01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Of course not, but the mandolin sounds terribly different from guitar though. Mandolins are also generally acoustic instruments and I would argue the same point if they were turned into small, distorted, solid body instruments much like the ukuleles which EleUke makes. I'm only discussing the differences for the interest of hearing other people's opinions (which I value). I've stated my preference for acoustic ukuleles not to start an argument, but to try to understand the reasons why people enjoy their solid-body ukes. I've heard some interesting and valid points. Very true, the scale length does make a huge difference in playability. For me, a capo has never gotten in the way of performing but I can certainly see wanting an electric version of your favorite instrument. Even with guitar I'm more of an acoustic player since I'm a singer/songwriter. I'd imagine that if I were more of an electric artist then I would really appreciate the EleUkes :), I just use a pickup when I perform live, and since I like to reproduce the natural acoustic sounds, feedback isn't really an issue for me. Thank you all for sharing your opinions and I'm sorry if I upset anyone. Mahalo!

Dane
01-30-2011, 07:22 AM
I like capos on my ukulele =)

eleukeusa
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
What a lively discussion! We really appreciate everyone's honest feedback.

I'm not going to weigh in on the "whether solid body ukes should exist" issue since my opinion has already been stated very well by others, but I would like to explain some other things brought up in this thread, namely:
Swirl Colors
A little history that I didn't give earlier. This particular limited run had a tie to the Steve Vai Ibanez Jem Universe (http://www.vai.com/Machines/ibanez.html) of 1990's fame. It was dipped in the same place by the same guy with the same color scheme as Vai's originals. Personally, I tend to agree with Teek that its a terribly assaulting color combination, but as a designer and illustrator, I always leave room for the reality that I do not represent everyone. There are quite a few people that have liked this color combo, I just wanted to see how many are here. My job is to give you what you want, so I thought I'd check with you all. These were extremely popular guitars of their time and that may be why we got such a good response at NAMM (most of the people there have sold guitars in their stores for years and immediately recognized the connection). Anywho, based on your feedback, I don't think we'll be doing very many of these in this color scheme. They are actually quite expensive to produce, so I can understand some hesitation with the price. I think we'll try a limited run on a pre-order situation with some different color combos, but we would have to get a minimum together to be able to do it. So there's some hope for those of you who are excited!

Well said.

I like capos on my ukulele =)
Funny thing, I spoke with several capo companies at Summer NAMM 2010 and a few of them are starting to wake up a little and recognize the ukulele. Winter NAMM 2011 I saw a few capos designed specifically for Ukes... Shub comes to mind and Paige was talking about it... I never made it to their booth.

eleukeusa
02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
In case anyone is interested in comparing colors... here's a link to a bunch of swirled Vai Jems (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=swirl+jem+universe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1676&bih=899)

gioconbrio
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I like the swirls. But I am also drawn to the most far out instrument designs in general. I prefer the look of the RH and Jazz series ukes, however, so it would be nice to offer the paint job for different bodies. As a suggestion, a black/white/gray swirl would look cool.

lordlogan
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
In case anyone is interested in comparing colors... here's a link to a bunch of swirled Vai Jems (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=swirl+jem+universe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1676&bih=899)

i really dig those swirls :D

Dane
02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Funny thing, I spoke with several capo companies at Summer NAMM 2010 and a few of them are starting to wake up a little and recognize the ukulele. Winter NAMM 2011 I saw a few capos designed specifically for Ukes... Shub comes to mind and Paige was talking about it... I never made it to their booth.

I just use a mando capo, unless they can come up with something super-innovative, I don't see a reason really to use a uke-specific one. I really only use mine for the first 2-3 frets though, sometimes 5 just for fun.

kissing
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
As much as I want one, I do believe it is a good idea to maintain a degree of excessiveness to the swirl designs.

For one, since they are rarer than the typical Eleuke, this adds to the value. What's the point of a 'limited edition' if it's as common as pebbles?
Another reason is that if it is decided for them to be a regular model, and the prices go down - wouldn't the people who bought them already feel a bit like kicking themselves in the head?

And of course indeed - since the manufacturing cost is also higher for the design.

mythidiot
02-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Why of course since the ukulele is only good for its portability and novelty compared to serious instruments like guitar :) .
I love this comment, so much sarcasm, so much insight into the thoughts of the typical guitar player.

TCK
02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.jemfest.com/misc/Simon/CK/bands/angle2.jpg
Now we are talking...

Dane
02-02-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.jemfest.com/misc/Simon/CK/bands/angle2.jpg
Now we are talking...

agreed.... on the patterning. I personally have never been a fan of handle-grips in guitar body designs.

bbycrts
02-03-2011, 05:58 AM
A swirl just isn't for me, but I don't think they're dumb! They're very cool, just not something I'm looking for. I voted "No, I think they're dumb" but I wish I could've just voted "It's cool, but not for me."

Ziegman5000
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
If Steve Vai played a Ukulele, he'd probably play this one. Definitely shares the color of his Jem models. His Jemini distortion pedal also has this swirl color on it just with more pink visible.

Mraz
02-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I think it's cool, but I think 400 is a little much just for the "swirl" effect.
If I could get a solid color eleuke for a cheaper price, then I definately would.

ichadwick
02-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I wanted a "maybe" option. The one you show doesn't turn my crank, but something in other colours might. Maybe a black & red. $400 is a tad pricey, though. $300 is more reasonable.

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 02:33 PM
I like it. I would like it MORE if it were different colors. I MIGHT buy one IF I was in the market for a solid body uke, and if I played one and liked it (I've never played an eleuke). So, I voted "Heck yes", but it's got provisions!

eleukeusa
02-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll see what I can do about a limited run of different colors at a lower price... I have no idea right now if that's possible, but it'll be a fun conversation to have anyway.

Mim
02-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll see what I can do about a limited run of different colors at a lower price... I have no idea right now if that's possible, but it'll be a fun conversation to have anyway.

Navy Blue and Orange ;) No particular reason of course ;)

ukeeku
02-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Navy Blue and Orange ;) No particular reason of course ;)

That would do well in IL
DA BEARS and U of I