Nunes styled ukuleles

Uke Republic

Reaction score
We started carrying the Anuenue 1879 which is themed after the early ukuleles such as Nunes made. It is koa crazy(fingerboard, nut and saddle even) but anyway the style is a bit different from all the Martinesque or standard soprano ukuleles which we all love and know. How do you feel about the early styled ukuleles ?

About a year ago the manager of a store that carries my instruments gave me his 1920 Jonah Kumalae soprano and requested that I make some look alikes. I've made a number of them since out of various woods and they sell well. For such small instruments they are really loud.

Brad

Aloha MiKe,
I like the smallness and the light weght and the easy playability of that style of ukes..must be nice that the reproduction and having them new....should sell like hotcakes....
Now you got my UAS going again.......MM Stan

It got my UAS going too. Really cool Stan
Aloha MiKe,
I like the smallness and the light weght and the easy playability of that style of ukes..must be nice that the reproduction and having them new....should sell like hotcakes....
Now you got my UAS going again.......MM Stan

how does the 1879 sound Mike?
I have a YouTube sample up. It sounds beautiful, koa koa koa. The back is curved most likely carved. Really has great tone. Has a ultra cool vintage style case even.

Seems like a really cool uke. Classic good styling.
It says Hawaii on the head plate. Just curious, is the 1879 Anuenue made in Hawaii?

Found several "demos" on YouTube including this one in French that around the 3 min. point does a pretty thorough workout w/various playing styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYtEFJH4_k

The price seems a bit high for me personally, makes it almost a collector model, and I think that swapping out the Koa saddle & nut w/TUSC or bone would add a bit to the already bright sound.

I agree. One question. What does it smell like?
Woodsy koa:)
Other questions answered- I am told Vietnam is the country of origin. The reason for putting Hawaii on the decal is too pay tribute too the classic ukuleles. It says 1879 Vision Hawaii as that was the thoughts perhaps when the Portugese on the Ravenscraft. I bet they never new what an impact that vision would be.
The reason for it's price- loads of hand work , the inside is curved also , marquetry rosette, planetary tuners-Pegheads, curly koa, a custom case. A-1 finish. Plus no vintage issues:)

Beautiful uke, I love the old time look. My Kumalae is one of my favorites. It always amazes me how light it is and how much sound comes out of it.

I really dig the old Hawaiian styles. Tiny. Charming. Love to have one.

how much are these going to sell for?

Mike's got em on special with hard case at $725 at the moment....

ooooooooooh, this is awful. :stop: I promised myself no more ukes til mid year but..AAAAARGH the temptation on this sweety is ridiculous :uhoh:

Top Bottom