Ukes, cases, carry-on sizes?

kissing

Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been answered.

Last year I got on a flight with a Soprano uke as carry on luggage.
But up to size do they allow?

If I had a Concert, tenor or baritone in one of those UkeCrazy hard cases (the black canvas/hard foam ones), would they let me on?

Going to Thailand in a bit over a week on a mission trip. So much to do, mentally prepare for, etc... and the hardest decision I'm finding to make is WHICH UKE TO TAKE?

It's so hard!

The airline you're traveling should have carry-on dimensions listed on their web site.

When we travel, my concert is my personal item (our cat is my carry-on). My husband's tenor is his carry-on. We take both ukes in gig bags.

Your former Risa concert goes in my checked bag, well-padded with clothing. :D

I have taken a soprano,concert, and tenor uke as a carry on (not all at once). I think for the most part it will be cool to carry on a uke. Sometimes there might be a gate agent that is a stickler for rules,but i have not had issues before.

I have carried my tenor uke on flights on a number of airlines, and never had to check it. I think the key is to be nonchalant, act as though there is no problem. That being said, if you can use a strap to put it on your back, or hold it in the hand away from the gate agent, that helps too.

Went to and from Cali with a tenor. One of the Kamaka guys who lives in Charlotte had his Baritone. There were a lot of people traveling with intruments to and from NAMM. I think the airlines were just grateful it was not a guitar. There were a lot of guitars people would not check (and I dont blame them). I think they are used to that. My tenor case exceeded the "check your carry on size here" limit, but it fits well in the overheads with everyone elses' stuff, so I dont think they will care.

Top Bottom