Fungus and Poplar, so whut are you doing?

Vic D

Reaction score
I ain't been doin' jack. Slowly getting a few things done though, bout to kick it into high gear.
Here's one of the two ambrosia maples coming together, gonna shoot it tomorrow. Maple back and sides, mineral stained poplar (black) binding and neck stripe, expensive dadgum engelman spruce braces, mahogany heel block, three piece poplar tail block, headplate is MOP dove and peace sign (koa?) on mineral stained poplar, blue/green speckled corian nut and saddle, honduras rosewood fretboard and bridge. Gonna get geared tuners and aquila strings.

This is my new headstock and fretboard design, it's a cross between the martin style and my clubs style and it allows for the grovers.

Just gorgeous! Please tell me you will put "Pegheds" on it instead of anything geared or shiny?! The black retro look would fit this uke to a T. IMO

@Dave G, It was a winning combination. :cool:

@Gmoney, Thanks! and you're absolutely right. I was going to put Grover geared nickle with black on it but I didn't care for it either. I just ordered some black Grover pegs.

Last edited:
Aloha Vic D, very nice. Great job, looks like you been busy to me. Thanks for sharing your progress.

"Fungus and Poplar"

I used to really love their old Vaudeville routines. They were a classic

I'm just coming out of hibernation as well Vic...That was a nasty winter:(....Spring is nearly here.:)...some nice projects there ..the "Peace Dove" should be your trade mark.

Good looking work, Vic. It's good to see you are back at it again. Is this your first inlay? It looks tight.

WOW!!! I remember your post of the wood. You've turned it into a real beauty. Anxiously waiting to see it complete and hear you play it.

Aloha Vic,
Looks awesome and beautiful man....isn't it dangerous breathing that type of bacterial dust?? please be careful..thanks for sharing..MM Stan

Was the maple hard to work with Vic? It has a great look.
Doug

Well, when I first got it I was told it had been "curing" under tarps for a year, at that time the bandsaw protested so much I immediately put it aside halfway between my damp basement and cracker dry upstairs for a year. When I went to cut into it again last fall it cut pretty good, very similar to poplar it seems. Not as easy as Spanish cedar or as predictable as mahogany but not too bad at all really. I grabbed one piece of this stuff, I could have loaded my little Nissan truck bed with it for about 40 bucks... I just didn't know what I was looking at.

I'm just coming out of hibernation as well Vic...That was a nasty winter:(....Spring is nearly here.:)...some nice projects there ..the "Peace Dove" should be your trade mark.

The term hibernation has definitely come up in my thoughts a lot recently. I'm done moaning about the lack of a white Christmas for a long, long time. It's funny you mention the Peace Dove being my trade mark... I recently printed a few sheets loaded with them. :)

Good looking work, Vic. It's good to see you are back at it again. Is this your first inlay? It looks tight.

Thanks Ken! This is my 2nd inlay, the same as the Fun Build only this one is a tad smaller. I have to say, when I did the first one I thought to myself "Yeah right, mine is gonna fit perfect the first time." And you know what... it didn't. You're up on it with magnifying goggles and everything looks absolutely perfect and then you go to place it and sometimes it takes forever to find out what's hanging on what, but when it all sits down right it's a great feeling of accomplishment. I'll be doing sparrows going down the next ambrosia maple uke.

WOW!!! I remember your post of the wood. You've turned it into a real beauty. Anxiously waiting to see it complete and hear you play it.

Thank you so much ADD ( Dunno if it's OK to use your real name ). I'm hoping it sounds as good as it should, having basically followed the best of my last bunch. We'll see. :)

Aloha Vic,
Looks awesome and beautiful man....isn't it dangerous breathing that type of bacterial dust?? please be careful..thanks for sharing..MM Stan

I had the same thought, so I searched it out and basically if you've got allergies it's iffy, if not then just make sure you wear your respirator ( which I always do when I'm making dust anyway ) and clean up after yourself, which I'm bad about doing, especially after my shop vac bit the dust one month out of warranty... ugh!!!

Very nice Sven! Love the style you do and they always sound terrific, and of course the neck stripes... my cup of tea. Have a good time in Africa, that must be fascinating work. Do you ever get time to work on your own designs?

Top Bottom