Gut strings on a Mahalo!

misty

Reaction score
I went to the music shop and got some Aquila strings to put on my Mahalo I got yesterday. They were more expensive than I expected, $30 instead of $15 like I had read. I put it up to retail mark-up and paid it. Got home and realized they are REAL gut strings!

They sound amazing. They cost the same as the ukulele! I am amused. :)

Aloha Misty,
I think that was a huge mark-up...you should have bought them on line....I sure you could have gotten the alot cheaper than that...where do you live again???because that's outragous, I would have walked.....
but I'm happy you like them....have fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings....MM Stan..

Aloha Misty,
I think that was a huge mark-up...you should have bought them on line....I sure you could have gotten the alot cheaper than that...where do you live again???because that's outragous, I would have walked.....
but I'm happy you like them....have fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings....MM Stan..

These are gut, not Nylgut. And I live in Australia where everything costs more. Hard to find online, but I found them priced alongside the Nylgut ones here http://westwoodguitarcompany.com/Strings.htm and here http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4590. Both places more than I paid if you convert the currency.

Last edited:
These are gut, not Nylgut. And I live in Australia where everything costs more. Hard to find online, but I found them priced alongside the Nylgut ones here http://westwoodguitarcompany.com/Strings.htm and here http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4590. Both places more than I paid if you convert the currency.
Aloha Misty,
Gee, I thought you lived in the states.....I remember here in hawaii, when the aquila first came out, I went to the music store and asked for them...the guy told me it was
$20.00 and I told him no thanks and I turned away he called and said, wait I'll give them to you for ten dollars..he probally saw the disgust in my face..he he.....
I read somewhere that true gut strings are made from sheeps intestines...whether that
is true, I don't know...still don't understand why they are so expensive..
But I'm happy you like them and they work for you..if you have problems with getting them in the future, just ask me and I'll be happy to get them in the states for you and
send them to you...anytime...let me know...I wouldn't want anybody to pay those absorbant prices.. Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan
P.S. those strings would fit in a standard international postage envelope for 97cents..:)

nylgut sounds better.

gah. nylgut sounds better. and your blooming fingers don't have to touch the remains of a dead animals.
quite a paradox... :mraz:

interesting thread here. gut strings?

30 AUD is about £18 UK. That is a big markup - I can buy those in UK for £12.

AS above though, just go with Nylgut strings, they are superb and half the price.

I just bought a set of aquila nylgut strings for $6.18 including shipping in the US... wow.. Glad that you like them though.

It's not like I bought them on purpose, and I probably won't get them again. I posted it because it was a silly mistake I made. I'm not going to stress out about losing a few dollars, I'm here to have fun!

It looks like in future, online is the way to go, though. Australian retailers mark things up in a way that is shameful. They blame shipping costs and exchange rate, but I can often get the same thing shipped from the UK for half the price, after currency conversion and shipping. It is really annoying, because I really want to support local retailers but I don't want to get ripped off all the time. The worst items are electronics and musical gear.

hey misty...slow down. sorry for the negative tone of my post... i know how you feel.. once upon a time i wanted to learn how to play the violin,,, until i found out that the bow is made outta' horseytailhair and it's almost a requirement to use catgut strings... get this now... for the sound. peace.

Last edited:
...still don't understand why they are so expensive...

try to take a look at this one:

If you consider all the work -and love- that is put into producing one single string, I cannot but find the price very acceptable...

Nylgut is made like this:

Last edited:
I'd say if you like the sound of your uke then it was worth the extra $$$.
DAP

Top Bottom