I lost all of my Ukulele stuff!

Miss Michele

Reaction score
My laptop crashed last night! I had saved all of my chord charts, songbooks, etc. on that laptop. It's all gone! Of course, silly me, didn't have any back-ups of any kind. I am so mad at myself. I'm using a borrowed computer until I can get mine fixed. I knew earlier I should have copied all of my stuff on a disc.

*slaps self on forehead*

I guess it's time to start ALL over. :(

Have you ever lost anything ukulele related? Ever lost a uke? lol

Sorry to hear about the loss of all your ukulele stuff. I'm guessing that you found most of it on the Internet and that what you gort from the Internet is still out there, although there is the aggravation of reassembling it. I don't have a cyberbackup for the ukulele stuff I've downloaded (I'll have to make that a priority), but I've printed a lot of the sheet music I've downloaded and assembled it in a notebook. I've lost other stuff before due to hard drive issues, though, so I can sympathize. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computers, said recently that the only sure thing about computers and devices that use computers is that they will fail.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that this happened to you. But this is a good reminder to the rest of us to back up or print out any of our stuff that we find online. I know what I'll be doing this weekend :)

Oh No Michele...
I am so sorry to hear this!!! I have lots of stuff printed out and put into a notebook...yikes..reminds me my hard drive failed with my research paper on it, 2/3 of the way done and 3 days until it was due!! OUCH! Still I haven't backed up my computer.. think I would learn!

*slaps self on forehead too*~
Good luck gathering information.. there is definitely lots of good resources here. Maybe you will get lucky and they will be able to recover some of your links!

Sorry about the crash.....to heal the wound I suggest you buy a new uke as well as a new computer!

Sorry for the crash. Yes it is a reminder for the rest of us to back up important stuff not only on your hard drive but ALSO on an external hard drive.
Any consolation....you can have fun looking through the internet for stuff, you might find something new!!!!

AFTER MY LAST CRASH i BOUGHT AN EXTERNAL HD AND SOFTWARE [ACRONIS] . NOW IF I HAVE A CRASH I CAN REINSTALL AN EXACT COPY OF EVERYTHING. IT WAS A HARD LESSON, I LOST A LOT OF BUSINESS STUFF.

gads, been there done that.. Of course ya dont think about stuff like this until its too late. But I never store anything on my laptop. I have a file server set up in my home network where ALL files go, from music, pictures, documents, and other files from every computer in the house. It has a redundant back up drive so if one drive crashes, all the data is still safe on the redundant drive. So all I do is replace the crashed drive, and replicate all data back to it. Everything intact as if nothing ever crashed. Lost way too much over the years and it really sucks..

Oh, no! :( I've never had that happen with ukulele stuff (being new to this), but I did have a hard drive failure that resulted in the loss of some other sentimental stuff including some recordings, like my choir's entire performance of "Carmina Burana." The worst part there was that I thought I had everything backed up, but eventually realized I missed a few crucial folders. EEK!

I'm using a hard backup and online backups right now, and I think I prefer Dropbox to Box.net, which I just started messing with this week. Both are reasonably easy to use and provide the added benefit of being accessible wherever you are.

For as convenient as all this is, though, the stability of paper is hard to rival. Somebody just mentioned to me the other day that the Rosetta Stone is still perfectly decipherable while DVDs will probably be unreadable in a century.

Last edited:
Aloha Miss Michele,
Oh no, sorry to hear it happened to you too...I lost all mine too not too long ago...I still don't have an external hard drive...when will I ever learn....I hear that Norton now
has a new on line backup and they are offering me a free trial period...I should sign up for it....alot easier I suppose...not sure what it cost though....a disc is alot cheaper..

If you are interested, here is a great way to keep ukulele music. When I have a song I am working on, I print it out, punch holes in it, and put it in one of these:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60168204/three-ring-9-x-11-notebook-binder-mint

The great thing about these is that unlike a regular three ring binder they will lay flat on a table or music stand. It's also nice because you begin to accumulate a book full of the songs that you've mastered that you can just go to, or take with you to a uke group or something. I've lost so much stuff from various technology problems that I make sure to make a touchable copy of anything I really care about. Lost an address book on a stupid phone once...thankfully I still had a regular paper address book. Lost all of my family records on a computer program. Now I write stuff down for the kids on paper. Lost a bunch of photos on an old computer, now I make sure I order an actual physical print of photos that I think are particularly priceless. I predict that this generation will eventually be kind of a black hole. Our grandkids will have more evidence of the existence of OUR grandparents that still lived in a physical world than they will of us. Although maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I have some stuff like Ukulele chord formations and such, if you need help reassembling and some links bookmarked..Let me know if I can help at all, so sorry to hear about this Miss Michelle! Good Luck!

And yes, I have just backed up...I have a notebook which has 90% of my saved stuff printed out!

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you will find some new songs while recovering the old ones. Good luck.

Sometimes I look at the wall of books and albums I've gathered over the years and I think, " I should store this stuff on a computer." Then I hear stories of computers crashing and burning. I am truley sad to hear of your dilema. Maybe I'll just put another record of the turntable and record it to my reel to reel for safe keeping. Hey, I just found another book I forgot I had of old folk songs for ukulele. Maybe I'll just do the computer thing this weekend...................or not. It's hard to keep up with progress.

Top Bottom