REVIEW - Ohana 5 String (TK-35G-5)

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's my review of the new Ohana 5 String Tenor (TK-35G-5). It is the production model that I have used in this video. It has only been on the market for about a week. We had it on display at this year's Winter NAMM in Anahein.

I am aware that because I work for Ohana the term "review" may not be the correct word to describe this video, but that's what I have always called them, so who cares? The video is meant to help make people aware of the new uke, not to persuade them to buy it.

Ohana TK-35G-5. Review of the new 5 String Tenor Ukulele

Thanks for watching.

LOL, yes Ken, if Ohana really wanted to sell this uke they would have had a scantily clad young woman playing the uke on Kailua beach! Of course, sick people like us actually prefer your review! : )

Very nice review Ken! I will do a review soon too (not scantly clad by the beach, though), as soon as I get a few free moments. I am one of the lucky few who bought one of these gems, and I have to say I am really loving it! I am very impressed with the instrument... it sounds great, and it plays smoothly. I don't even notice that I am fretting 2 strings. I have tried 6 string and 8 string ukuleles, and they were very interesting and full sounding. But the 8 string fatigued my hand quickly, and the 6 string double courses sounded strange for most finger picking melodies. But the double G string is perfect for me, giving that melodic high/ low option, and the added fullness to the strumming. I predict is going to be very popular, so I suggest people ask their Ohana dealers to order one (and make sure they reserve it for you). I think they will end up selling these as fast as they can make them. I have quite a few ukuleles, and this one has become one of my very favorites.. right up there next to my Kanile'a superconcert. I think it is my "desert island" uke... y'know, if you could only take one uke to a desert island...etc.

–Lori

Very interesting. My first thought was "eh, no use for it" - after all, I gave away my 8-string because I didn't like the doubled up strings and didn't much care for a low G string. Then I thought a little more and realized that what I mostly didn't care for with the 8-string was the other string courses (and especially the C) being doubled. As for the "low G sound" I've actually got my tenor strung low-g now and it's growing on me. Sigh - UAS is such a permanent affliction...

Okay, it's driving me crazy - what was the tune Ken played there at the end (starting somewhere near the 7 minute mark)? I could almost sing the words - except that I couldn't. Arggghhh!

John

BeeGees, "It's Only Words" or just "Words"
–Lori

Thanks - makes sense now. Loved the Bee Gees - especially before they made it big and switched to disco. IMHO Odessa was one of the best albums of its era.

Going to have to go dig out the Bee Gees stuff, now. :)

John

Thought I was having Déjà vu, but then I remembered you had a video with Kimo Hussey playing one of these. Guess it was just the prototype back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QultZAsIWJk

Any significant changes between the prototype and the production model?

Yes Doug, this instrument has been a while in development. We wanted to get it right. In the videos Kimo and I did together during last year's Dallas Festival, Kimo was playing the prototype.

There are no major changes. It sounds the same. The following are the only real differences:

1. The prototype had white plastic binding, the prododuction model uses solid rosewood.
2. The headstock is slightly shorter on the production model and is faced with rosewood.
3. The rosette was wider on the prototype.

Well, I played the proto-type in Napa last fall and was impressed.
I had actually thought about having a 5 string built a few years ago as I could not decide between hig/low g.
When Ohana said this model would be out late summer 2010 I thought I will wait. Late summer turned to fall then to winter 2011.
Anyway, I finally got one. Very nice instrument, I am sure being a solid wood uke it will open up a bit as I play it and I will learn to get the most out it.
Thanks Mike@ Republic for the super service. I really wanted to play and buy one from a local dealer, but there are no Ohana dealers in my town.

Top Bottom