cigar box uke build questions

eor

Reaction score
hi folks

have been thinking of building a cigar box instrument or two starting with a uke.

Thought it would be a good prelude to some day building a regular uke. plus i have a strong interest in making my own stuff/being self sufficient and i love the term home made music.

i have looked at papas boxes but lean towards getting a neck and parts from mainland uke since i prefer tuners on the head.

I am not a master crafts man but i am pretty handy when i have to be.

I would be interested in peoples opinion of cigar box ukes in general and papas boxes vs making one from mainland parts.

lots of stuff on yt and the net in general.

on YT some sound allright but many dont sound all that great. i realize that could just be the recording being poor.

whats my chances of building some thing that sounds and plays nice?

thanks eor

Last edited:
First here is a link to all of my papas boxes articles
http://ukeeku.com/category/brands/papas-boxes/
the one thing to keep in mind is how much do you want to figure out v. having figured out for you like a PB kit. Also finding a box that sounds good is a pain, I just used a hobby box for my last one and it worked well.
good luck, and can't wait to see what you come up with.

Just picked up two boxes today. No necks yet, but I'll figure something out.

hi folks

have been thinking of building a cigar box instrument or two starting with a uke.

Thought it would be a good prelude to some day building a regular uke. plus i have a strong interest in making my own stuff/being self sufficient and i love the term home made music.

i have looked at papas boxes but lean towards getting a neck and parts from mainland uke since i prefer tuners on the head.

I am not a master crafts man but i am pretty handy when i have to be.

I would be interested in peoples opinion of cigar box ukes in general and papas boxes vs making one from mainland parts.

lots of stuff on yt and the net in general.

on YT some sound allright but many dont sound all that great. i realize that could just be the recording being poor.

whats my chances of building some thing that sounds and plays nice?

thanks eor

So you're pretty handy and want to be self sufficient. So build your own. A piece of 2x1 will work as a neck. My first three were CB based. None sounded great but they helped me gain an understanding of the force and dynamics of stringed instruments. And remember, your first doesnt need to be a mercedes. Start with mini minors and try to do better with each instument. You'd be amazed how quickly improvements can happen. if i really wanted a great sounding CB uke i'd build my own cedar CB and make it look like a CB. nice and light. 1.8mm thick top etc.

So you're pretty handy and want to be self sufficient. So build your own ( box) .

I have been thinking about that as well both for a uke and an electric cbg as well.

I was rooting around in my father in laws shop and came across four big boxes of mahogany some body had given him about 5 years ago. a bunch of various size strips and thin boards... 18 in x 3-4 in wide x 3/16 - 1/4 in thick.

its all real nice, bone dry and straight as an arrow. I sanded a few peices and its beutiful.

thinking maybe a real thin cedar or spruce top with thicker mahogany back and sides. or maybe all mahogany

would there be any advantage to having the back the same thickness/ material as the sound board?

would 3/16- 1/4 in be to thick for the sides/back even if the sound board is regular thickness??

thanks eor

"I was rooting around in my father in laws shop and came across four big boxes of mahogany some body had given him about 5 years ago. a bunch of various size strips and thin boards... 18 in x 3-4 in wide x 3/16 - 1/4 in thick."

It was meant to be! Make the old wood sing.

"I was rooting around in my father in laws shop and came across four big boxes of mahogany some body had given him about 5 years ago. a bunch of various size strips and thin boards... 18 in x 3-4 in wide x 3/16 - 1/4 in thick."

It was meant to be! Make the old wood sing.

hi
yer right...maybe meant to be..........

I'd go all Mahogany. Cos it's there. Any thickness for the sides. It wont make much difference at this stage of the game. Make the top around 1.8mm thick. For a soprano add a bridge patch, for concert patch and two fan braces, for tenor patch and 3 fans. the back can be the same thickness or not. The first hurdle is how to put together a soundboard. Don't over think things.

I have built three from Mainland parts, and I am today doing a guitar (steel string, humbucker). I would say that is the best way to go, but in the future, I am going to cut the top off the box and make a thinner top with sitka spruce as my only problem is volume. Definitely go over and look at Cigar BOx Nation- lots of great ideas there on how to do it, but really, if you can work a dremel and a drill, you can do this easily.

I'd go all Mahogany. Cos it's there. Any thickness for the sides. It wont make much difference at this stage of the game. Make the top around 1.8mm thick. For a soprano add a bridge patch, for concert patch and two fan braces, for tenor patch and 3 fans. the back can be the same thickness or not. The first hurdle is how to put together a soundboard. Don't over think things.

Liam....I'm so proud of you. My first serious student is all grown up. Good onya mate.

I have built three from Mainland parts, and I am today doing a guitar (steel string, humbucker). .

how did yoou square the neck where it meets the box?

would like to see that guitar..

tx eor

Top Bottom