Antique ukulele identification and restoration help???

dbhorner3

Reaction score
Hi, I recently aquired this antique ukulele from my grandparents (they are antique dealers and didnt know what do to with it) and I can not find any markings or symbols on it. My grandpa guessed it was probably made in the 1920s or 1940s and it looks an awfull lot like a Martin Style 0 (except for the peculiar botttom of the neck design that i cant find anywhere online). In comparrison to my mahalo u30 it looks like a soprano. Can anyone help me to know what uke this is? Also, any restoration tips? the neck is starting to break off and their are multiple scratches on it. Here are some pics...

IMG_20110123_154505.jpgIMG_20110123_153753.jpgIMG_20110129_211815.jpgIMG_20110129_212044.jpgIMG_20110123_115844.jpg

Last edited:
ok i did some more research and i found a compnay that uses the matching pecualiar bottom of neck design and i think it might be a Maccaferri Islander?????

It's not a Maccaferri, although it does have a similar fretboard end. Maccaferris were plastic, and had white tops.

It's not a Maccaferri, although it does have a similar fretboard end. Maccaferris were plastic, and had white tops.

Oh your right. Silly me this one seems to be made of maybe mahogany??? Any suggestions

The neck relief angle is bad. The neck looks as though it needs to be reset. That crack in the back could be stabilized. It looks like it needs cleated at the very least.

The hardware looks much newer than the 1920s or even 1940s. I think it is much more recently manufactured. The frets look as if they are brass. That places the instrument in the low-end of the market price-range.

A modern maker that still uses brass frets on some models is Hilo, a cheap Chinese-made import.

I'm just guessing, but I'd say it might well cost more to repair it than it's worth. I'd hang it on the wall and put the money you'd spend fixing it towards a new uke.

Heh, the end of the fretboard is almost the mirror image of a Tabu...I wonder if it's an Ubat?

Okay...it's probably time for me to take my meds, now...

John

The neck relief angle is bad. The neck looks as though it needs to be reset. That crack in the back could be stabilized. It looks like it needs cleated at the very least.

The hardware looks much newer than the 1920s or even 1940s. I think it is much more recently manufactured. The frets look as if they are brass. That places the instrument in the low-end of the market price-range.

A modern maker that still uses brass frets on some models is Hilo, a cheap Chinese-made import.

I was thinking of trying to reglue the neck using titebond yello glue and filling in the cracks with some hide glue (learned about both of these from youtube). Do you think that would work?

I'm just guessing, but I'd say it might well cost more to repair it than it's worth. I'd hang it on the wall and put the money you'd spend fixing it towards a new uke.

your probably right maybe in a couple months i'll save up for a tenor. My friend has one and i love the sound and feel of it.

Heh, the end of the fretboard is almost the mirror image of a Tabu...I wonder if it's an Ubat?

Okay...it's probably time for me to take my meds, now...

John

whats a tabu and ubat? sorry im just a noob...

whats a tabu and ubat? sorry im just a noob...

Tabu was an old made-in-Hawaii ukulele brand. They come up once in a while on eBay. Ubat is, of course, a (sort of) mirror image of Tabu. Lame joke, actually, like I said, it's a bit past time for my meds. LOL

John

Top Bottom