How many Ukuleles, max two?

Ambrosius

Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie. Having my first Ukulele for some weeks. A Tenor size, Chinese made of some brand, Korala that is, probably the same factory as Kala (what's not Chinese these days?) (Well now, my very first entry was a toy like soprano given to me as a gift).

I'm a man well beyond the 50s, so it's amazing what is available as instructions and informations both on this forum and on the internet in general. I've learnt about low G's and re-entrance tuning. Been switching between low and re-entrance now twice (with the help of a classic guitar D-string). So now to my point, -

Low or high G makes it a complete different instrument. Re-entrance for strumming and low G for picking? As I see it now, I need a genuine Hawaiian piece with with "classical ukelele tuning, probably a Consert size for strumming and joy, and a Baritone (I have already a Tenor) size for mellow fingerpicking?

My dreamis to get a genuine Hawaiian made Koa Ukulele, hopefully to both my "needs".

UAS claims another!

You can get a Hawaiian Koa uke....ebay, Music Guy Mike....lots of other places! You deserve it......you are getting very sleepy......buy a Koa uke and create world peace.....

Does this help at all?

Been reading about Music Guy Mike on the forum, and has started following his e-bay site. Yhere is so few instruments now made in Hawaii, witout the very expencive and hard to get custom made. But I'm watching. Maybee I e-mail MGM for an advise. I'd like to have two twins, one for each playing style.

Aloha Ambrosis,
I'm wondering where you live..have you checked out the forums market place, craigslist, and Flea Market Music marketplace and Ebay....there are some good choices...Good Luck....Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Norway, Europe that is, mm stan. I'm new in this, but se an emediate need of two ukuleles, as I'm tired of switching between the two strings. My idea is that Ukulele is an Hawaiian instrument, and following I need to get it there.

Craiglist anf Flea Market was new to me. E-Bay I knew.

Maybee still I think I shall mail MSM for an advise. My vision is to get two twins, one smaller and the typical Uke sound, re-entrance tuning, and one with a more mellow sound. Both Hawaiian and simualr design and appairance.

I'd like to have two twins, one for each playing style.
Ah, but that's not as much fun as having two completely different ukes with different tonewoods and maybe different shapes (like regular and pineapple).

But I agree with your original assessment of re-entrant for strumming for that classic "ukey" sound, and low g for the added range you get for fingerpicking.

Aloha Ambrosis,
I hope you get to visit here....by the way, what is your criteria and budget?? just curious....MM Stan..

Been spending the last half hour typing a mail to Mike the Man for his suggestions. I love the bright sound of the Ukulele, the re-entrance tuning.

Every time I put my low G-on, I loose the Uke sound, My happy sound, while strumming. So I my opinion, everybody needs two.

Ah, but that's not as much fun as having two completely different ukes with different tonewoods and maybe different shapes (like regular and pineapple).

But I agree with your original assessment of re-entrant for strumming for that classic "ukey" sound, and low g for the added range you get for fingerpicking.

I see that my friend. I'm a newbie however. Musically I need two. With a growing interest I probably need a "hundred" :)

Budget?, as I wrote to Mike...adjustable but nothing is free when it comes to quality. I see some half a thousand each? 500? Would that be resonable? Compaired to a quality guitar that is maybe too low?

I was very wxcited when I found out the the author of "The left Brain Luthier" made Ukuleles in Hawaii Big Island. "This is my man" until I saw He'd retired :) I enjoy his internet site though.

Last edited:

I've come to love the "uke" sound. Still I want something to be "mellow" with, a more deep voice, fingerpicking.

Nothing sounds like a uke as much as a soprano does to me.

The soprano thinks its a ukulele.

The baritone thinks its a guitar.

The tenor sometimes thinks its a guitar and sometimes a uke.

The concert doesn't know what it is (only kidding). I think most people play the concert because they want the soprano sound, but can't seem to get their fingers on that small fret board easily. Then again, some very large people have learned to play the soprano.

Last edited:
Very good thoughts SweetWaterBlue.

I was a bit put off by the initial gift given to me, more like a toy then an ibstrument. I guess the playability that provided should not be compared to what a seriouce soprano can be. For the strumming, I love the bright sound. Consert size, - it's more of a concern for a grown man's fingers.

For the Baritone, is it underestimated? I'm looking for and instrument playing traditional Hawaiian music? I'm very keen in learning the corners required to understand the different tuning.

I was a bit put off by the initial gift given to me, more like a toy then an ibstrument. I guess the playability that provided should not be compared to what a seriouce soprano can be. For the strumming, I love the bright sound. Consert size, - it's more of a concern for a grown man's fingers.

For the Baritone, is it underestimated? I'm looking for and instrument playing traditional Hawaiian music? I'm very keen in learning the corners required to understand the different tuning.
If you really want the traditional Hawaiian sound, a soprano in re-entrant tuning is probably your best bet.

A lot of people think baris are too much like guitars. They generally don't have the traditional ukey sound when strummed.

I like re-entrant tuning for strumming and re-entrant tuning for fingerstyle. A concert uke is the most versatile for me.

This reminds me of what a friend said to me one day. After he told me he owns 7 Harley Davidson motorcycles, I asked him, "How many motorcycles does one man need?" His reply?
"Just one more."

Aloha Ambrosius.....
Deep rich sound...best bang for the buck....KPK soprano with a wood nut and saddle.....it stands for Koa Pili Koko...solid Acacia...related to koa..
$140.00 for regular soprano
$165.00 for deluxe soprano with shell purfling....
Check into it...Good Luck!! Happy Strummings....MM Stan
Best under the radar ukulele....in my opinion..

Aloha Ambrosius.....
Deep rich sound...best bang for the buck....KPK soprano with a wood nut and saddle.....it stands for Koa Pili Koko...solid Acacia...related to koa..
$140.00 for regular soprano
$165.00 for deluxe soprano with shell purfling....
Check into it...Good Luck!! Happy Strummings....MM Stan
Best under the radar ukulele....in my opinion..
2nding stan's recommendation of the KPK soprano. You'll get the traditional hawaiian sound you're after and a quality instrument at a great price.

as to the question of how many ukes...hmmm...I am a self confessed uke pig and too many is not enough I'm afraid! :eek:

Top Bottom