My Koaloha Cracked

bt93

Reaction score
I just took my uke out of the case and was inspecting it and noticed two 1 inch cracks on the back and a piece of the back seperating from the sides. I am so upset right now.:mad: I haven't played this uke in about a month and a half and its been sitting in the case with a humidifier all that time. I know Koaloha has the warranty, but how much would something like this cost to get fixed by a local luthier (so I don't have to ship my uke away for a month or two)? I don't even want to play it right now because I don't want to make the cracks worse. Any help is appreciated. I can post pics later tonight once I find my camera.

Pics would help - but... call and/or email KoAloha w/pictures & then arrange to send it to them. Don't let anyone else do the work. (Unless you live next door to one of the great luthiers on this board - I wouldn't trust either of my KoAloha's to anyone w/o LOTS of uke repair experience.

Pics would help - but... call and/or email KoAloha w/pictures & then arrange to send it to them. Don't let anyone else do the work. (Unless you live next door to one of the great luthiers on this board - I wouldn't trust either of my KoAloha's to anyone w/o LOTS of uke repair experience.

I called them and am going to send them pics. I just don't want to have to send it away for 2 months

I called them and am going to send them pics. I just don't want to have to send it away for 2 months

I can relate - I just handed my KoAloha Super Concert to a local artist who my wife commissioned to do an oil painting for me for my Birthday & he is only going to keep it long enough to photograph it from every angle before bringing it back. (He's also a good friend, so he will treat it well)

Where do you live and what is the humidity in your area? Most humidifiers will only release moisture for about a week (less in areas of lower humidity) do if you put the humidifier in the case and never touched it for 45 days it could have cracked from low humidity. If you live in Hawaii, never mind... : )

As a temporary cure, you could refill your humidifier and put in the case and leave it closed for a week. Sometimes the increased humidity swells the wood and the cracks seal up. That could tie you over until you're ready to send it in or find a local luthier to do the work. Personally, I would send it to KoAloha. Here is what they did after I dropped my uke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f....-I-dropped-my-KoAloha...&p=422732#post422732

Where do you live bt93? If you're in so cal, I know a luthier I'd trust.

(hello Ronnie, it was good to meet you)

Here's what I would do if my only uke cracked.
I'd buy another one of equal or better quality and possibly different size.
Then I would send my KoAloha to the KoAloha hospital for repair or replacement. (their choice)
When it is returned you will have two excellent ukes for different tunings or voices.

I am noticing that my Oasis humidifiers are needing to be refilled more frequently... perhaps every two weeks. People probably need to refill more often then they think. I know it is especially difficult to remember if an instrument hasn't been used in a while. I am going to pay greater attention to my humidifying schedule. Thanks for the reminder, and I hope your KoAloha is returned to you good as new.

–Lori

I am sorry about your cracks and have two instruments that are solid myself....

Sorry to hear about the cracks. I also know what it is like to have one's preferred instrument in the hospital for a while. Wish you could get a loaner. Honestly, you have to keep the humidifier damp; if you did this, and it still cracked, perhaps it is not large enough for the ukulele. I have an oasis humidifier in the case with my Kamaka concert. By itself, the hygrometer never reads above 40-42. So I put in 3 small, homemade humidifiers as well. Now the hygrometer reads 52-54. So, when you get it back, make sure to check the humidifier every 4 or 5 days and consider purchasing a hygrometer.

Aloha BT93,
Sorry to hear about the cracks, I'd give KoAloha a call and tell them what you just told us....and see if they can help, they are pretty fast on repairs and depending how old your uke is they may come out'with a soulation for the both of you....they have an excellent service warranty....I'd email them photo's too...and see what they have to say at least....man, it never hurts to ask!! You never know! Good Luck!! MM Stan

I live in Michigan, and called koaloha. Brian was extremely friendly and helpful and just told me to email him pictures so that we can get it fixed.

Edit:I also keep two humidifiers in the case because it gets so dry down in my basement where I keep it. I had a herco one and a homemade pill jar humidifier

Top Bottom