C diminished chord - boot camp

misty

Reaction score
How can I play the C diminished chord 2323? I suppose I could bar the second fret, but how do I use finger 3 on the C and A strings but not the E string? Trying to do the second progression in the boot camp. It looks like I could do 2324 instead? What am I missing?

I am an idiot. I realized the 2323 referred to the frets, not the fingers. Here can I find guidance on finger placement?

I would play as follows:

Frets 2323
Fingers 1324

In the BootCamp#1 I would also finger the C before as xxx4 and the Dm7 afetr as 2314 - Note you have not moved your pinky
HIH!

yeah misty, I think gnomethang's got it.

Picture it like you're playing a basic "G" chord, but one string up...so your index finger position is on the G string as opposed to the C string.

Then, you just add your pinky on the 3rd fret, A string underneath.

Thanks! So the point is to move as few fingers as possible? It looks like the hoot camp is supposed to have suggested fingerings but doesn't...

yeah, I guess that's always the challenge with the ukulele, to look for little short cuts and shared notes between chords so as to make all your transitions as smooth as possible.

Misty, when I was on page#4 (in A) of BootCamp I also realised that from D to Dm6 it is much easier to finger the D as 234 instead of 123 in order to not shuffle your fingers around. I recently posted a question about this in general and it looks like eugene has confirmed my suspicions.
Now HOW one realises the best transition prior to playing is a different story but I am sure that practice will resolve this for both (and all) of us!.

Happy Strumming!

I would play as follows:

Frets 2323
Fingers 1324

In the BootCamp#1 I would also finger the C before as xxx4 and the Dm7 afetr as 2314 - Note you have not moved your pinky
HIH!

That's my method +1

Hi Folks

Just for fun, you can play Cdim chord (to be exact, this is Cdim7 chord) in many ways

11 12 11 12

(they are the same fingering and it sounds really cool if you strum 2323 once and then move to 5656, strum, move to 8989 and strum and move to 11 12 11 12).

Along the same line, Cdim7 can be

2 0 2 0

5 0 5 0

8 0 8 0

11 0 11 0

You can do the strum&move on this form too!

Cheers
Chief

Also, fingering G with holding a G7 with your pinky on the third fret, second string allows easy transitions to G7 and E7. That's what Jim Beloff recommends and it works but it takes a while to relearn the finger positions from the standard G fingering.

Hi Folks

Just for fun, you can play Cdim chord (to be exact, this is Cdim7 chord) in many ways

11 12 11 12

(they are the same fingering and it sounds really cool if you strum 2323 once and then move to 5656, strum, move to 8989 and strum and move to 11 12 11 12).

Along the same line, Cdim7 can be

2 0 2 0

5 0 5 0

8 0 8 0

11 0 11 0

You can do the strum&move on this form too!

Cheers
Chief

Thanks Chief! - That is one of the more amusing things to do on the guitar - also the third thing that I tried on my Uke!
Works lije a charm when you keep upping it by a semitone!

Top Bottom