What, for you pushes your abilities on uke?

bobyman122

Reaction score
Hey i have been playing uke for about three years now, some of you know me and some dont. But i feel like i have come to a standstill in my learning, and i am looking for new things to push my abilities and ways to become better.. So, what for you as a fellow uker and musician pushes you playing wise?

bobyman121, is my youtube check it out!

I'm still new enough to the uke that I haven't hit that "plateau" yet but I've found that with other instruments I usually see a "growth spurt" after experimenting with a different instrument for a while. I played guitar for years and had pretty much "plateaued" until I switched to bass a couple of years ago. Bass players get a bad rap along with drummers but I discovered that I really had to swallow all the jokes I'd made about bass players over the years. I learned "tightness" from playing bass, and also learned that "everything's in a box, you just have to find the sides of the box." The bottom line is that the guitars can wander all over the place without much impact, but if the drums and bass aren't tight and in the pocket, the band sucks! As a result, my guitar playing improved even though I play guitar pretty infrequently now.

John

Just got the John King classical book today. It's definitely going to be a work-out!

Aloha Bobyman122,
Buy those turorial DVD's and learn different techniques to keep it fresh...then try to apply them to your current style....

I got the chance to play in a large jam setting, where everyone but me was pretty familiar with the tunes being played (and they all played fiddle...not sure if my uke belonged there, but who cares). I have to admit, my bones came out a lot and the Uke got shelved...but there were some I tried to keep on and I learned quite a bit.

Vurtualy everything is very difficult for me for example struming patterns other than up down up down up down ect. Picking of any kind making any sounds with my mouth while playing shuts off my hands it's almost as if strumming is all my brain can handle without shutting down LOL

I hit a plateau quite a while back. I tried to "push" myself to the next level by watching hundreds of YouTube videos of people who play many times better than I do. Soon I found that the uke was becoming too much work and I decided that, after a lifetime of being a professional drummer and having to bust my ass to keep my chops up, I didn't want that same pressure with the uke. So now my mission is just to commit as many 3 & 4-chord songs and lyrics to memory as I can and to use my uke to create many happy memories with my family.

I hit a plateau quite a while back. I tried to "push" myself to the next level by watching hundreds of YouTube videos of people who play many times better than I do. Soon I found that the uke was becoming too much work and I decided that, after a lifetime of being a professional drummer and having to bust my ass to keep my chops up, I didn't want that same pressure with the uke. So now my mission is just to commit as many 3 & 4-chord songs and lyrics to memory as I can and to use my uke to create many happy memories with my family.
Sounds of joy- QFT Papa Tom

No kidding! I played in front of my daughter's second grade class and nearly had a coronary...dry mouth, heart racing...didn't know eight year olds could be so scary!

Heh, heh. Kids are the scariest - they don't have any filters - if you stink they'll let you know about it really quick!

John

Heh, heh. Kids are the scariest - they don't have any filters - if you stink they'll let you know about it really quick!

John

Later I had another mom tell me that her daughter had told her about my little concert and had asked her "what do YOU play Mommy?" So I guess I'll take that as a positive review. Whew!

Try recording yourself and playing it back. Be critical and see where you are going wrong. I always go along with the statement that there is no such thing as prefection so we can always keep improving.

Try recording yourself and playing it back. Be critical and see where you are going wrong. I always go along with the statement that there is no such thing as prefection so we can always keep improving.

Totally agree with Mr Pitchy. Nothing is as confronting as hearing what you really sound like to others. Home recording is such a quick learning tool, because you can instantly hear the areas / parts of a song or melody you are struggling with. In that way, it is a fantastic means of focusing your practice time.

Just stepped into the world of chord soloing. If you haven't done it, basically you take a tune, and every melody note is the top of a chord. So, you're switching positions almost every single note of the melody. It's GREAT practice, sounds pretty good done slowly, and obviously filters into all kinds of other skills: basic position switching, knowing chord inversions, knowing chords EVERYWHERE on the neck, arranging - cos the chord has to FIT the song harmonically. Fun, but you get your fingers into a crazy tangle. And I found a chord position, which in one position (2-4-3-3) I finger one way, and in another (8-10-9-9) I have to finger another.

It's very gymnastic, but done right sounds wonderful. I have the Lyle Ritz Jazz book, and that has Fly Me to the Moon as a chord solo in the back. I think there's another book which is JUST chord solos. Need to pick that up.

The other thing I would add, is that it's a very flexible technique, applicable to all kinds of situations. 10-finger rolls are a beast to master, but I think they evoke a very particular genre (though it would be fun to remove them from flamenco - hmmmmmmmmmm).

Anyhoo, my 2 cents.

Totally agree with Mr Pitchy. Nothing is as confronting as hearing what you really sound like to others. Home recording is such a quick learning tool, because you can instantly hear the areas / parts of a song or melody you are struggling with. In that way, it is a fantastic means of focusing your practice time.

:agree: I find that it's best to be overly critical of yourself in that respect, that way you're improving all the time, it's how I've learnt and gone from my first video to where I was before I had to stop playing for a while and now I'm a little back but getting back to where I was all the time!

Good Luck!

Top Bottom