$5 DIY uke case

ukeeku

Reaction score
So I found a great hard case for a uke, except it takes a little work.
The game DJ Hero is not flying off the shelves, but the controler comes with a nice case.
1123091510.jpg

1123091518.jpg

1123091511.jpg

It measures 25" x 12" x 6". my Oscar Schmidt OU2 is perfect inside of it, the only thing is that you have to do a little work to gut it and cover the holes where the legs screwed in and add some padding.

Just go to your local Best Buy and they should have some cases for $4.99. I will post something when I am done with my case.

Interesting... can't find the case alone anywhere online... but... will keep looking.

not online anymore, stores seem to still have them. If anyone would like one I can get one and send it. you just pay $5 + shipping.
PM me

I always thought this Danelectro pedal case would make a great Uke case but I've never seen one and have no idea what size it actually is. They're not cheap either but do look cool. Would be especially cool if you played an Eleuke through a Valve Junior.

Danelectro.jpg

I always thought this Danelectro pedal case would make a great Uke case but I've never seen one and have no idea what size it actually is. They're not cheap either but do look cool. Would be especially cool if you played an Eleuke through a Valve Junior.

Danelectro.jpg

That may fit a Risa stick. I think it is about 11-12" wide

Great idea.. But can't get the case here in Norway..
But I'm currently looking into getting or possibly making a hardcase for my eleuke.. It's tenor scale so it might be a bit big for that case?

How is this project going? I was thinking about trying it.
Can you unscrew the metal binding along the edges, or are they rivets? It would be interesting to cover it in fabric and reattach those. I think you could then use window insulating foam to fill those holes in (or a plug of blueboard, etc) and level them off with a razor. Covered by a nice, sturdy fabric, no one would be wiser.
Inside, you could do blueboard and fuzzy stuff, or just some "pick apart" foam.
Hoping for updates soon!

I saw a brand new tennis racket tote at a resale shop for $3, nicely padded, zipper pockets, handle... It was nicer than my Fluke gig bag by far.

Can you unscrew the metal binding along the edges, or are they rivets? It would be interesting to cover it in fabric and reattach those.

They look like rivets, but if you can pop them you might be able to find some way to replace them with some type of screw. if you were going to use fabric to cover the case what would you do to keep the "DJ Hero" logo from showing after you adhere the fabric?

Kurukato;608575 what would you do to keep the "DJ Hero" logo from showing after you adhere the fabric?[/QUOTE said:
I thought about that. I bet it would not show if you used a nice, textured, twill-y upholstery fabric. It's generally kind of thick.
I liked the pics. It would be great to have a case that I could carry 2 ukes AND music folders in. One for you, one for a friend or different tunings (someday). If I can get to a big box store, I'm going for it.
I admire your bargain-hunting, DIY skills. Good find.

Interesting... can't find the case alone anywhere online... but... will keep looking.

Glenn. Have you checked any brick and mortar stores? I was thinking of dropping the ToysRUs near Cumberland, but its next to the SamAsh, and I would be so tempted to go in and tune and play all their ukes, so I dunno.

found a case that might work better.

company called Intec makes accessories for video games
they make a case for carrying around the guitar hero controller.

The case is 12" wide, 4" thick and 31" long.
The insides are removed very easily so that you can make custom foam padding.
It may be a little thin for some ukes but it is going to be perfect for the tenor pineapple that I am building.

only $17

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Icon-Alu...KW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1298335265&sr=8-16

If you keep the cardboard box the uke is shipped in, it is not hard to paint it and attach some handles, so it can be a case that is included in the purchase price. If you want a fabric finish, just glue on some fabric. You can make a cardboard box look as cool as you like. If the uke came by mail, think about what the case has been through to get to you and you may realise that it is a good protection, and is worth keeping. Sometimes a seemingly strong case can be an illusion because you think it is stronger than it is and you do not take enough care and the uke gets damaged.

i know this is a old post but i couldn't help my self. when my friend got her ukulele she put duck tape all over her box. She used colorfull tape so it looked cool and made some handles with the duck tape and she even made a little pocket to put stuff in it looks really nice and its pretty strong.

Top Bottom