PDA

View Full Version : Ukes, cases, carry-on sizes?

kissing
01-29-2011, 03:30 AM
My apologies if this has already been answered.

Last year I got on a flight with a Soprano uke as carry on luggage.
But up to size do they allow?

If I had a Concert, tenor or baritone in one of those UkeCrazy hard cases (the black canvas/hard foam ones), would they let me on?

Going to Thailand in a bit over a week on a mission trip. So much to do, mentally prepare for, etc... and the hardest decision I'm finding to make is WHICH UKE TO TAKE?

It's so hard!

SailQwest
01-29-2011, 03:45 AM
The airline you're traveling should have carry-on dimensions listed on their web site.

When we travel, my concert is my personal item (our cat is my carry-on). My husband's tenor is his carry-on. We take both ukes in gig bags.

Your former Risa concert goes in my checked bag, well-padded with clothing. :D

dnewton2
01-29-2011, 04:20 AM
I have taken a soprano,concert, and tenor uke as a carry on (not all at once). I think for the most part it will be cool to carry on a uke. Sometimes there might be a gate agent that is a stickler for rules,but i have not had issues before.

wickedwahine11
01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I have carried my tenor uke on flights on a number of airlines, and never had to check it. I think the key is to be nonchalant, act as though there is no problem. That being said, if you can use a strap to put it on your back, or hold it in the hand away from the gate agent, that helps too.

Mim
01-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Went to and from Cali with a tenor. One of the Kamaka guys who lives in Charlotte had his Baritone. There were a lot of people traveling with intruments to and from NAMM. I think the airlines were just grateful it was not a guitar. There were a lot of guitars people would not check (and I dont blame them). I think they are used to that. My tenor case exceeded the "check your carry on size here" limit, but it fits well in the overheads with everyone elses' stuff, so I dont think they will care.

pdxuke
01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
That's why everyone who travels needs one of these:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-sopranino-ukulele-sk-21:music::love: