Low G or High G

Sweeper

Reaction score
I just bought a Lanikai and I'm learning to play. This is my first time learning any instrument. Mine is strung with a high G string. I see that a ukulele may also be strung with a low G. I understand that the low G is an octave lower than the high G, but what would be the reason for using the low G. Does this change the way the ukulele is played? Or is it just a personal preference for the lower sound?

Hi, Sweeper, welcome to UU!

High G gives you more of the traditional "ukey" sound while strumming. Low G gives you more range, which is helpful with fingerpicking certain tunes.

I look at it as a good excuse to have one in each tuning. :)

I understand that the low G is an octave lower than the high G, but what would be the reason for using the low G. Does this change the way the ukulele is played? Or is it just a personal preference for the lower sound?

For some it's a matter of personal preference, for others (who do more fingerpicking than strumming) it's useful because it allows for lower notes than middle C.

But yeah - as itsme said, it's a great reason to *need* more than one uke!

I think it also helps to take into account the type of music you prefer to play. Some songs definitely sound better with a high g, and some songs sound better with a low g. Plus as itsme and janeray pointed out, if you are a strummer it is really up to your ear's personal preference, but if you decide to fingerpick melodies, the low g is a great addition. For me, when I did mainly strumming, it didn't matter that much, but once I started to fingerpick more, I transitioned over to low g as my "go to uke."

That being said, just my opinion, but if you are just starting out I think you are better off sticking to high g right now. Most of the tabs you find will be for re-entrant "high g" tuning so you will have more materials at your disposal. Plus, it is the traditional "ukey" sound in the high g tuning. I would learn the basics of the instrument before deviating into alternative tunings.

Or as the other posters mentioned, you can always get more than one uke to have one in each tuning.

Aloha Sweeper, welcome to UU. Happy strumming low or high G.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for the information and advice. For now - it's High G strumming for me !

Hi and welcome! I have a Boulder Creek Riptide tenor uke. It came with a high g, and I had it restrung with a low g. I just like the more mellow sound of the low g. The chords are the same fingering. Like everyone else said, though, it's what sound you like best. I'm thinking of getting another tenor uke with the high g. Those of us who are in love with ukes do want to have more than one, or two.... I think they call it "ukulele acquisiton syndrome"... I wasn't a believer till I got "into" the uke.

Happy strumming!

it's what type of sound you are looking for. hope it helps :)

Isuggest multiple ukuleles...some tuned Low G for plucking and others tuned high G for strumming....but authentic sounds come from high G....

Most tabs will be in high g but its useful to have both just in case. In the end it will come down to personal prefrence on which tuning you like better.

It depends on what kind of songs you like to play. Braddah IZ played with low G, and a lot of hawaiian songs have it too, So I use this tuning for this type of music.

Isuggest multiple ukuleles...some tuned Low G for plucking and others tuned high G for strumming....but authentic sounds come from high G....

Don't forget D reentrant tuning for a soprano uke too!

That Ohana 5-string isn't really being produced yet, is it? Apparently it was supposed to be out half a year ago.. but I don't see it announced anywhere. I'm a bit interested.

That Ohana 5-string isn't really being produced yet, is it? Apparently it was supposed to be out half a year ago.. but I don't see it announced anywhere. I'm a bit interested.

According to Ken, it's in production, but you might need to specifically ask your dealer to order it.

I just bought a Lanikai and I'm learning to play. This is my first time learning any instrument. Mine is strung with a high G string. I see that a ukulele may also be strung with a low G. I understand that the low G is an octave lower than the high G, but what would be the reason for using the low G. Does this change the way the ukulele is played? Or is it just a personal preference for the lower sound?

it changes the sound. a g chord is still a g chord, etc. etc. etc. I do know some songs don't quite sound right with a low g or a high g. This is why I prefer two tenors. One in low g and one in high g.

I think it also helps to take into account the type of music you prefer to play. Some songs definitely sound better with a high g, and some songs sound better with a low g. Plus as itsme and janeray pointed out, if you are a strummer it is really up to your ear's personal preference, but if you decide to fingerpick melodies, the low g is a great addition. For me, when I did mainly strumming, it didn't matter that much, but once I started to fingerpick more, I transitioned over to low g as my "go to uke."

That being said, just my opinion, but if you are just starting out I think you are better off sticking to high g right now. Most of the tabs you find will be for re-entrant "high g" tuning so you will have more materials at your disposal. Plus, it is the traditional "ukey" sound in the high g tuning. I would learn the basics of the instrument before deviating into alternative tunings.

Or as the other posters mentioned, you can always get more than one uke to have one in each tuning.
I didn't think it made that much difference, but maybe it does. My first tenor came to me low g. It didn't change anything I did. Even now that I ahve been playing for many years, I still don't change the way i play for each uke. If no one has a low g, I break out the low g. If a few already ahve the low g, then I go with my high g. I really need to learn some of this theory stuff. So I can do things right.

It depends on what kind of songs you like to play. Braddah IZ played with low G, and a lot of hawaiian songs have it too, So I use this tuning for this type of music.

I think a majority of Hawaiian ukulele players prefer the low g on their tenors? Or at least that is what I read. It really comes down to preference. If we really were wanting a traditional sound, then we would go with sopranos.

For me its not an either/or question - I have both, even on my sopranos (the Dolphin is currently doing the high G thang, while the Ohana does the Low G honors). Try playing this wonderful Ohta San song on a soprano with a high G and let me know how you get on. Everytime I put a high G on my Ohana, this song draws me back to the low G.

But then there are pieces like this played with a high G

There is just no way to have just one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom